Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I simply don't understand why people would play or follow hurling, football or soccer when rugby is around. It's ridiculous. These people are clearly all idiots. The government should simply ban all these inferior sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There are not 10 counties in Leinster like Carlow that is completely ignorant of the sporting scene in Leinster

I'm well aware that there are 12 counties in Leinster, but there are only two counties who are likely to be in the mix every year at the business end of the season with a realistic chance of winning anything. This is what attracts top sportmen. Winning stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm well aware that there are 12 counties in Leinster, but there are only two counties who are likely to be in the mix every year at the business end of the season with a realistic chance of winning anything. This is what attracts top sportmen. Winning stuff.
    :rolleyes: I never said you didn't know how many counties are in Leinster. And you are completely wrong about what you say about realistic chances of winning something and that's relationship with rugby gaining new players/supporters etc

:rolleyes: I never said you didn't know how many counties are in Leinster. And you are completely wrong about what you say about realistic chances of winning something and that's relationship with rugby gaining new players/supporters etc

Its the top players you want to attract though. Quality players who would be successful in any sport they played of the calibre of Joe Cannings or Bernard Brogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its the top players you want to attract though. Quality players who would be successful in any sport they played of the calibre of Joe Cannings or Bernard Brogan.
    But rugby wont attract 90% of the top. You look at the tier below them and those who don't make it in GAA at very top but could in rugby for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I simply don't understand why people would play or follow hurling, football or soccer when rugby is around. It's ridiculous. These people are clearly all idiots. The government should simply ban all these inferior sports.

Ah, come on, hurling has a bit about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Shane Delahunt is from Birr, Robin Copeland is from Wexford, Peter Lydon is from Dublin for starters.

You should know that Kilkenny College is a large boarding school.

I do know.

But if you're looking for Kilkenny born rugby players then you have (as said above): Ian Dowling, Fergus McFadden and of course the great Willie Duggan. But the other guys I listed learned and played their rugby in Kilkenny and that's perhaps the most salient point if we're talking about the possible influence they might have on future players from that county.

Kilkenny RFC has strong links with the school which is what's needed everywhere to develop the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Ah, come on, hurling has a bit about it.

He's a Kiwi, you're not going to persuade him :D

aimee1 wrote: »
    soccer will always be the top participation sport in dublin.

It's more than that. I can't stand Soccer, everything about it is repugnant to me and I can barely watch the national team. I can't stand the modern face of the sport and it would never be on at home.

But my 5 year old loves to kick the ball, it's the most accessible ball sport for young kids and as such it just gets a significant headstart. I mean he goes to mini rugby every weekend and my wifes family are all big Tipp hurlers so he get's plenty of exposure to this too - but he just loves to kick the ball and if a hurl, a rugby ball and a football were in front of him, I know which one he would go for. And it breaks my heart the little knacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

But my 5 year old loves to kick the ball, it's the most accessible ball sport for young kids and as such it just gets a significant headstart. I mean he goes to mini rugby every weekend and my wifes family are all big Tipp hurlers so he get's plenty of exposure to this too - but he just loves to kick the ball and if a hurl, a rugby ball and a football were in front of him, I know which one he would go for. And it breaks my heart the little knacker.

He has Munster ties eh?
    I bet it will break your heart even more to see him lining out in a Munster jersey one day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Gaelic football has always been very popular in Dublin. Its hurling where there has been a huge surge of interest in. The Dublin GAA has invested millions in developing it.

no it hasnt, it went through major lows with 12 and 16 year gaps between all irelands [83-95-2011]. There has been huge effort made to get and keep kids in the sport, efforts which wouldnt have been made if it wasnt needed. I know some clubs in recent seasons have seen a 40% increase in participation as underage level as a result of the Dubs success and the drive to increase numbers at that level in the last 5-6 years.

The hurling has also benefited but the gaelic football has seen a huge surge in interest. Sure the Dublin board were pissed off with NAMA recently over Spawell site which was sold for development when they wanted to create a centre of excellence and more badly needed football pitches for gaelic football more then hurlng

The big soccer nurseries - cherry orchard, home farm, st kevins etc attract the best soccer players from around the country. Quite a few of the irish soccer team are from outside leinster but the latter years of their schoolboy days were played with one of the aforementioned sides.

I do know.

But if you're looking for Kilkenny born rugby players then you have (as said above): Ian Dowling, Fergus McFadden and of course the great Willie Duggan. But the other guys I listed learned and played their rugby in Kilkenny and that's perhaps the most salient point if we're talking about the possible influence they might have on future players from that county.

Kilkenny RFC has strong links with the school which is what's needed everywhere to develop the game.

Ian Dowling went to school in Kilkenny College. Fergus McFadden went to school in Clongowes. Willie Duggan went to school in Rockwell.

My point is that Copeland, Delahunt etc. would have no aspirations to play hurling for Kilkenny as they were not from there.

aimee1 wrote: »
    no it hasnt, it went through major lows with 12 and 16 year gaps between all irelands [83-95-2011]. There has been huge effort made to get and keep kids in the sport, efforts which wouldnt have been made if it wasnt needed. I know some clubs in recent seasons have seen a 40% increase in participation as underage level as a result of the Dubs success and the drive to increase numbers at that level in the last 5-6 years.

The hurling has also benefited but the gaelic football has seen a huge surge in interest. Sure the Dublin board were pissed off with NAMA recently over Spawell site which was sold for development when they wanted to create a centre of excellence and more badly needed football pitches for gaelic football more then hurlng

The big soccer nurseries - cherry orchard, home farm, st kevins etc attract the best soccer players from around the country. Quite a few of the irish soccer team are from outside leinster but the latter years of their schoolboy days were played with one of the aforementioned sides.

Between 1983 and 2011, Dublin won 18 Leinster titles. We are comparing the success of the the gaa teams in Leinster, not Ireland.

The biggest interest surge has been in hurling. I live in the Terenure area and up to a few years ago you never saw anyone playing hurling in the parks or anything like that. That has all changed. They now even have a hurley shop in Harolds Cross.

The GAA invested a lot of the money they got for the opening up of Croke Park to other sports back into the game. Around that time Dublin GAA took on about 30 Development Officers/coaches and I know a couple of them who were hired specifically because they were from hurling counties like Kilkenny, Tippeary and Cork.

case885 wrote: »
    He has Munster ties eh?
    I bet it will break your heart even more to see him lining out in a Munster jersey one day :D

It wouldn't! I support Munster every weekend they don't play Leinster, I have a Munster jersey and my Father supported Munster over Leinster since the 70's! If he lined out for any province I'd be chuffed to bits.

Unless there is some kind of Munster soccer team, then I'd be f**king distraught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's more than that. I can't stand Soccer, everything about it is repugnant to me and I can barely watch the national team. I can't stand the modern face of the sport and it would never be on at home.

In fairness I have no love for soccer and would prefer to watch rugby every day of the week. However if you offered me a chance to become a professional player in one of those sports I wouldn't think twice about it. No idea why anyone would think stopping North or any of the others at full pace is a good choice for a career even if I love watching them do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Christy42 wrote: »
    In fairness I have no love for soccer and would prefer to watch rugby every day of the week. However if you offered me a chance to become a professional player in one of those sports I wouldn't think twice about it. No idea why anyone would think stopping North or any of the others at full pace is a good choice for a career even if I love watching them do it.

Strangely as someone who isn't exactly the biggest it's the contact elements I enjoyed most about the game. Now obviously I never had to tackle someone like North, but then those who do are themselves big lads.

Between 1983 and 2011, Dublin won 18 Leinster titles. We are comparing the success of the the gaa teams in Leinster, not Ireland.

The biggest interest surge has been in hurling. I live in the Terenure area and up to a few years ago you never saw anyone playing hurling in the parks or anything like that. That has all changed. They now even have a hurley shop in Harolds Cross.

The GAA invested a lot of the money they got for the opening up of Croke Park to other sports back into the game. Around that time Dublin GAA took on about 30 Development Officers/coaches and I know a couple of them who were hired specifically because they were from hurling counties like Kilkenny, Tippeary and Cork.

between the late 80s and early noughties soccer was far more popular and Gaelic football was far behind as the soccer team went to euro's and world cups. Hurling has enjoyed a huge surge but Gaelic Football has never been so popular as it has become in dublin in the last 10 years or so.

Leinster was dublin/meath for 30 years give or take. Dublin winning slightly above 50% of the provincial titles in a two horse race is irrelevant really.

Jason Sherlock was the first real Dubs superstar, and the players now enjoy such a media profile that has driven underage numbers up and up. My family are mostly GAA people and are involved in the local club were my nephews play. They wouldnt have played gaelic football but for school visits from the Brogans, Connolly, Cluxton etc because their dad's played soccer even though they went to a GAA school.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Shane Delahunt is from Birr, Robin Copeland is from Wexford, Peter Lydon is from Dublin for starters.

You should know that Kilkenny College is a large boarding school.

To the best of my knowledge Peter Lydon was born abroad but moved to Kilkenny when he was about 4 and played all the way through mini-rugby with Kilkenny RFC until he went to Kilkenny College.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Madigan could be about to sign for Bordeaux according to Murray Kinsella. Long story short IRFU want him to go to Munster but aren't offering as good a deal as Bordeaux. Apparently he's been over for a look around already.

http://www.the42.ie/ian-madigan-bordeaux-irfu-top-14-2510556-Dec2015/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Based on what I'm watching and assuming Payne won't be fit then McCloskey has to be in the Christmas squad. And then I won't be surprised if he impresses and is a bolter for the 6n.

Right now I'd love to see this outside backline;

15: Kearney
    14: Trimble
    13: Henshaw
    12: McCloskey
    11: Fitzgerald

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Based on what I'm watching and assuming Payne won't be fit then McCloskey has to be in the Christmas squad. And then I won't be surprised if he impresses and is a bolter for the 6n.

Right now I'd love to see this outside backline;

15: Kearney
    14: Trimble
    13: Henshaw
    12: McCloskey
    11: Fitzgerald

I'd like to see Gilroy given a chance but I can't see him ousting Fitzgerald/DaveK/Earls for a starting spot.

When is Payne expected back? Is he out due to the foot he broke in the RWC or did he pick up another injury?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    When is Payne expected back? Is he out due to the foot he broke in the RWC or did he pick up another injury?

I saw a picture of him the other day and he doesn't seem to have anything on his foot. No moonboot or crutches or anything. Haven't heard anything about him since imidiately after the WC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a ridiculous amount of quality at centre now. Henshaw and Payne are the incumbents, but McCloskey simply has to be capped in the 6N. Then there's Like Marshall who is having a resurgence and is a Schmidt favourite. If Olding can return from injury then he's an option too.

I don't think Fitzgerald can be overlooked either after playing so well against Nonu and Bastereud, although I'd rather see him on the wing. Then there's Ringrose who'll b in the mix once Te'o leaves. If only we had those same options at 2nd row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Paddy Jackson was outstanding today. Even the deliberate knock on was a smart call! Obviously Sexton will start against Wales but if Paddy keeps this form up he has to bench and will start putting pressure on Jonny and that is great news for Ireland.

bilston wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson was outstanding today. Even the deliberate knock on was a smart call! Obviously Sexton will start against Wales but if Paddy keeps this form up he has to bench and will start putting pressure on Jonny and that is great news for Ireland.

If Madigan heads off to France as is rumoured it's bound to put PJ in the driving seat for Ireland. Unless Mads suddenly becomes world class when given the chance to play regularly.

Sexton had a pretty decent game yesterday too. Still not at his very best, but the execution was 100% better than last weeks horror show at Toulon.

Ulster look a completely different team since Kiss took over. Benefits of having an already established coach at the province?

Clegg wrote: »
    Ulster look a completely different team since Kiss took over. Benefits of having an already established coach at the province?

Definitely. I said last week that we need experienced coaches at the provinces. It's better for the players and therefore better for Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I saw a picture of him the other day and he doesn't seem to have anything on his foot. No moonboot or crutches or anything. Haven't heard anything about him since imidiately after the WC though.

I seem to remember them saying January after the RWC announcements.

• Advertisement

I can't see any justification for picking Payne at any other position than 15 for Ulster when he returns and I'm not one of those Ulster fans who has a bee in my bonnet about him playing 13. I just think the McCloskey/Marshall midfield has been a revelation and right now deserves to be first choice, and that is even if Cave returns. Ludik has done really well too but Payne is in a different class at 15. If Payne plays 15 for Ulster then that opens a few interesting questions for Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd say Payne will be given a chance to make a point in that 13 jersey though. From his perspective he wants to be playing there, and there's also the fact that Piutau is coming in and as good as Payne was at 15, Piutau is a certainty to start. So I'd say he'd be keen to make the 13 jersey his own with that in mind.

If he moves to 15 and Marshall/Cave play out the season at 13, it leaves him in an awkward position come next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd say Payne will be given a chance to make a point in that 13 jersey though. From his perspective he wants to be playing there, and there's also the fact that Piutau is coming in and as good as Payne was at 15, Piutau is a certainty to start. So I'd say he'd be keen to make the 13 jersey his own with that in mind.

If he moves to 15 and Marshall/Cave play out the season at 13, it leaves him in an awkward position come next season.

Payne could move to Leinster and play alongside his fellow Ireland centre partnership in Fitzgerald and Henshaw next season. Everyone's a winner.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    Payne could move to Leinster and play alongside his fellow Ireland centre partnership in Fitzgerald and Henshaw next season. Everyone's a winner.:D

How long would you like to be banned for?

;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    How long would you like to be banned for?

;)

well marmion must move too, and earls as right winger. Complete irish backline at one province.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Hagz wrote: »

Piutau is primarily a wing I think, wasps are playing him at fullback but his all black appearances have been at 11/14. He can cover centre too I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Piutau is primarily a wing I think, wasps are playing him at fullback but his all black appearances have been at 11/14. He can cover centre too I believe.

Swiwi would be able to set me straight on the matter but I'm fairly sure he was only winging it for NZ because it was the best use of resources. I think he played primarily as a 15 for the Auckland Blues. He's certainly been signed as a 15 for Ulster.

Yeah he mostly played fullback for the Blues. Dagg and Smith were ahead of him at FB for the All Blacks.

Did cover centre a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

If Madigan heads off to France as is rumoured it's bound to put PJ in the driving seat for Ireland. Unless Mads suddenly becomes world class when given the chance to play regularly.

Always slightly irritates me the way Madigan is still thought of as an improving player or a player who has unfulfilled potential. He's nearly 27 and he's had enough games at 10 to show his hand. Unfortunately he's just not that good at it (playing 10 that is). Won't ever change imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

corny wrote: »
    Always slightly irritates me the way Madigan is still thought of as an improving player or a player who has unfulfilled potential. He's nearly 27 and he's had enough games at 10 to show his hand. Unfortunately he's just not that good at it (playing 10 that is). Won't ever change imo.

How many hours has he played at ten for all of the RWC and Leinster matches this season?

Well I don't think you can argue that being given the opportunity to play in the one position week in week out will lead to a player improving. It's the level of improvement that is in question. I didn't mean to imply he actually would become world class just by getting more game time.

How many games has he played the best part of 80 minutes at 10? Gopperth was first choice the past 2 years, Sexton before that. If he went to a club where he was first choice and played only at 10 he'd probably get more game time (at 10) in one season than he did in all his time at Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Oops, guess I was wrong about Piutau. In that case though, it would seem like the best use of Ulster resources would also be to play him in the wing. Piutau, trimble, Payne is a better three than swapping Payne for either Bowe or Gilroy imo. There are too many good young centres in Ulster to continue playing Payne there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Well I don't think you can argue that being given the opportunity to play in the one position week in week out will lead to a player improving. It's the level of improvement that is in question. I didn't mean to imply he actually would become world class just by getting more game time.

How many games has he played the best part of 80 minutes at 10? Gopperth was first choice the past 2 years, Sexton before that. If he went to a club where he was first choice and played only at 10 he'd probably get more game time (at 10) in one season than he did in all his time at Leinster.

Over the course of his career, despite never being first choice, he's played a good number games at 10. Far more than is necessary to settle into the position or learn his trade. In those games he's always demonstrated a lack of ability as a decision maker. Now i'm a big believer in the power of practice but with Madigan i'm more inclined to believe its an innate skill he lacks and will never acquire. I can't prove that of course but i suspect a full season as first choice will make little difference.

This also begs the question why does he deserve the chance as first choice? There was a reason he couldn't force his way passed an average enough player like Gopperth and it wasn't bad luck or poor judgement on MOC's part.

This also begs the question why does he deserve the chance as first choice? There was a reason he couldn't force his way passed an average enough player like Gopperth and it wasn't bad luck or poor judgement on MOC's part.

I didn't say he deserves to be first choice. I said if he went to a club where he was first choice.

Over the course of his career, despite never being first choice, he's played a good number games at 10. Far more than is necessary to settle into the position or learn his trade. In those games he's always demonstrated a lack of ability as a decision maker. Now i'm a big believer in the power of practice but with Madigan i'm more inclined to believe its an innate skill he lacks and will never acquire. I can't prove that of course but i suspect a full season as first choice will make little difference.

Yeah I'd agree with this tbh. The guy has a lot of raw talent in a lot of areas, but decision making isn't one of them. Playing for a side who has a 9 who controls things (like the French are fond of) or playing 12 outside a strong 10 (as a second five-eight) is where I'd see him doing well. He'd be able to show his talent without having his decision making exposed as much. But I reckon the latter would see an end to his international career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

See the Wasps game over the weekend?

Like, Madigan has a lot of flaws but not being able to force his way ahead of Jimmy Gopperth and Jonny Sexton doesn't mean he's not good enough to be second choice for Ireland.

There is still time for Madigan to improve. Of course there is. Anyone who remembers David Humphreys at 26 (that was 1997, FYI) will tell you that it's possible for an out-half to improve exponentially after that age. ROG was 26 in 2003. Does anyone want to tell me that ROG didn't improve after that? He wasn't nearly the player he became a few years later.

He's not the finished article and he may never become it, but he can't be written off at this point.

See the Wasps game over the weekend?

Like, Madigan has a lot of flaws but not being able to force his way ahead of Jimmy Gopperth and Jonny Sexton doesn't mean he's not good enough to be second choice for Ireland.

There is still time for Madigan to improve. Of course there is. Anyone who remembers David Humphreys at 26 (that was 1997, FYI) will tell you that it's possible for an out-half to improve exponentially after that age. ROG was 26 in 2003. Does anyone want to tell me that ROG didn't improve after that? He wasn't nearly the player he became a few years later.

He's not the finished article and he may never become it, but he can't be written off at this point.

He can't be written off but for me his decision making has consistently been poor and shown no real signs of improvement. I just can't see him turning that around at this stage. I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong obviously.

So what would everyone's ideal 23 be for the 6 Nations as things stand? Realistically speaking we're not going to see big wholesale changes but we'll need to see some based on injuries and lack of game time etc. Do we have a bit of an issue at lock and scrum half? With our injuries and age profile of our 9s it would seem so. For me:

McGrath Best Moore
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    Earls Kearney Trimble

Strauss, Healy, Furlong, Foley, Henry, ???, Jackson, Zebo

I believe Ross has a fairly serious hamstring injury so I can't see him being available. He had actually been going fairly well the last couple of weeks though.

Fitzgerald has been excellent at 12 the last 2 weeks and while he has serious competition from McCloskey (who must be involved with the squad) we know Joe won't drop him straight into the starting XV until he's comfortable with the systems etc. I'd expect to see him get some time off the bench maybe, with his first start coming in SA.

Payne, if back, will only just be back. Whether he'll even get the 13 shirt at Ulster at this stage is in doubt so I can't see him involved in the 23 unless he gets in ahead of Zebo.

VDF gets in ahead of Stander because, well I've made my feelings on the project thing clear enough over the last while. Having guys coming in to plug holes is one thing, but we simply don't have holes in the back row so there's no need for him from that point of view. I'd hate to see him get ahead of a very promising Irish player. And of the 3 back rowers SOB would be the greatest injury risk anyway so having an openside on the bench probably makes more sense. Strauss is there because the next best Irish hooker we have is Cronin, who has issues with some of the basics of the position.

The replacement scrummie is a tough one. As it stands Boss appears to be the form option, but Reddan is improving and for 15-20 mins max he might be fine. Still I'd nearly rather Luke McGrath or Marmion get a shot than having to yet again fall back on guys in their mid-30s.

EDIT: I forgot all about Henry. Again. I have some sort of weird mental block when it comes to that guy, and I have no idea why....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with this tbh. The guy has a lot of raw talent in a lot of areas, but decision making isn't one of them. Playing for a side who has a 9 who controls things (like the French are fond of) or playing 12 outside a strong 10 (as a second five-eight) is where I'd see him doing well. He'd be able to show his talent without having his decision making exposed as much. But I reckon the latter would see an end to his international career.

You've nailed it for me there, molloy. When he is good he is very good but when he is bad he is *****. His performances are a bit 'flighty' for me, which is an effect of the inconsistent decision making. But he could be excellent playing outside the likes of Ruan Pienaar or Morgan Parra. He is very talented, and I hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

molloyjh wrote: »
    So what would everyone's ideal 23 be for the 6 Nations as things stand? Realistically speaking we're not going to see big wholesale changes but we'll need to see some based on injuries and lack of game time etc. Do we have a bit of an issue at lock and scrum half? With our injuries and age profile of our 9s it would seem so. For me:

McGrath Best Moore
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    Earls Kearney Trimble

Strauss, Healy, Furlong, Foley, VDF, ???, Jackson, Zebo

Get your reasoning for leaving him out but for me I'd have Stander in ahead of VDF as he provides better cover across the back row.

Fitzgerald was outstanding at the weekend, and last weekend too, but I'd really like to see a centre combo of McClouskey and Henshaw and have Fitzgerald on the bench instead of Zebo, sorry mods ;)

Scrum half cover it's def between McGrath and Marmion. Marmion has looked really good this year and one particular thing that has impressed me is that his box kicking has really come on. His experience in camp would put him ahead of McGrath for me but would like to see McGrath in the extended squad

Only other change is Muldowney ahead of Foley on the bench. Muldowney has been in super form recently and I think he would be a great addition to the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement