Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I thought this was debunked before. Each nation has a different idea of what a registered player is. Ireland apparently count tag rugby players.

I doubt it since Ireland are down for 172k total players.

On the other hand, New Zealand and Wales seem to count everyone.

Snippet

Nation|Registered|Total
    Ireland|96,880|172,491
    England|340,347|2,057,797
    Wales|73,444|73.444
    New Zealand|148,483|148,483

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ireland to play the All Blacks twice next Autumn-once in Chicago and once in The Aviva. More here...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-to-play-all-blacks-in-chicago-next-year-1.2428573

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ireland to play the All Blacks twice next Autumn-once in Chicago and once in The Aviva. More here...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-to-play-all-blacks-in-chicago-next-year-1.2428573

Holy shemokey....
    Tickets tickets tickets...

I guess it's only fair.
    We haven't played them since June 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

kuang1 wrote: »
    I guess it's only fair.

I see what you did there.....

I want to go to that Chicago game so badly. It's a city I've wanted to see anyway, this is the perfect opportunity. hopefully the tickets won't go on sale until about August when I may have some money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Can't say I agree with this, pure greed and even more disruption for the provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tour of SA in the summer, and NZ twice in November. Isn't 2016 the year we need to have a top 8 ranking for the World Cup draw? Well done IRFU... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That is a great autumn line up. Shame about the game in Chicago, who gets the gates for that?

• Advertisement

Can't say I agree with this, pure greed and even more disruption for the provinces.

The only downside is that some players may be a little bit more tired due to jetlag. Otherwise it's an international window, it's another chance to play the best team in the world while making some extra money. It should also be great for the game in the States. 6N triple champions and GS winners vs reigning double world champs has a nice ring to it imo.

There is nothing inherently wrong with trying to make some extra money. Unfortunately we cannot get it through TV deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Road trip to Chicago!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I thought this was debunked before. Each nation has a different idea of what a registered player is. Ireland apparently count tag rugby players.
    There is differences between some countries but IRFU don't count tag rugby players in the figures

I guess it's only fair.

The last game we played them was so close...a narrow lose in Christchurch I believe.

We have not played them since.

I want to go to that Chicago game so badly. It's a city I've wanted to see anyway, this is the perfect opportunity. hopefully the tickets won't go on sale until about August when I may have some money :D

I was over in the summer. Great city with plenty to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Quint2010 wrote: »

Apparently USA will be playing NZ Maori the day before as well. If confirmed tickets will be sold as a double header

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Zzippy wrote: »
    Tour of SA in the summer, and NZ twice in November. Isn't 2016 the year we need to have a top 8 ranking for the World Cup draw? Well done IRFU... ;)

We're also playing Australia in November, and a Tier 2 side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

The last game we played them was so close...a narrow lose in Christchurch I believe.

We have not played them since.

I remember watching Ireland the time before that in Dunedin in '92 - Popplewell was in his pomp and Vinny Cunningham had one of his best games for Ireland.

We really should play them a bit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

The only downside is that some players may be a little bit more tired due to jetlag. Otherwise it's an international window, it's another chance to play the best team in the world while making some extra money. It should also be great for the game in the States. 6N triple champions and GS winners vs reigning double world champs has a nice ring to it imo.

There is nothing inherently wrong with trying to make some extra money. Unfortunately we cannot get it through TV deals.

Would also suggest that this is the sort of minor favour that tends to get remembered around World Cup Host voting time.

November 5th eh? I was planning on maybe being in the States around that time anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Some players will be more tired because what should have been a rest weekend for the frontliners will now be a test match weekend, 4,000 miles away, against New Zealand. I'd call that a significant downside for player welfare. It's disruptive for the provinces because players will be called into camp a week earlier.

It's extra money but it's coming at a cost.

Zzippy wrote: »

I don't think the New Zealand matches would have much of an effect (assuming we stay at the same ranking points we are at now - almost 15 points adrift of NZ).

The game in Chicago would mean both teams are away and the home ranking addition won't apply. The home game would make a slight difference (about .15 of a ranking point), so that wouldn't hurt too much either.

The 6N and the three away tests in SA will have the most effect on our rankings. A win in SA would see a jump of almost two points whereas losses would be in the range of -0.4 or less.

Losses in the 6N would be the most damaging; approximately a 1 point loss for the England, Wales and France games.

So it's important we do well in the 6N and at least maintain our ranking whilst a win away to SA would give us a good boost. All things considered, the summer and autumn internationals couldn't be better really.

• Advertisement

I imagine there will be a lot of merchandise sold on the day.

So it's important we do well in the 6N and at least maintain our ranking whilst a win away to SA would give us a good boost. All things considered, the summer and autumn internationals couldn't be better really.

If you look at who the teams around us are playing too. Australia are playing their own 6 Nations on their November tour. Italy are the only one of the home nations they're not playing but still have 2 matches to announce.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd travel to Chicago for it no sweat.

awec wrote: »
    I'd travel to Chicago for it no sweat.

Probably be easier to get tickets to the Chicago one than the one in the Aviva.

If you look at who the teams around us are playing too. Australia are playing their own 6 Nations on their November tour. Italy are the only one of the home nations they're not playing but still have 2 matches to announce.

Yeah, there are way too many combinations to be able to predict where we'll be in November. The only thing we can do is make sure we have more wins than losses and the rankings will look after themselves.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably be easier to get tickets to the Chicago one than the one in the Aviva.

I'll be hoping to be at all 4 games! Good lineup that.

Can't see flights for nov 2016 yet on aer lingus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

awec wrote: »
    I'll be hoping to be at all 4 games! Good lineup that.

Can't see flights for nov 2016 yet on aer lingus :(

Think they usually go 11 months ahead and that's it....so by the time the November flights are up everyone will know about the game and due to supply and demand the prices will be more than normal no doubt!!

On skyscanner there are flights for <600 per person from Dublin to Chicago. Seems to be available for most dates.

Hardest schedule Ireland have ever faced in international rugby?

Wales (H)
    France (A)
    England (A)
    Italy (H)
    Scotland (H)
    South Africa (A)
    South Africa (A)
    South Africa (A)
    New Zealand (N)
    Tier 2 (H)
    New Zealand (H)
    Australia (H)

Cut off for World Cup 2019 seeding.

12 games, we'll be doing well to win 5 of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought there was usually only a 3 week break in the Pro12 for the AI's so it looks like the provinces will be missing guys for a few games if we play 4 AI games.

• Advertisement

I reckon we should be looking to win 7 of those.

1 of Wales/England
    France
    Italy
    Scotland

1 Test in SA

Tier2
    1 of the NZ/NZ/Aus games.

GS is obviously possible, as is a series win in SA (although this is tough). Also possible is that we lose all AIs bar the Tier 2 game.

You've got the H and A arseways for the 6N games!

You sir are completely correct. Grand Slam is on. Lets do it.

errlloyd wrote: »
    You sir are completely correct. Grand Slam is on. Lets do it.

Anyone venture (venjur!) their opinion as to what will be our toughest 6N game this coming spring?

By recent form you'd have to think wales right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hardest schedule Ireland have ever faced in international rugby?

Wales (H)
    France (A)
    England (A)
    Italy (H)
    Scotland (H)
    South Africa (A)
    South Africa (A)
    South Africa (A)
    New Zealand (N)
    Tier 2 (H)
    New Zealand (H)
    Australia (H)

Cut off for World Cup 2019 seeding.

12 games, we'll be doing well to win 5 of them.

5 wins would be a disappointing return.

7 wins is do-able and should be a minimum benchmark.

Then again who knows how the year will play out in terms of injuries and whether we try and rebuild a bit. Didn't Molloy think Joe was hinting at more rotation in 2016 the other day?

There won't be much opportunity for rotation in 2016!

It will be interesting to see which "Tier 2" nation we play. When was the last time we played Japan?

bilston wrote: »
    5 wins would be a disappointing return.

7 wins is do-able and should be a minimum benchmark.

Then again who knows how the year will play out in terms of injuries and whether we try and rebuild a bit. Didn't Molloy think Joe was hinting at more rotation in 2016 the other day?

There won't be much opportunity for rotation in 2016!

It will be interesting to see which "Tier 2" nation we play. When was the last time we played Japan?

Was it the during the 2005 Lions tour? When was the last time we played Tonga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Some players will be more tired because what should have been a rest weekend for the frontliners will now be a test match weekend, 4,000 miles away, against New Zealand. I'd call that a significant downside for player welfare. It's disruptive for the provinces because players will be called into camp a week earlier.

It's extra money but it's coming at a cost.

I know you're usually the voice of reason, but I doubt the players involved will be too worried about a touch more fatigue for that next vital Pro 12 game against Zebre or Dragons. A chance to play NZ, in Chicago, with every person who remotely claims a bit of Irish heritance in attendance will be very palatable.

One thing is for sure, by the end of 2016 we will have a very good handle on the merits or otherwise of Schmidt and his players. 6 games against the Tri-nations, with only 2 at home will be the perfect gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Australia are playing 14 internationals next year against tier 1 teams and 2 midweek games are to be announced for the AIs also :O That's some schedule

As a hypothetical for anyone with too much time.... if we had a perfect year in 2016, what is the likely ranking position we would be in. Assuming NZ beat everybody else bar us and Aus/SA split their games and Argentina beating SA at home?

Is there a reason our test matches are always played in the Aviva? I know size wise it's bigger than RavenSpan or Thomand, for example, but say next year, when we're playing a Tier 2 side in the middle of NZ and Aus, could it not be played somewhere else?

• Advertisement

Is there a reason our test matches are always played in the Aviva? I know size wise it's bigger than RavenSpan or Thomand, for example, but say next year, when we're playing a Tier 2 side in the middle of NZ and Aus, could it not be played somewhere else?

The deal with Aviva means we have to play all home games there. That's why the game against Fiji a few years ago was non cap, which was an insult to everyone involved.

The deal with Aviva means we have to play all home games there. That's why the game against Fiji a few years ago was non cap, which was an insult to everyone involved.

I knew there was some reason for it. Is it a permanent deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

As a hypothetical for anyone with too much time.... if we had a perfect year in 2016, what is the likely ranking position we would be in. Assuming NZ beat everybody else bar us and Aus/SA split their games and Argentina beating SA at home?

Most likely not about 2nd, but to be honest the rankings system is far too complicated with too many factors affecting points to try to project rankings over an entire years worth of results.
    This did make me wonder who will be given "home" advantage for the game in Chicago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I know you're usually the voice of reason, but I doubt the players involved will be too worried about a touch more fatigue for that next vital Pro 12 game against Zebre or Dragons. A chance to play NZ, in Chicago, with every person who remotely claims a bit of Irish heritance in attendance will be very palatable.

One thing is for sure, by the end of 2016 we will have a very good handle on the merits or otherwise of Schmidt and his players. 6 games against the Tri-nations, with only 2 at home will be the perfect gauge.

I think thats exactly his point though. Of course they'll be up for NZ game but this can't but have a knock-on effect on the pro12/erc.

10 year naming rights were signed in 2009, so I guess it could change. Sure Wales will be playing in Principality Stadium next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    Most likely not about 2nd, but to be honest the rankings system is far too complicated with too many factors affecting points to try to project rankings over an entire years worth of results.
    This did make me wonder who will be given "home" advantage for the game in Chicago?

If anyone does want to try and predict the scores of all matches for the top 10 or so teams you can figure out how the rankings would look using this

• Advertisement

10 year naming rights were signed in 2009, so I guess it could change. Sure Wales will be playing in Principality Stadium next year!

My mum still calls it Cardiff Arms. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Same with the soccer team, hence why they play Oman in Craven cottage every 2 years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I never said they were able to use them properly ;)

England have no shortage of money as do France. They have no shortage of players, but the question is do England have enough players of the right standard?

France have more than enough players and PSA has played pretty much all of them without settling on an even semi-permanent squad.

In terms of professional teams, France and England have five times the player pool we do. If you were to subtract half of them for non-qualified players or sub-standard players, you'd still be looking at more than twice the resources in players alone.

We're looking for our depth in the provincial academies.

On a stick Throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

case885 wrote: »
    Those resources have really stood to France and England just look at their world cup performances..

A really inept showing from those 2 countries. Ourselves not much better, but Scotland did come out of the WC with credit, as did Cotter, the only NH coach to do so.

Problem is WC is every 4 years, and when the home teams get smashed, the perception now is that competitions like the HC and 6N are a bit like the Uefa cup in soccer, second rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Just watching stander lately, surely he's worth a place on our bench for the 6n.
    Personally I'd have him on ahead of heaslip in at least 2 of the games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement