Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

True. But I can't see Joe making that leap.

Therefore you see Joe making a mistake by not picking him ?

Something like this for 6N:

McGrath, Best, Moore, Ryan, Toner, SOB, JVDF, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Trimble, McCloskey, Henshaw, Earls, Kearney

Cronin, Kilcoyne*, Furlong, Foley/AOC, TOD**, Marmion, Jackson, Gilroy

*I'd have Healy but his form is iffy and he went off last night. Kilcoyne has been a brilliant carrier for Munster and I reckon he's a very good option as a substitute.

**Stander will probably be selected but...um...well...

Assuming your team is your guess of Joe's pick given that you give your own modifcation preferences on it, surely it is impossible that he will drop Mads ? Do you really believe he will select Paddy ahead of him ? And Gilroy ? No Geraldsie ? If anything, on recent Joe form, he is likely ahead of Earlsie, let alone Gillie ?

JDF is the one I really could not see him going for this time. Too early.
    Stander or Rudser.

And he's been very good this season so far.

He has. But the equation remains the same. Jonny is the preferred (though form certainly doesnt deserve it but he still has credit in the bank). But Madser is still the better kicker than all, is Joe's prefered bencher consistently, and did nothing wrong at all yesterday merit demotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

For me I see this as our first team due to injuries....

McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Toner
    McCarthy
    Ruddock
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    McCloskey
    Henshaw
    Trimble
    Kearney

Strauss, Healy, Furlong, Ryan, Stander, Reddan, Jackson/Madigan, Earls

Couple of things... Schmidt is very keen about having someone with experience in midfield. A lot of what a centre does is feeling the game, line speed, decision making in both offence and defence, so I can completely see where he's coming from with Payne. However in his absence who else fills that void? Cave maybe but I don't see it. I have a feeling McCloskey will seriously impress if he's brought in for training and get in there. A pretty green midfield but I think Schmidt will gamble on it.

Tight head is another one that's hard to call. I wonder if Ross will even make the squad... For me his still scrummaging well and our set piece is still a weapon so I can see him starting. Furlong for me has been outperforming Moore though... Who's fitness is a big issue IMO.

At lock I can see either McCarthy or Ryan starting... Just gone with McCarthy as I think he's in super form at the moment and we need that bit of dog in the pack.

Ruddock at 6 for me because I can't see stander being dumped into international rugby in the 6n. Stander on the bench to get that token cap to tie him to Ireland. Call me a cynic.

As backup halfbacks I'm not 100% sure. Unfortunately Marmion still hadn't shown us why he should be Ireland no. 2 which is worrying. Personally I think Jackson is the no. 2 fly half but I can see mads getting the nod on versatility.

I'll try to stop mentioning it since it's been done to death.

Worth mentioning - its not gone away you know....
    Its a troubling problem that is in danger of becoming a bit too prominent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Therefore you see Joe making a mistake by not picking him ?

Jackson has been the in form 10 in Ireland this season and as big a fan of his as I am I still wouldn't start him over Sexton. So no, in that respect I don't think Joe would be making a mistake by not picking Jackson as our starting 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Given injuries to Healy, Ross, Henderson, POM, Payne, Earls and Bowe (that's a serious injury list!).

McGrath Best Moore
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    Zebo R Kearney Trimble

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Furlong, McCarthy, Henry, Marmion, Jackson, D Kearney

What is the story with Payne, haven't heard an update on his injury for ages, is he out of the 6N?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is the story with Payne, haven't heard an update on his injury for ages, is he out of the 6N?

On Sky yesterday or the day before as part of the match coverage, he was part of a pile of Ulster players out doing publicity in Belfast city centre, and I'm fairly certain he said during that that he's back in training and getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Worth mentioning - its not gone away you know....
    Its a troubling problem that is in danger of becoming a bit too prominent.

How is it a problem? There are a very limited number of project players, and only some of them will make it. Playing with these players at club level can only improve the young Irish talent coming through. Look at the young centres coming through at Ulster playing with Payne. Nathan White is pushing young props in Connacht to improve, and they are. Provinces have always benefited from foreign players coming in with new ideas, higher expectations and standards, even if they never play for Ireland they have improved the standard of rugby here. We have only 2 or 3 players in a matchday 23 who are IQ by residency, that leaves 20-21 who are Irish developed. What is too prominent in your book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Zzippy wrote: »
    How is it a problem? There are a very limited number of project players, and only some of them will make it. Playing with these players at club level can only improve the young Irish talent coming through. Look at the young centres coming through at Ulster playing with Payne. Nathan White is pushing young props in Connacht to improve, and they are. Provinces have always benefited from foreign players coming in with new ideas, higher expectations and standards, even if they never play for Ireland they have improved the standard of rugby here. We have only 2 or 3 players in a matchday 23 who are IQ by residency, that leaves 20-21 who are Irish developed. What is too prominent in your book?

Wanting Foreign Players In Provinces =/= Wanting Foreign Players Play for National Side

Delighted to see likes of Payne, Heenan, Bundee and Stander contribute to the clubs but I personally don't like the whole idea of project players with intention of making them Irish Internationals..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Wanting Foreign Players In Provinces =/= Wanting Foreign Players Play for National Side

Delighted to see likes of Payne, Heenan, Bundee and Stander contribute to the clubs but I personally don't like the whole idea of project players with intention of making them Irish Internationals..

Frankly, if they are here to play and commit to playing in the arse end of Cork or Galway for 3 years then they should be allowed pick the fckin team
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Just thinking about Madigan again, he's definitely going to suffer now that IRFU have followed some of the other tier 1 countries in scheduling a money-grubbing test outside the international window.

It means whatever happens with injury, form and selection, he'll definitely miss the opening autumn test this year. And we know that Joe likes continuity so he could find it hard to get back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Just thinking about Madigan again, he's definitely going to suffer now that IRFU have followed some of the other tier 1 countries in scheduling a money-grubbing test outside the international window.

It means whatever happens with injury, form and selection, he'll definitely miss the opening autumn test this year. And we know that Joe likes continuity so he could find it hard to get back in.

Do we have 4 games next november?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

aimee1 wrote: »

We are confirmed as playing NZ, Australia and Canada at the Aviva but are allegedly going to be playing NZ in Chicago as well at the start of November but that's not confirmed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Ya I think it's Canada-All Blacks-Australia-All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought all the tests in November were in the IRB window. When Wales scheduled an extra one, wasn't that the fifth for them and was in December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I thought all the tests in November were in the IRB window. When Wales scheduled an extra one, wasn't that the fifth for them and was in December?

It's the 4th game that's outside the window. It's the Kiwis insatiable lust for cash that's causing all of our problems.

It's the 4th game that's outside the window. It's the Kiwis insatiable lust for cash that's causing all of our problems.

Is it NZ at home or NZ in Chicago that's outside the window? Seems a weird situation to be in that a home match against the World Champions is essentially meaningless. Or is it still an official test if it's outside the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What are the official test windows? I always thought it was June and November plus the 6Nations and the RC. I did a Google and it mentions that the windows are only 3 weeks but I couldn't find dates.

Is it NZ at home or NZ in Chicago that's outside the window? Seems a weird situation to be in that a home match against the World Champions is essentially meaningless. Or is it still an official test if it's outside the window?

It's an official test. The game that consigned Wales to be 3rd seeds at the last world cup was outside the window.

The one outside the window is in Chicago I think?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What are the official test windows? I always thought it was June and November plus the 6Nations and the RC. I did a Google and it mentions that the windows are only 3 weeks but I couldn't find dates.

I think the dates are just decided every year by World Rugby and then they notify the Unions?

It's an official test. The game that consigned Wales to be 3rd seeds at the last world cup was outside the window.

The one outside the window is in Chicago I think?

The NZ match in Chicago is first, the 5th of November and then the one at home is the 19th of November. Or that's what was reported a few weeks ago anyway. There's Canada in between and then Australia on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Are Ireland Wolfhounds playing this year? If so: 1. Buckley 2. Sherry? 3. Furlong 4. Muldowny 5. O' Connor 6. O' Donoghue 7. Van Der flier 8. ? 9. Marmion/Mcgrath 10. JJ/Carty 11/14. any number of wings to pick from. 12. McCloskey 13. Ringrose/Luke MArshall 15. O'Halloran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Are Ireland Wolfhounds playing this year? If so: 1. Buckley 2. Sherry? 3. Furlong 4. Muldowny 5. O' Connor 6. O' Donoghue 7. Van Der flier 8. ? 9. Marmion/Mcgrath 10. JJ/Carty 11/14. any number of wings to pick from. 12. McCloskey 13. Ringrose/Luke MArshall 15. O'Halloran
    Wolfhounds are not playing this year as there isn't room in season for a game considering the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Some Yoke wrote: »

I know they're not playing but would have to say it would be Masterson at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

In a year or two we will have good depth at centre and serious selection headache. We eill have McCloskey, Henshaw and Ringrose duking it out for the top spot with good backups in Payne, Marshall, Fitzgerald. and Olding when he us fit. Choosing between those top three will be seriously hard, thoughts on who you guys think will be the starting pair come 2019??

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    In a year or two we will have good depth at centre and serious selection headache. We eill have McCloskey, Henshaw and Ringrose duking it out for the top spot with good backups in Payne, Marshall, Fitzgerald. and Olding when he us fit. Choosing between those top three will be seriously hard, thoughts on who you guys think will be the starting pair come 2019??

Stuie and Rosie. The most natural 12, 13 combo coming on stream.

dtpc191991 wrote: »

By 2019 Fitzgerald and Payne will be 31 and 34 respectively. While not entirely over the hill I would hope we would have younger backup having come through by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

By 2019 Fitzgerald and Payne will be 31 and 34 respectively. While not entirely over the hill I would hope we would have younger backup having come through by then.

Marshall and Olding will be the best bet if they can get enough gametime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

My team for 1st 6n match

-McGrath (like to see Buckley get one cap off the bench some time in the comp)
    Best
    Moore
    -toner/ Ryan (like to see dillane and o Connor on the training squad)
    -Ruddock/heislip/o brien(stander in the bench)
    Murray (marmian on the bench)
    Sexton (Jackson in the bench)
    -mccloskey /Marshall(playing great at 13)
    Zebo and Trimble
    -toh

Then a lot of lads like henshaw come in when they get over their injurys.
    Strong team with some youth

If they are both fit does anyone seriously believe the centres will be anything other than Henshaw and Payne?

Henshaw we know will be back, Payne appears likely to be back.

LHP is possibly up for grabs between McGrath and Healy
    Hooker is nailed on to be Best
    THP I think will be Ross because of the huge loss of experience suffered elsewhere in the pack
    One Lock is nailed on to be Toner with most likely Ryan alongside with McCarthy benching.
    O'Brien and Heaslip are locked in at 7 and 8. Ruddock has to be the heavy favourite at 6.
    Murray and Sexton will be 9 & 10
    If fit Henshaw and Payne will be the centres
    If fit Kearney starts at FB
    The wings are wide open, with Trimble, Fitzgerald and Earls the most likely candidates.

Anything else will be a bit of a surprise.

I will say this though I expect a fair bit of fresh blood in the extended squad with McCloskey, Ringrose, Van Der Flier, O'Halloran, Dillane, a return for Marshall and maybe even O'Connor real options now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bilston wrote: »
    If they are both fit does anyone seriously believe the centres will be anything other than Henshaw and Payne?

Henshaw we know will be back, Payne appears likely to be back.

LHP is possibly up for grabs between McGrath and Healy
    Hooker is nailed on to be Best
    THP I think will be Ross because of the huge loss of experience suffered elsewhere in the pack
    One Lock is nailed on to be Toner with most likely Ryan alongside with McCarthy benching.
    O'Brien and Heaslip are locked in at 7 and 8. Ruddock has to be the heavy favourite at 6.
    Murray and Sexton will be 9 & 10
    If fit Henshaw and Payne will be the centres
    If fit Kearney starts at FB
    The wings are wide open, with Trimble, Fitzgerald and Earls the most likely candidates.

Anything else will be a bit of a surprise.

I will say this though I expect a fair bit of fresh blood in the extended squad with McCloskey, Ringrose, Van Der Flier, O'Halloran, Dillane, a return for Marshall and maybe even O'Connor real options now.

Don't think Ross will be back from injury in time. White/Moore in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We could well see SOB at 6 to accommodate Henry and Ruddock on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

stephen_n wrote: »
    We could well see SOB at 6 to accommodate Henry and Ruddock on the bench.

Stander won't miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

The big question for me is: Will Stander be this years Zebo?

Bonus points for: Will Zebo also be this years Zebo?

:D

Stander won't miss out.

he will defo be in the extended squad but I am not so sure he will make the 23 on a regular basis in the 6n this time around

he will defo be in the extended squad but I am not so sure he will make the 23 on a regular basis in the 6n this time around

I'd be surprised if he isn't in the 23. Especially in the absence of POM.

When is the first training camp? France named a 30 man squad for their first camp yesterday.

When is the first training camp? France named a 30 man squad for their first camp yesterday.

next week by all accounts

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if he isn't in the 23. Especially in the absence of POM.

I think he will be in or around the 23 but im not sure he will be in each one, we have seen this from JS before of selecting his bench based on stuff only he and the other coaches know etc. I reckon Ruddock, Henry, SOB and Heaslip [all injury permitting of course] might be the preferred options to begin with. Just a hunch more then anything

Do we actually name the training camp players or is it usually just any media there report who is it isn't there.

Do we actually name the training camp players or is it usually just any media there report who is it isn't there.

dont recall us every naming a group for camp but its usually gets into the media who is present

Zzippy wrote: »
    Don't think Ross will be back from injury in time. White/Moore in his place.

Right enough. Forgot about that!

Not ideal for Ulster and Munster given we both have big European games next weekend.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a camp on Sunday but it's only a 24 hour get together as far as I know.

In which case it shouldn't affect selections this weekend or next.

awec wrote: »
    There is a camp on Sunday but it's only a 24 hour get together as far as I know.

In which case it shouldn't affect selections this weekend or next.

Good to hear, plus isn't the Oyonnax game on the Sunday?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Good to hear, plus isn't the Oyonnax game on the Sunday?

I think the camp is this Sunday after the Munster game.

There's no way the IRFU deprive a province of internationals for a European game next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

awec wrote: »
    I think the camp is this Sunday after the Munster game.

There's no way the IRFU deprive a province of internationals for a European game next weekend.

I've heard the 24hour camp is not calling up players that Ulster & Munster can use next weekend in their European games. Injured players from both provinces might get the call up to be involved in the group think.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I've heard the 24hour camp is not calling up players that Ulster & Munster can use next weekend in their European games. Injured players from both provinces might get the call up to be involved in the group think.

So it's basically a Leinster training camp?

No change there then:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement