Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

So Joe Schmidt is "going nowhere". Well-not for another two years anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

christ, did sexton get it as bad as madigan is getting it now when he missed against the all blacks.

posters here saying go easy on the players, maybe someone should tell ex players and now schmidt to take it easy on madigan.
    its like a carry on film with all the innuendo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Can I ask you your pick for greatest player ever in any sport?

easy, barry mcguigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

QuinDixie wrote: »
    christ, did sexton get it as bad as madigan is getting it now when he missed against the all blacks.

posters here saying go easy on the players, maybe someone should tell ex players and now schmidt to take it easy on madigan.
    its like a carry on film with all the innuendo

Truth hurts , players have to man up, even it is Joe. Kicks cost WC's as England and possibly Ireland have seen this year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

duckysauce wrote: »
    Truth hurts , players have to man up, even it is Joe. Kicks cost WC's as England and possibly Ireland have seen this year .

They are not world class, that is the problem, people tend to look at 6N and make world class inferences on that tournament alone. It is now found out to be the poor man's tournament. No question about that. For me, this, coupled with Schmidt's conservative percentage and box kicking obsession always pointed to another abject world cup.
    Good to see a few pundits in the media finally waking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Shaun Edwards being linked with the defensive coach role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Alan Quinlan has Gerhard van den Heever as starting wing for Ireland in 2019.

I haven't been able to stop laughing since I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pudsy33 wrote: »

The anti-Irish welsh fans are going to go into overdrive if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The anti-Irish welsh fans are going to go into overdrive if it's true.
    Shaun does have relatives here. Wouldn't be the worst thing. Maybe he could be based at Ravenspan and kick some sense into the usual culprits.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »

[broken record]Yay, more project players playing for Ireland!!!! [/broken record]

There's a lot of competition for spots on the wings at Munster. There's no guarantee VDH will be with Munster next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Clegg wrote: »

Why? He is big and his nickname is Shadow because he is so fast. Couldn't we do with a few players who have pace and size in the mix (a la Shane Horgan)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

jm08 wrote: »
    Why? He is big and his nickname is Shadow because he is so fast. Couldn't we do with a few players who have pace and size in the mix (a la Shane Horgan)?

Are shadows fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Are shadows fast?
    Speed of Dark....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Are shadows fast?

They're impossible to catch...

He is far too raw to be in the mix. His pace is without question but the rest of his game...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

anyone else agree that leaving Andrew Trimble at home was a major mistake, against argentina Dave Kearney missed 5 easy tackles and didnt pose any threat in attack. Trimble as we know is excellent in defence and attack. Joe had the chance to bring him in after Payne was injured but decided against it. we still mite not have beaten argentina but we would have done a whole lot better with trimble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Bazzo wrote: »
    They're impossible to catch...

Joe won't be too concerned about that. He'll be interested in their box kicking ability.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

that would be a very bad decision. remember his treatment of the Irish doctor who worked with Wales. And that was for being Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Cronin The Destroyer

QuinDixie wrote: »
    I would rather lose with our own, than win with someone else's.

I'd rather win with a team including 2 or 3 athletes from other countries than lose time after time using only our own. Winning breeds a winning mentality, and gets kids interested in the game. More kids interested in rugby in Ireland = added native strength in future. Plus, pretty much everyone else does it too. Payne was an excellent addition to the team, even if in the long run his participation is only seen as a fill in for a younger player from Ireland. Plus, its hard to resent Payne/White/Strauss etc. their place, playing for Ireland obviously means a lot to them. Can't doubt their passion/commitment.

• Advertisement

Henwin wrote: »
    anyone else agree that leaving Andrew Trimble at home was a major mistake, against argentina Dave Kearney missed 5 easy tackles and didnt pose any threat in attack. Trimble as we know is excellent in defence and attack. Joe had the chance to bring him in after Payne was injured but decided against it. we still mite not have beaten argentina but we would have done a whole lot better with trimble

Trimble missed a whole season of rugby then came back and immediately got injured again. That's why he didn't make the squad. I've little doubt a fully fit Trimble would have started. But in the context of injuries it wasn't that bad a call.

I'd rather win with a team including 2 or 3 athletes from other countries than lose time after time using only our own. Winning breeds a winning mentality, and gets kids interested in the game. More kids interested in rugby in Ireland = added native strength in future. Plus, pretty much everyone else does it too. Payne was an excellent addition to the team, even if in the long run his participation is only seen as a fill in for a younger player from Ireland. Plus, its hard to resent Payne/White/Strauss etc. their place, playing for Ireland obviously means a lot to them. Can't doubt their passion/commitment.

Fair enough, but when you say it means alot to them to play for Ireland, being honest you mean money.
    Maybe I am too cynical, lets see how many of them stay in Ireland after they hang up their boots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

With perfect hindsight perhaps to be fair to DK he hadn't really put a foot wrong up to then. Understandable that he missed out but at the same time I'm a huge fan of Trimble so I would still have brought him if it was my fantasy team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Are shadows fast?

Try and catch one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd be delighted if Edwards joined us. Brilliant coach, would be quite the catch.

Why? He is big and his nickname is Shadow because he is so fast.

Agh, I just got sick in my mouth a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I am a massive fan of Trimble's. He has pretty much been my favourite player for Ulster over the last 10 years. If he is fully fit he'd be in my Ireland team.

However he was recovering from an injury and to be honest last night was probably the first time he has hit top form for Ulster this season. Previous to that he hasn't quite been at the level we expect from him which isn't a surprise. Would he have made a difference last weekend? Impossible to say. If he stays fit will he be in contention come the 6Ns...absolutely...

For me come the 6Ns my wingers would be two from Trimble, Earls and Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭phog

ROG pays tribute to Rala

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

bilston wrote:
    For me come the 6Ns my wingers would be two from Trimble, Earls and Fitzgerald.

Anyone here seen much of healy in Connacht? Hear a lot of good things about him but wondering is he good enough to get some game time this 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Anyone here seen much of healy in Connacht? Hear a lot of good things about him but wondering is he good enough to get some game time this 6N.

Don't need to look further than Gilroy.

I've seen a good bit of gilroy and think he's an exciting player with plenty of gas. I'm asking about matt healy though

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Don't need to look further than Gilroy.

What exactly does this mean?

I've seen a good bit of gilroy and think he's an exciting player with plenty of gas. I'm asking about matt healy though

Healy is similar to Gilroy.

He impressed at the end of last season, no idea how he is going this season so far.

phog wrote: »
    What exactly does this mean?

If Gilroy cant make the ire team then Healy wont either...

bilston wrote:

bilston wrote:
    He impressed at the end of last season, no idea how he is going this season so far.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

.ak wrote: »
    Agh, I just got sick in my mouth a little bit.

I should also have added that GdeH has 50+ Super Rugby caps from his days with the Bulls & Stormers ;)

I should also have added that GdeH has 50+ Super Rugby caps from his days with the Bulls & Stormers ;)

I rate GdvH and I think he should stick around but if he wants to be play for Ireland then he needs to improve his defence, it's easily the weakest part of his game.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But I hate "cool" nicknames. You're not supposed to find your nickname endearing!

bilston wrote: »

For me Healy and Gilroy, whilst absolutely exciting, aren't big enough for top level rugby.

Although Healy looks like he has the scope to get a bit bigger.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But I hate "cool" nicknames. You're not supposed to find your nickname endearing!

Apparently POC loved his nickname: Psycho :D

For me Healy and Gilroy, whilst absolutely exciting, aren't big enough for top level rugby.

Not sure about Healy but Gilroy is slightly taller and same weight as milner-skudder

I think Gilroy would be in the ire team if he improves his awareness. He sometimes runs down dead ends and gets turned over

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gilroy is both taller and heavier than Milner-Skudder (taking the stats off Ulster and the Hurricanes site).

NMS seems to be a bit of an out and out attacker (like Gilroy) and isn't notable in the air (like Gilroy).

Not sure about Healy but Gilroy is slightly taller and same weight as milner-skudder

Well being taller and the same weight means he's not as big.

But I take all of those weight stats with a pinch of salt. Skudder is stocky and very strong, he'll run through people just as well as around them. He's also a very good tackler. No stats would convince me that he's in anyway shape as physical or as big as Skudder.

If NMS was Irish I don't think he'd play for Ireland because we seem to select our wingers based on qualities like how well they can clear out a ruck and how well they can catch a ball in the air. There is no place in the current Irish setup for a pure attacking threat like NMS / Gilroy because we focus a lot more on nullifying the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Gilroy and Healy are virtually identical in height and weight. Also very similar players.

awec wrote: »
    If NMS was Irish I don't think he'd play for Ireland because we seem to select our wingers based on qualities like how well they can clear out a ruck and how well they can catch a ball in the air. There is no place in the current Irish setup for a pure attacking threat like NMS / Gilroy because we focus a lot more on nullifying the opposition.

Ugh.

Are you saying NMS doesn't do these things? Hint - you're wrong.

The notion that being good in attack somehow hinders your chances of getting picked for Ireland is patent rubbish.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We prefer a solid hard worker to flair. I do believe we are also limited by the lack of wingers across the provinces. After bowe and Trimble retire who will replace them? From an ulster standpoint Scholes and nelson aren't ripping it up...

I don't think that's true, in either that we pick wings to nullify teams or that NMS is a pure attacking threat with noting else in his locker.

NMS is a brilliant breakdown back three player. He absolutely wins rucks in the wider channels.

Ireland look for bigger wingers because that's just the way the game is now a days. The opposition is bigger so we need guys that can assert themselves at the breakdown. When you have guys like Sarto who are good enough to clear Heaslip off their own ball you need guys in the wider channels that can protect that ball. Imhoff, DTH, Bowe, etc are all considered the worlds best wingers because they're big enough that whilst they're good attacking threats they also offer much more to the 15 man game because they can step in and clear a ruck or stop a centre just as well as a backrower can.

The best teams have 15 guys on the pitch that should be expected to do anything their teammates can. Front rowers need to catch and give a ball in one movement, and wingers need to be a force at the breakdown. The number on your back shouldn't matter.

Obviously there's still a place for the different sized guys in union because of the set pieces. But at international level you just have to bring the guys that have that all round game. If they possess an attacking threat (which most of our wingers do. To say they don't is a disservice, bowe, Trimble, earls, Fitzgerald especially) is of course also taken into consideration. This idea that we just pick bland lumps on the wing is completely unfounded and incorrect.

Gilroy is a brilliant winger at club level but would you see him effecting a ruck against a back three player like Imhoff?

Ugh.

Are you saying NMS doesn't do these things? Hint - you're wrong.

The notion that being good in attack somehow hinders your chances of getting picked for Ireland is patent rubbish.

Of course he does them. They are just not his main qualities.

As Utah said, there is not a lot of flair in our wingers anymore.

Of course he does them. They are just not his main qualities.

As Utah said, there is not a lot of flair in our wingers anymore.

He does them very well. They are not weaknesses of his. If they were he wouldn't be an All Black.

• Advertisement

Couldn't have said it better myself. We prefer a solid hard worker to flair. I do believe we are also limited by the lack of wingers across the provinces. After bowe and Trimble retire who will replace them? From an ulster standpoint Scholes and nelson aren't ripping it up...

I think Jacob Stockdale would be one to keep an eye on over the next couple of years. I think Trimble has a few more years left anyway. Not so sure about Tommy though.

I could see Olding going to 15 when he returns which means we'd have himself, Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe and Piatau to choose from. (Talking about Ulster obviously).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement