Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gilroy is injured at the moment, although I don't think it's long term. Fractured his eye socket at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Herring is probably ahead of the Munster guys if there was a hooking emergency.

Not sure where Michael Bent fits into the scheme of things any more but he's more recently capped than a lot of the props above, likewise McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

jm08 wrote: »
    You could add in
    TH: Archer is injured. John Ryan instead.
    No 8 is Stander's primary position, not blindside.
    Openside: Tommy O'Donnell (due back from injury shortly). van den Flier
    Scrumhalf: add in Tomas O'Leary

edit: if you are slotting players in prinary position from an Ireland point of view, Earls should be a centre!

AhYou/White might be in contention for TH, Muldowney/Browne/Dillane for lock, and Marmion who at least matches TOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Nice effort Emmet.

If you're talking about possible names for the squad then Conan and Copeland at 8, JvdF for openside, Cave at centre?

Another go

LooseHead Hooker TightHead Second Row Blindside OpenSide 8 Scrum Half Out Half Wing Centre FB
    Buckley Best Ah You Foley Diack SOB Conan Boss Hanrahan Bowe Cave Conway
    Cronin Casey Archer Henderson O'Callaghan Henry Copeland Cooney Jackson D.Kearney Henshaw O'Halloran
    Healy Cronin Furlong McCarthy O'Mahoney Murphy Heaslip Marmion Keatley Earls Marshall R.Kearney
    Kilcoyne Herring Moore Muldowney Ruddock O'Donnell Marshall Madigan Fitzgerald McCloskey
    McGrath Scannell Ross O'Connor Stander Van Der Flier Murray Sexton Gilroy Olding
    Sherry White Ryan O'Leary Healy Payne
    Strauss Toner Reddan McFadden
    Tuohy Trimble
    Zebo

Strauss & Bowe Status?

Don't see Bent being a runner, he's a useful candidate in a limited numbers squad, but not close enough to the others at LH/TH to be involved when there's no real limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Nice effort Emmet.

If you're talking about possible names for the squad then Conan and Copeland at 8, JvdF for openside, Cave at centre?

Is Conan going to make it for the 6N? Leinster deregistered him for the European Cup, so he's clearly not going to be back for the last of the pool games at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You could probably add Olding as he should be available a few weeks before the 6Ns starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What we are really going to miss, not having PoC and PoM this year, si turnovers, they are always good for a few turn-overs.

Best is also a turnover merchant as is o'Brien and JM but losing those two will hurt no end at the breakdown.

What we are really going to miss, not having PoC and PoM this year, si turnovers, they are always good for a few turn-overs.

Best is also a turnover merchant as is o'Brien and JM but losing those two will hurt no end at the breakdown.

Plus we've already lost BOD who was great at it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Honestly I don't get this debate about blooding players and development versus winning matches.

We should play the best players we have available at any point in time. If it's a toss up (or even close to a toss up) absolutely go for the younger player.

If the younger player can't get within "close to a toss up" of a more experienced players than he isn't good enough yet for the Irish team and no one benefits from throwing him into it.

For this reason, there is virtually no trade off between development and winning

I totally agree, if a regular player has a few bad games let him sit it out. Too many copper fastened players in the Irish squad. There's a lot of players thinking of rugby as a career. It should be 10 / 15 years, give it everything, leave it all out on the pitch and get on with the rest of your life.

So you're saying we need Darcy at 12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

padser wrote: »
    Honestly I don't get this debate about blooding players and development versus winning matches.

We should play the best players we have available at any point in time. If it's a toss up (or even close to a toss up) absolutely go for the younger player.

If the younger player can't get within "close to a toss up" of a more experienced players than he isn't good enough yet for the Irish team and no one benefits from throwing him into it.

For this reason, there is virtually no trade off between development and winning
    That's short term and doesn't aid you when you may have a significant number of injuries in big games like key world cup games like what happened in this years world cup
    If you just play the "best players we have available" how do you develop strength in depth/options?

padser wrote: »

That's short term and doesn't aid you when you may have a significant number of injuries in big games like key world cup games like what happened in this years world cup
    If you just play the "best players we have available" how do you develop strength in depth/options?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For all the talk of foreign players holding back young Irish talent there is an issue too with over the hill or underperforming Irish players being continually picked (for both Ireland and their province) instead of giving youth a chance.

This is a problem that Nucifora and the IRFU are overlooking as well.

• Advertisement

More turnover in the national squad based on form, bloods more players and actually strengthens the squad.

More turnover in the national squad based on form, bloods more players and actually strengthens the squad.
    But that isn't true based on whats happened in the past or does happen. We cant play best players that are available each time.
    That doesn't blood more players

But that isn't true based on whats happened in the past or does happen. We cant play best players that are available each time.
    That doesn't blood more players

Tommy Bowe wouldn't have gotten one game in the world cup, going on form.. to name but one..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

awec wrote: »
    For all the talk of foreign players holding back young Irish talent there is an issue too with over the hill or underperforming Irish players being continually picked (for both Ireland and their province) instead of giving youth a chance.

I'm not really sure if this is true anymore.

For the RWC you could only really say it was at 9 where this could have been the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

awec wrote: »

Who are these players you speak of? I'm trying to think of young players who've been held back in this way over the last year or so and can't think of any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not really sure if this is true anymore.

For the RWC you could only really say it was at 9 where this could have been the case.

It's not true, unless you want youth to be given a shot because they are young as opposed to because they are good enough. A huge amount of good work has gone on at Ireland level, it's sad to see so much of it ignored in favour of a bit of outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm not a big fan of the Wolfhounds games (at least not on a one off basis), but I wonder if we'll get to see a McCloskey/Ringrose centre pairing against the Saxons this year. That could be worth the admission fee alone...provided they get the ball...

There was a black kid playing lock for the U20s this year or last year. Can't remember his name but he looked pretty good. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Yeah_Right wrote:
    There was a black kid playing lock for the U20s this year or last year. Can't remember his name but he looked pretty good. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Cian romaine I think? Plays with Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

You're probably thinking of Ultan Dillane from Tralee, playing with Connacht

Yeah it was Romaine I was thinking of from this years U20s. Looked good. How's he progressing?

I see Dillane is signed to Connact till 2017. Is he any good? Haven't seen much of him.

Yeah it was Romaine I was thinking of from this years U20s. Looked good. How's he progressing?

I see Dillane is signed to Connact till 2017. Is he any good? Haven't seen much of him.

He's progressing well, had a good game against Munster and nearly burrowed over for a try.
    He still need to fill out a bit, but he's only 22, plenty of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Been benching for Eagles - he had serious partnership with Dillane last season though so not sure why he has slipped down to bench
    A huge unit - i vividly remember him doing a SBW style offload in an Eagles game last season. Still only Year 1 Academy so time enough for him

Edit: I'm on about Romaine here not Dillane

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the Wolfhounds games (at least not on a one off basis), but I wonder if we'll get to see a McCloskey/Ringrose centre pairing against the Saxons this year. That could be worth the admission fee alone...provided they get the ball...
    I think they have their uses but as Welsh etc wont re-establish their A teams one off games are all that will occur.

Romaine is in Connacht mainly with Eagles. Ive seen Dillane a lot from age grade up. Really talented footballer - national shot putter as well as the rugby. Saw him play some division 2 AIL this season and he looked ridiculously good at that level...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    He's progressing well, had a good game against Munster and nearly burrowed over for a try.
    He still need to fill out a bit, but he's only 22, plenty of time

Should have seen him 2 Years ago - he was a string of piss
    Fecking tank in comparison now

bilston wrote: »

No Wolfhounds game this year. It's a shame but just no time.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Should have seen him 2 Years ago - he was a string of piss
    Fecking tank in comparison now

I did see him ;)
    But yes, he's def getting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wonder will they bother with Madigan as 3rd choice if he's overseas? If not, it'll be interesting to see what they do with that 3rd spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I wonder will they bother with Madigan as 3rd choice if he's overseas? If not, it'll be interesting to see what they do with that 3rd spot.

I doubt that Madigan will drop out of Irish squads from 2nd choice during the RWC. Joe doesn't appear to be a fan of Jackson and Madigan is easily the most reliable kicker Ireland has available.

I doubt that Madigan will drop out of Irish squads from 2nd choice during the RWC. Joe doesn't appear to be a fan of Jackson and Madigan is easily the most reliable kicker Ireland has available.

Nucifora seemed to suggest they'd be preferring the guys based in Ireland when asked about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he does drop out.

It's important for the 2nd choice to be in training camps I guess because they're not going to get any gametime to build up familiarity. Given Jackson's form I'd easilly have him ahead of Madigan, but I would have had him ahead of Madigan for a while now.

Who else is there? There is quite literally no one.

It will be interesting to see if it affects the pecking order this season alright, but next season it's probably a foregone conclusion.

It will be interesting to see if it affects the pecking order this season alright, but next season it's probably a foregone conclusion.

There's Keatley. He started a game ahead of Madigan this year, although it is easy to forget given how his form has gone since.

There's no question Madigan is the best goal kicker in Ireland but I don't see how that's enough to compensate for the stuff he doesn't do nearly as well as other players. If he was playing at 15 or 12 then maybe you could argue hos kicking ability means he should be in the team but as a 10 no.

Obviously it depends on if you're talking about replacing Sexton on 60 minutes or playing the full 80 but even just based on game time this season Jackson should be #2 in thr pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

An outhalf who is mainly used at 12 but the preferred kicker over the 1st choice 10, Craig Ronaldson is the obvious replacement ;)

There's no question Madigan is the best goal kicker in Ireland but I don't see how that's enough to compensate for the stuff he doesn't do nearly as well as other players. If he was playing at 15 or 12 then maybe you could argue hos kicking ability means he should be in the team but as a 10 no.

Obviously it depends on if you're talking about replacing Sexton on 60 minutes or playing the full 80 but even just based on game time this season Jackson should be #2 in thr pecking order.

On form this season, Jackson would be starting for Ireland in the 6N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Something like this for 6N:

McGrath, Best, Moore, Ryan, Toner, SOB, JVDF, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Trimble, McCloskey, Henshaw, Earls, Kearney

Cronin, Kilcoyne*, Furlong, Foley/AOC, TOD**, Marmion, Jackson, Gilroy

*I'd have Healy but his form is iffy and he went off last night. Kilcoyne has been a brilliant carrier for Munster and I reckon he's a very good option as a substitute.

**Stander will probably be selected but...um...well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Cronin, Kilcoyne*, Furlong, Foley/AOC, TOD, Marmion, Jackson, Gilroy

*I'd have Healy but his form is iffy and he went off last night. Kilcoyne has been a brilliant carrier for Munster and I reckon he's a very good option as a substitute. Stander will probably be selected but...um...well...

think McCarthy, Ruddock, Fitz will be involved. I would be surprised if VDF gets into a 23 barring injury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Steenson...

On form this season, Jackson would be starting for Ireland in the 6N.

True. But I can't see Joe making that leap.

• Advertisement

True. But I can't see Joe making that leap.

No he won't. Jackson will be very fortunate if he benches for the big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

No he won't. Jackson will be very fortunate if he benches for the big games.

Jackson benched for the first 4 6n games in 2014 so its not out of the question by any means

Cronin, Kilcoyne*, Furlong, Foley/AOC, TOD**, Marmion, Jackson, Gilroy

*I'd have Healy but his form is iffy and he went off last night. Kilcoyne has been a brilliant carrier for Munster and I reckon he's a very good option as a substitute.

**Stander will probably be selected but...um...well...

You'd want to get off the Stander hobbyhorse, its boring now, we have 2 players who are already in the squad because of the rule, if any more come thru via the 3 year rule and they are good enough for selection, fair play to all concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    You'd want to get off the Stander hobbyhorse, its boring now, we have 2 players who are already in the squad because of the rule, if any more come thru via the 3 year rule and they are good enough for selection, fair play to all concerned

It's not a Stander hobbyhorse, never was. Fair play to all concerned indeed, since my issue was never with the players but the union(s)/World Rugby. I agree with you though, I'll try to stop mentioning it since it's been done to death.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Jackson benched for the first 4 6n games in 2014 so its not out of the question by any means

And he's been very good this season so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement