Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Maybe include some performance and appearance bonuses in contracts offered by a different province, paid for by the irfu rather than the team, to encourage a player to move. Not offering contracts to players who don't really want to go is risky imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sean O'Brien isn't on a central contract.

But that's just an example of how the system has changed drastically in recent years. There's plenty of reasons any player would prefer a provincial deal, there's plenty of reasons a player would prefer a central deal.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

WarZ wrote: »
    I don't think any of our back 3 should be on central contracts and certainly not one who is lucky to make the bench of the international side. Central contracts should be used for keeping the likes of Jonathan Sexton and Sean O'Brien in Ireland

It makes little difference, the money mostly comes out of the same pot and the IRFU will have a veto over any provincial salary anyway.

As far as I understand it the only difference between a provincial contract and an Ireland contract now is around bonus payments for Ireland appearances (central deals don't get them as it's taken into account with salary).

awec wrote: »
    It makes little difference, the money mostly comes out of the same pot and the IRFU will have a veto over any provincial salary anyway.

As far as I understand it the only difference between a provincial contract and an Ireland contract now is around bonus payments for Ireland appearances (central deals don't get them as it's taken into account with salary).

There's other factors at play. The central contract is a lot less flexible for negotiation on certain things, such as with SOB who didn't want to release his image rights to the IRFU.

There's other factors at play. The central contract is a lot less flexible for negotiation on certain things, such as with SOB who didn't want to release his image rights to the IRFU.

Yea there are other minor things, but being on a central deal seems to have nothing to do with how important you are.

Getting a central deal or not isn't going to make or break any contract negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

But that's just an example of how the system has changed drastically in recent years. There's plenty of reasons any player would prefer a provincial deal, there's plenty of reasons a player would prefer a central deal.

I was using those two players for a purpose.

Sexton left because of the IRFU negotiations and Leinster being blocked from offering him themselves what he was asking for.

Sean O'Brien turned down an IRFU contract.

Instead of being used to keep our truly world class players in the country they are now little more than a hand-out to provinces who are struggling financially.

SOB's contract was announced by the IRFU with banal quotes from Philip Browne, doesn't seem like a provincial contract to me.

Edit, actually I think the line has been blurred quite a bit anyway, I'm not sure there are really central contracts anymore. Everyone is contracted to the IRFU.

Instead of being used to keep our truly world class players in the country they are now little more than a hand-out to provinces who are struggling financially.
    They make little difference.

I don't think Leinster are struggling financially either.

awec wrote: »
    Yea there are other minor things, but being on a central deal seems to have nothing to do with how important you are.

Getting a central deal or not isn't going to make or break any contract negotiations.

Ah yeah I agree with that, the players and the union will reach a deal whether or not it's via an individual branch or via big Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Forum needs a referenced stocky explaining what a central contract is. We have this debate every year. The worry is the Welsh union will see it and sort out there own clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Annabella1 wrote: »
    See O'Connell is out for up to 8 months-horrible injury
    personally doubt he will ever make it to France

So who will be paying his wages during that time? If its Toulon you can be damn sure they will want to see him in a Toulon jersey at some stage

Quint2010 wrote: »
    So who will be paying his wages during that time? If its Toulon you can be damn sure they will want to see him in a Toulon jersey at some stage

The season will be finished by the time he has recovered. Disastrous for them.

Quint2010 wrote: »

He's signed for two years so they'll have him next season I guess.

I would imagine some insurance company will be paying his wage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The season will be finished by the time he has recovered. Disastrous for them.

Depends on what the deal was, I suppose. If his joining them was subject to being fit post World Cup then they might not be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

SOB is on a central contract now. IRFU announce the central contracts and they usually have a quote from Philip Browne (now Nucifora) and the CEO of the Provincial side.

Here is SOB's announcement from IRFU (Browne & Dawson)
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29183.php#.VjfXMKTWFB8

Here is Iain Henderson's Ulster contract announcement (just Bryn Cunningham)
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33861.php#.VjfYd6TWFB8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Complicated business these days. It is important that a player has control over their image rights, they wouldn't want to be involved in something tacky without their agreement.

11229971_10154046454274879_1112504842090425120_n.jpg?oh=6bd3d2dbb740b59debf47bad053862b4&oe=56847747&__gda__=1456314808_ae24fa830e537c2fa95dbaa4b05e0ed0

dub_skav wrote: »
    Complicated business these days. It is important that a player has control over their image rights, they wouldn't want to be involved in something tacky without their agreement.

11229971_10154046454274879_1112504842090425120_n.jpg?oh=6bd3d2dbb740b59debf47bad053862b4&oe=56847747&__gda__=1456314808_ae24fa830e537c2fa95dbaa4b05e0ed0

Supermac's are a surprisingly profitable outlet (opened first store in the US this year) so I'd say Seanie pocketed a nice chunk of change for that. It's not about the quality for players, it's about the quantity in their wallet which is why they are best holding onto their image rights.

Supermac's are a surprisingly profitable outlet (opened first store in the US this year) so I'd say Seanie pocketed a nice chunk of change for that. It's not about the quality for players, it's about the quantity in their wallet which is why they are best holding onto their image rights.

Absolutely, I was really being a bit tongue in cheek.
    It is interesting though to consider that a player might have a very different view to how they want their image used than the IRFU. So you can understand some of the protracted contract negotiations, particularly with the higher profile players who would have a stronger position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

dub_skav wrote: »
    Absolutely, I was really being a bit tongue in cheek.
    It is interesting though to consider that a player might have a very different view to how they want their image used than the IRFU. So you can understand some of the protracted contract negotiations, particularly with the higher profile players who would have a stronger position.

Ya being a sporting organisation the IRFU would probably prefer their players to promote healthy foods, oh wait....

rsz_inpho_00930938_rdax_80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

b.gud wrote: »
    Ya being a sporting organ the IRFU would probably prefer their players to promote healthy foods, oh wait....

While we are playing this game

e9021982851d93fb0e4fa6cb9ba88f36.jpg

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with healthy eating, but very relevant for image rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

All those cable crunches and planks subman has been doing are really paying off. Subway dude on the other hand really needs to get his act together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Mike Ross will be making an appearance on ear to the ground now on RTE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Dates for the SA tour have been confirmed today, it'd be great to finally get a win down there. I've taken a few weeks off here so sorry if it's already been discussed, do people expect Schmidt to stick with a similar squad to the WC or experiment a bit more with an eye to the future?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/venues-and-dates-confirmed-ireland-s-2016-south-africa-tour-1.2419719

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dates for the SA tour have been confirmed today, it'd be great to finally get a win down there. I've taken a few weeks off here so sorry if it's already been discussed, do people expect Schmidt to stick with a similar squad to the WC or experiment a bit more with an eye to the future?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/venues-and-dates-confirmed-ireland-s-2016-south-africa-tour-1.2419719

No midweek games?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Whoever is left standing by next June after another long season!

On a related note though I've been wondering whether a few players of our players could do with a non-injury enforced sabbatical from the game. I know they're Profesisonal players but for some could they do with a 6 month in season break e.g from the end of 6 Nations to the start of the new season. It might pay dividends in the long run.

On a related note though I've been wondering whether a few players of our players could do with a non-injury enforced sabbatical from the game. I know they're Profesisonal players but for some could they do with a 6 month in season break e.g from the end of 6 Nations to the start of the new season. It might pay dividends in the long run.

Haven't New Zealand done something like this with McCaw and maybe Carter too? It's bound to be good for the development of the team too in that someone else gets to play in their position for an extended period of time. Take someone like Heaslip, for example... he's dominated the #8 shirt for years now and I'm not sure there's a definite heir to that particular position at the moment? I'm sure there's other positions too, Sexton would be a perfect candidate, giving Madigan 2/3 months of being the main 10 at Leinster couldn't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sure you can see it with Nacewa, I think he looks very sharp. Maybe they do the June tour if they want to, then don't come back till the 6N? I know a lot of them have some personal development in terms of getting married, polishing off one or two unfinished college modules (that they bona fide couldn't do with rugby commitments) etc.

Jamie Roberts is on Sabbatical right now, studying in Cambridge (hoping to play in the Varsity match).

errlloyd wrote: »
    Jamie Roberts is on Sabbatical right now, studying in Cambridge (hoping to play in the Varsity match).

I often wonder how players manage to get medical degrees while playing professional rugby. Hallam Amos, for example, is currently studying medicine and even with the best will in the world you can't do hospital rotations while studying, training and travelling for matches.

Bar injury, the body will more or less completely recover from fatigue in 2 - 3 weeks. After that you start to lose fitness and conditioning and getting it back is probably more tiring than maintaining it.

The only part of the body that will really benefit from a 6 month break is the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bar injury, the body will more or less completely recover from fatigue in 2 - 3 weeks. After that you start to lose fitness and conditioning and getting it back is probably more tiring than maintaining it.

The only part of the body that will really benefit from a 6 month break is the mind.

Maybe I got it wrong but by sabbatical from the game I thought that they meant a sabbatical from playing which might have some merit if it were to be used with a view to adjusting fitness and doing extended prehabilitation work. Denis Leamy is an example of a player who was a bit of a physical freak before a fairly serious (knee?) injury. It could of course have been that the injury reduced his physical capacity but I never thought that he got back to the same physical level after he returned to the game and I often wondered if he wouldn't have benefited from a longer period being made available to build his fitness.

All that said I think that the fitness and medical teams are reasonably well tuned into how well the players are doing physically and I'd be surprised if they thought it would be of benefit to many players. I could never see something like this happening routinely.

if we beat South Africa in a meaningless friendly will people go back to thinking we are world class and in the top 3 despite being humiliated on the biggest stage every time?

Winning the 6N should be minimum and a grand slam should be aim every year considering the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

if we beat South Africa in a meaningless friendly will people go back to thinking we are world class and in the top 3 despite being humiliated on the biggest stage every time?

Winning the 6N should be minimum and a grand slam should be aim every year considering the lack of competition.

Sure because England, France & Wales are complete also rans? Even Scotland are getting their house in order.

There is a faux hysteria over a perceived gap in levels however Scotland were a correct decision away from beating Australia while Ireland and Wales suffered catastrophic injuries in the tournament.

England and France were in rag order through poor management but wouldn't take them long to get up to speed again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought the only friendlies were Wolfhounds / Ireland "A"? All test matches are worth ranking points. So not sure why it'll be meaningless.

I thought the only friendlies were Wolfhounds / Ireland "A"? All test matches are worth ranking points. So not sure why it'll be meaningless.

It's not meaningless to either side. It's a silly attempt at a point. Some people I assume would like to say that the only games that matter are world cup games so that they can continue to criticise the team for another 4 years as a guaranteed minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If our seeding for RWC 2019 depends on ranking position in November 2016, then an away win in South Africa would be massive (and a 3-0 series whitewash wouldn't be great...), so you can expect Ireland to go all out for this. We can expect a lot of guys to miss it through injury though, end of a long season etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

If our seeding for RWC 2019 depends on ranking position in November 2016, then an away win in South Africa would be massive (and a 3-0 series whitewash wouldn't be great...), so you can expect Ireland to go all out for this. We can expect a lot of guys to miss it through injury though, end of a long season etc.

I just hope Paddy Wallace brings his boots with him on holidays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Certainly not. Massive damage was done to the credibility of the game here.

The GS must be the minimum for England, Ireland and France after such a hyped up, disastrous world cup campaign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Winning a test series in SA would be huge for Ireland!

It won't mean we're the best in the world but it's just another step to getting there.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Winning a test series in SA would be huge for Ireland!

It won't mean we're the best in the world but it's just another step to getting there.

The ABs are just so far ahead of everyone else now, world class talk about players and management needs to be binned. I do agree though that a test win in SA would be great for the record books, regardless of where the Boks are at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Don't agree but i probably have a different definition of world class to you. To me it means you are in contention for a place in a world 15 rather than you are a guaranteed starter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Winning a test series in SA would be Ireland's greatest rugby achievement to date.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Winning a test series in SA would be Ireland's greatest rugby achievement to date.

I'd put the 09 GS well ahead of it, now a test series win in NZ certainly would be, but we must remember even Japan felled the boks.

Japan only did it in a once off game though, winning 2 tests down there to me is bigger than the GS.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'd put the 09 GS well ahead of it, now a test series win in NZ certainly would be, but we must remember even Japan felled the boks.

And the Boks beat New Zealand last year. One game doesn't tell the whole story, they're a very tough side to beat and could very easilly come down to us v them for a top seed spot.

• Advertisement

And the Boks beat New Zealand last year. One game doesn't tell the whole story, they're a very tough side to beat and could very easilly come down to us v them for a top seed spot.

I half agree with you, but the Argies also easily beat them away, you'd wonder how seriously some of these teams take some of these tests. I'd make an exception for the ABs, but a GS would rank above a test win over the current bok side at the moment.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I half agree with you, but the Argies also easily beat them away, you'd wonder how seriously some of these teams take some of these tests. I'd make an exception for the ABs, but a GS would rank above a test win over the current bok side at the moment.

Going to have to disagree. Currently a GS is a much easier task than beating South Africa in 2 out of 3 games in South Africa for all of the games.. England, Wales, Scotland, France, Italy are miles behind South Africa.

Going to have to disagree. Currently a GS is a much easier task than beating South Africa in 2 out of 3 games in South Africa for all of the games.. England, Wales, Scotland, France, Italy are miles behind South Africa.

Not sure they are. The Boks silverware cupboard is fairly bare of late, which tells its own story. Our '09 GS remains our greatest rugby result.

4 teams are every even at the moment which makes winning a GS right now very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The simple solution is to win the GS and the series in RSA.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The simple solution is to win the GS and the series in RSA.

That's all that will satisfy me at this stage!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement