Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

Fractured his jaw before the tournament, was healed for opener luckily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

jm08 wrote: »
    Being played often is no indication of being fully fit.

It does however tend to be an indicator that you're not injured (minor bumps and bruises aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If there was a good enough option to play there (Fitz) why wasn't he used? The point is that not a fully fit earls was regarded as a better option than a fully fit Fitz.

As for the medical staff - they seemed to have been rather slow finding out how bad Payne's injury was.

It's like banging your head against the wall except you might actually eventually get somewhere doing that.

Look, you're obviously not going to agree with me... or almost anyone on here by the looks of things about Fitzgerald. I for one, will just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

sydthebeat wrote: »
    because, as has been painfully point out to you again and again and again... fitz was back up 12, earls was back up 13

its really not hard to understand

Are you telling me that Fitz would have not trained at 13 even though he was on the bench to presumably cover injuries?

Wasn't the reason for Madigan's inclusion was his ability to cover 12 & 15 as well? Of the 2 centres, Henshaw was the least likely to get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Andy Farrell hired as Ireland defense coach?!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are you telling me that Fitz would have not trained at 13 even though he was on the bench to presumably cover injuries?

Wasn't the reason for Madigan's inclusion was his ability to cover 12 & 15 as well? Of the 2 centres, Henshaw was the least likely to get injured.

dont go trying to move goal posts....

fitz was back up 12, earls was back up 13

thats the reason earls played when payne was injured... none else.
    similarly fitz played 12 when henshaw was injured.

Trying to turn it into some 'my players better than your player' argument is petty and childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Sanjuro wrote: »
    ??? didnt see that coming

just got a little sick in my mouth there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

wicklowdub wrote: »
    ??? didnt see that coming

Just popped up on FB there about 7 min ago.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36562.php#.Vo0zwxWLShc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

And in their tweet about it they used a photo of him in an England top. I know it's irrelevant to the merits of the appointment but fairly bad PR management.

• Advertisement

weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

He-he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Coming for to carry me home......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

When RK was injured, who replaced him ???

The guy designated as FB cover or Madigan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

At first I was like :eek:

Then I remember all the games we played against England recently and how balls hard it was to score a try against them.

Then I was like.... hmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Facking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't know about that one. Has Englands defence been particularly good in the last while? I don't know that it has. In fairness in that game against us in Twickenham 2 years ago their defence was genuinely something special I thought, but since then I can't remember being overly impressed with them. They conceded quite a lot in the 2015 6 Nations, but then a lot of that is skewed by that game against France I suppose.

dont go trying to move goal posts....

fitz was back up 12, earls was back up 13

thats the reason earls played when payne was injured... none else.
    similarly fitz played 12 when henshaw was injured.

Trying to turn it into some 'my players better than your player' argument is petty and childish.

You made the claim that the reason fitz would not have been considered for 13 is because he would not have trained there. I don't agree. As bench cover at least he would have trained there.

In that article of 20th NOvember, earls says it's alllright NOW which would indicate to me that it wasn't alright up to then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

OMG - didn't see that one coming!

1. You made the claim that the reason fitz would not have been considered for 13 is because he would not have trained there..

i absolutely did not :confused:
    In that article of 20th NOvember, earls says it's alleging NOW which would indicate to me that it wasn't alright up to then.

really... is THAT the line your now trying to pull????
    youre gone beyond parody now.
    the guy HIMSELF has said it

• Advertisement

You made the claim that the reason fitz would not have been considered for 13 is because he would not have trained there. I don't agree.

Whether you agree or not doesn't change the facts. Which are pretty blatant. Fitz was back up 12 and Earls was back up 13.

Now maybe once Payne was injured Fitz started doing more training at 13 to back up Earls but in terms of the hierarchy Earls was ahead o Fitz at 13 and Fitz was ahead of Earls at 12.

Is there any chance we can now end this entirely moronic conversation. It's all very simple and self explanatory so shouldn't require all this time and effort.

Re: Andy Farrell, thank god it's not Kurt McQuilken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is there not a conflict of interest, how do we know he won't be throwing his kid an auld bone every know and then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

There's a list of Ireland's top 30 rugby players of 2015 on pundit arena here.

Its not at all surprising to see POM, Best, and POC rounding out the top 3, although sentimentality would have seen me give the top spot to POC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

LostArt wrote: »
    Re: Andy Farrell, thank god it's not Kurt McQuilken.

Club before country?

i absolutely did not :confused:

really... is THAT the line your now trying to pull????
    youre gone beyond parody now.
    the guy HIMSELF has said it

Apologies I thought you were supporting that claim that ventour made.

He was hardly going to say it was fractured straight out and land the irfu medical people in the **** particularly when Schmidt pretended it was a concussion at the time!

He did let slip thought that it was OK NOW in November which is around the usual time a fracture would take to heal.

Club before country?

We've given enough, we can't even hire a forwards coach so Kurt going would have been a disaster.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Whether you agree or not doesn't change the facts. Which are pretty blatant. Fitz was back up 12 and Earls was back up 13.

Now maybe once Payne was injured Fitz started doing more training at 13 to back up Earls but in terms of the hierarchy Earls was ahead o Fitz at 13 and Fitz was ahead of Earls at 12.

Is there any chance we can now end this entirely moronic conversation. It's all very simple and self explanatory so shouldn't require all this time and effort.

All very simple indeed interpreted like that, particularly when Cave is excluded from the equation.

Schmidt: "Go get that really good English coach... name begins with an 'F'.... son plays outhalf... ugggh what's his name again..."

IRFU: "Say no more Joe, we know EXACTLY who you're talking about!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I would love to see Payne compete with Kearney at FB. Kearney just isn't doing it for me these past couple of years. He is good under the high ball, but his counter attacking is non-existent these days and his defence is always worrying.

So would love to see Payne handed the 15 jersey for a game or two, see how he goes. He was the best back in the country when playing 15 for Ulster. Combine him with some really talented other backs.....could be very special. When he has more time and space he glides past players, and makes good decisions. We have many more options at centre now, and we have scope to experiment (to a degree) with the next world cup a number of years away. So we could have a look at a new centre partnership(s), and shift Payne out to FB. And he can cover centre if required. Kearney is a FB. And Joe loves players who can cover other positions as we have seen. At the very least, it would give Kearney a genuine class FB he needs to compete with.

Can't see it happening for a few reasons, but would be very interesting if it did.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Andy Farrell is just an early april fools joke, right?

He was hardly going to say it was fractured straight out and land the irfu medical people in the **** particularly when Schmidt pretended it was a concussion at the time!

He did let slip thought that it was OK NOW in November which is around the usual time a fracture would take to heal.

you really have:
    a. no idea, or
    b. a very poor idea of:

1. the capabilities of the irish medical staff
    2. the professionalism of munster players

if you think keith earls wanted to / was able to keep a broken jaw from the medics there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There's a list of Ireland's top 30 rugby players of 2015 on pundit arena here.

Its not at all surprising to see POM, Best, and POC rounding out the top 3, although sentimentality would have seen me give the top spot to POC.

I saw that before and thought there was some unusual selections so checked the guys twitter, was not surprised that he's a Munster supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

That is an unexpected announcement.

However, in my opinion that is a very good appointment.

molloyjh wrote: »

All very simple indeed interpreted like that, particularly when Cave is excluded from the equation.

For the record - cave started 2 games at 12 in the rugby World Cup campaign, none at 13. There must have been some queue to train at 12 for the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Noopti wrote: »

Agreed. Very good experience as a coach for someone so young. Lions and England and you would have to trust Schmidt in his decisions.

Well in fairness he pretty much was.

For the record he played 1 game in the RWC, not 2.

you really have:
    a. no idea, or
    b. a very poor idea of:

1. the capabilities of the irish medical staff
    2. the professionalism of munster players

if you think keith earls wanted to / was able to keep a broken jaw from the medics there

We only found out in November that it was a fractured jaw, not concussion. I guess we are not been told the truth by the Irish management - otherwise they are not getting their diagnosis right.

Interesting that the team doctor has recently resigned.

Noopti wrote: »

The biggest winners are Leinster who get to keep their current defence coach. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

AGC wrote: »
    Agreed. Very good experience as a coach for someone so young. Lions and England and you would have to trust Schmidt in his decisions.

Great announcement

• Advertisement

So is this kind of like Vince bringing Paul Heyman in to run ECW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

gally74 wrote: »
    Great announcement

Agreed, Schmidt badly needs assistance, no question about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I know Argentina made fools out of us, but I would have thought that our defence is one of our strongest areas generally. We don't concede many tries. Obviously if you think that the Argentina thing wasn't a blip, then fair enough, but England equally were exposed by Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think it could be an excellent appointment. Farrell obviously impressed the Irish lads on the Lions tour you'd have to imagine.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know Argentina made fools out of us, but I would have thought that our defence is one of our strongest areas generally. We don't concede many tries. Obviously if you think that the Argentina thing wasn't a blip, then fair enough, but England equally were exposed by Australia.

But with Kiss gone to Ulster we needed to appoint someone, right?

The other downside being is we have another coach who loves kicking the ball away. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Neil3030 wrote: »
    But with Kiss gone to Ulster we needed to appoint someone, right?

True, I actually forgot about that :o

awec wrote: »
    The other downside being is we have another coach who loves kicking the ball away. :(

If his remit is defence and nothing else then I think this could be an OK appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

awec wrote: »

Agreed, but this tactic will work out just fine, until we meet oppostion outside of the 6N, so apart from the irrelevant Autumn internationals teams will just cancel each other out with the box kicks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement