Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

thomasm wrote: »

:pac:

This would actually be the worst thing ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jm08 wrote: »
    We only found out in November that it was a fractured jaw, not concussion. I guess we are not been told the truth by the Irish management - otherwise they are not getting their diagnosis right.

Interesting that the team doctor has recently resigned.

we dont have to be told every incident immediately , we're only fans. Youve a very heighted sense of your own importance if you think the management needs to inform you of every development.

do you not think it prudent by management NOT to publish the fact Earls had only recovered from a broken jaw right before the RWC, and thus saving him from being a target ???

and as for the "doctor resigning" tin foil hat nonsense, that doesnt deserve a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

'It is already being suggested....' err yeah suggested by yourselves - clowns!

I don't think we'll lose Schmidt anyway unless the wheels come off the cart in a big way.

He would only leave for the NZ gig I think and can't see him getting that at present. Maybe a Super XV job but doubt it.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    'It is already being suggested....' err yeah suggested by yourselves - clowns!

I don't think we'll lose Schmidt anyway unless the wheels come off the cart in a big way.

He would only leave for the NZ gig I think and can't see him getting that at present. Maybe a Super XV job but doubt it.

He might have to go manage in the S15 for a bit if he wants the NZ gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

With Schmidt's IRFU contract expiring in 2017, it is already being suggested that Farrell is being groomed to take over the head coach role for the next world cup.

****Around an hour ago at the Indo offices****

Cormac Byrne: "Do you reckon that maybe Farrell will take over from Schmidt if he leaves at the end of his contract"
    Indo co-worker: "I dunno, maybe"
    Cormac Byrne *Begins typing*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know Argentina made fools out of us, but I would have thought that our defence is one of our strongest areas generally. We don't concede many tries. Obviously if you think that the Argentina thing wasn't a blip, then fair enough, but England equally were exposed by Australia.

The was down to the players, one in particular and player selection which is down to the head coach.

I wonder what will happen to Schmidt. I've always thought it would be inevitable that Ireland would have a dip in form or player talent that would end up ousting him, but will he go the same way as EOS and Kidney? Unable to hold onto another significant coaching role?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know Argentina made fools out of us, but I would have thought that our defence is one of our strongest areas generally. We don't concede many tries. Obviously if you think that the Argentina thing wasn't a blip, then fair enough, but England equally were exposed by Australia.

I agree with you, but even in the Italy game and a few warm ups we were exposed with front row players defending opposition backs. Happened too many times for me not to be a systems failure. Very narrow in defence, think one of the TV3 pundits highlighted it.

Not dissing Kiss either, he built the system around Payne and when he was missing our D was exposed. Great coach and Ulster are a lucky team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

awec wrote: »

True that's why I didn't rule it out and if one of the NZ teams comes up it's even more likely obviously. But still would be surprised enough, his family is here six years now is it, they must be quite settled so I kind of expect him to be around until 2019, who knows though, that's an awful long time in rugby.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    True that's why I didn't rule it out and if one of the NZ teams comes up it's even more likely obviously. But still would be surprised enough, his family is here six years now is it, they must be quite settled so I kind of expect him to be around until 2019, who knows though, that's an awful long time in rugby.

Depends on his aspirations really. I think it's unlikely he'd go straight from managing Ireland to managing the All Blacks, his stock is a lot higher in the NH than it is in the SH.

If he gets the Lions gig it's obviously a good opportunity for him, but I guess the problem is that NZ have good coaches in the S15 and they'd want to be seen to be promoting from within where possible to try and keep their best coaches in NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hardly think so. If Joe left next year for the Lions or for some other reason I'd be expecting someone like Les Kiss to be the most likely replacement.

I've always thought it would be inevitable that Ireland would have a dip in form or player talent that would end up ousting him, but will he go the same way as EOS and Kidney? Unable to hold onto another significant coaching role?

Ehh... You know that hasn't actually happened, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

sydthebeat wrote: »
    we dont have to be told every incident immediately , we're only fans. Youve a very heighted sense of your own importance if you think the management needs to inform you of every development.

do you not think it prudent by management NOT to publish the fact Earls had only recovered from a broken jaw right before the RWC, and thus saving him from being a target ???

and as for the "doctor resigning" tin foil hat nonsense, that doesnt deserve a reply

It's worth noting that we are not always told the truth for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

And NZ would have to want him too!

Jeepers, you guys always assume that NZ would jump at the first opportunity to appoint Schmidt, that somehow he would be a better coach than our current one (whose record is staggering, even by historical NZ rugby standards), and that he would be automatically preferred over the likes of Dave Rennie.

I would have thought that 2015 might have put some doubts as to whether Schmidt is all that.

I am with-holding my own judgement until the end of this season, which will really establish his standing or otherwise.

If he wins the 6N (especially GS), takes down SA in SA, and hands NZ their arse, then yes, the NZRU will be gagging to have Schmidt back in Aotearoa. A midt-table 6N finish, and zip against SANZAR for 2015, and there will be a lot less interest.

I wish him the best of luck, though, with the exception of 2 of the end-of-year tests of course...

swiwi_ wrote: »

Jeepers, you guys always assume that NZ would jump at the first opportunity to appoint Schmidt, that somehow he would be a better coach than our current one (whose record is staggering, even by historical NZ rugby standards), and that he would be automatically preferred over the likes of Dave Rennie.

I would have thought that 2015 might have put some doubts as to whether Schmidt is all that.

I am with-holding my own judgement until the end of this season, which will really establish his standing or otherwise.

If he wins the 6N (especially GS), takes down SA in SA, and hands NZ their arse, then yes, the NZRU will be gagging to have Schmidt back in Aotearoa. A midt-table 6N finish, and zip against SANZAR for 2015, and there will be a lot less interest.

I wish him the best of luck, though, with the exception of 2 of the end-of-year tests of course...

Yea, I said a few posts back that his stock is a lot higher in the NH than it is in the SH. He still has to prove himself down there IMO.

Even if they are interested though swiwi, would there be an expectation he come back to the S15 before going straight into the ABs? Or going in as an assistant first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bit of an overreaction. I don't think anybody is suggesting NZ are hunting Schmidt, just that Schmidt may have aspirations for the NZ job and if he does he may have to do a stint in the S15 to be in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Schmidt's rating has fallen massively after the world cup. He'll be under pressure this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Interesting tidbit from the IT article
    Farrell, whose son Owen is an England international, won’t be able to work with Ireland during the Six Nations because of one or two issues relating to the winding down of his current contract with the English RFU.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Schmidt's rating has fallen massively after the world cup. He'll be under pressure this year.

Under pressure from who? You?

Under pressure from who? You?

No. I simply refused to buy into the hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

he is under pressure regardless, its top level pro sport, goes with the territory

Who will have him under any more pressure than he's been under since his appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He won the 2015 6 nations, so I doubt it.

His record since 2011:
    2011 - Heineken Cup winner
    2012 - Heineken Cup winner
    2013 - Pro 12 winner. European Challenge Cup winner
    2014 - 6 Nations winner
    2015 - 6 Nations winner

He is clearly all that!

yeah, england wanted to appoint a dirt tracker :rolleyes:

Who will have him under any more pressure than he's been under since his appointment?

He'll be under no pressure for keeping his job, and Irish fans will not be going against him or anything like that. He has more than enough credit in the tank and truth be told we'd appoint nobody better.

The only pressure Schmidt is under is the pressure related to his future and what it means for whatever ambitions he has. The WC will have done him no favours if he has ambitions to manage the All Blacks, an average 2016 and he could find himself out of mind completely.

The likes of yourself. ;)

His record since 2011:
    2014 - 6 Nations winner
    2015 - 6 Nations winner

He is clearly all that!
    They wouldn't care so much about the 6 nations, especially without a grand slam. The Heineken Cup / pro 12 stuff matters even less.

Ultimately he'd have to win a grand slam (or two), win the series against the boks and beat new zealand and probably even win the lions series as well before his CV was considered impressive to the NZRU.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah, england wanted to appoint a dirt tracker :rolleyes:

And they don't have a bad record in appointing them either. ;)

His record since 2011:
    2014 - 6 Nations winner
    2015 - 6 Nations winner

He is clearly all that!

Yeah but he's no Munster connection.

And they don't have a bad record in appointing them either. ;)

just showing you his stock hasnt fallen outside of this country after the RWC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Zzippy wrote: »
    So many things wrong with that team. Zebo ahead of Kearney/Henshaw - LOL
    Reddan ahead of Murray - LMAO
    Ruddock in the row - jesus!
    Marshall also behind Henshaw, Fitz and Payne if he's fit in the Ireland reckoning

my selection is based on murray, henshaw and payne being injured.
    fitz is in my team, on the wing.
    I selected ruddock at lock, not in the row. "roll eyes and other obnoxious nonsense" smilies.

my selection is based on murray, henshaw and payne being injured.
    fitz is in my team, on the wing.
    I selected ruddock at lock, not in the row. "roll eyes and other obnoxious nonsense" smilies.

Well it's already been mentioned umpteen times, but Henshaw will be back well before the start of the 6 nations. There are pictures of him up on twitter today training.

Also, btw, lock and "in the row"(as in second row) are the same thing. I don't even know if Ruddock has ever played there before but if he has I'd imagine it was a long time ago at underage level. He's a back row, so selecting at second row out of nowhere just seems a bit mental.

EDIT: Why would you assume Murray would be injured? He's out at the minute but it's nothing long term that I know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Man the initiations into the Irish squad for foreigners must be harsh ;)

https://twitter.com/Inphosports/status/684783034441314306

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well it's already been mentioned umpteen times, but Henshaw will be back well before the start of the 6 nations. There are pictures of him up on twitter today training.

Also, btw, lock and "in the row"(as in second row) are the same thing. I don't even know if Ruddock has ever played there before but if he has I'd imagine it was a long time ago at underage level. He's a back row, so selecting at second row out of nowhere just seems a bit mental.

hey zzippy, I have never heard of lock and in the row being the same thing. links please.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Ruddock isn't a lock and that's what he is getting at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depends on how it goes. For the pressure on Schmidt.

If he were to have a poor 6N like EOS did in 08 and then lost all 3 tests in SA he's going to be under absolutely huge pressure.

We only had 1 bad loss in that 6N tournament which was in the last game away to England (33-10) and two narrow losses to France away (by 26-21) and Wales at home (12-16).

As it is not everyone is in love with him for the amount of Leinster players he picks and also the style of play. It's not unforeseeable for the fans to turn on him, sure on player selection alone there's people against him already. Not many on this site but you do see it.

gamma001 wrote: »
    Ruddock isn't a lock and that's what he is getting at.

mccarthy and ryan currently are not playing like locks either, thats what i am getting at.

hey zzippy, I have never heard of lock and in the row being the same thing. links please.

I'm not Zzippy. Go to google and type "rugby the row" into the search box, all the top results will be about second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yea, I said a few posts back that his stock is a lot higher in the NH than it is in the SH. He still has to prove himself down there IMO.

Even if they are interested though swiwi, would there be an expectation he come back to the S15 before going straight into the ABs? Or going in as an assistant first?

He would have to head coach a Super rugby team for a year or 2 or a few years as an AB assistant before they'd look at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mccarthy and ryan currently are not playing like locks either, thats what i am getting at.

What are they playing like? Wingers? I don't get that comment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Locks playing "in the row" has been in use since I was playing youths rugby, IE a very long time, that was the last time it was deemed acceptable for me to fill in there!

It's common parlance.

Lock = in the row

"The Lockinator" = loosehead lock
    "The Lockinatron" = tighthead lock

"A McLock" = a very bad lock

Common parlance dookoo :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The hysteria of winning?

The idea of Schmidt being under pressure after the ****show of a team we fielded for so bloody long under the last coach is hysterical.

christ, is there only one person posting as multiple posters here.
    Get your coat and bring andy farrell with you.

• Advertisement

Bit of an overreaction. I don't think anybody is suggesting NZ are hunting Schmidt, just that Schmidt may have aspirations for the NZ job and if he does he may have to do a stint in the S15 to be in with a shout.

His record since 2011:
    2014 - 6 Nations winner
    2015 - 6 Nations winner

He is clearly all that!

Look, I'm not having a go at Schmidt, he is clearly a very good coach. But from a NZ perspective, the NZRU currently have a policy in place of appointing a head coach who has coached at senior level in NZ in the 12 months preceding his (or her) appointment. Schmidt is currently ineligible to coach as head coach. On the other hand, the head coach can appoint whoever he wants. This policy is an attempt to keep the traditional coaching career pathway in vogue. You could argue it's a failure, given NZ coaches rule the reign over Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Georgia, Canada, USA, Japan & Samoa off the top of my head.

I really don't think Pro12 titles or European Rugby titles come much into the equation. Joe Schmidt has 2 European titles, Dave Rennie has 2 Super XV titles.

If the NZRFU were to break their own rule to appoint Schmidt directly (thus annoying a hell of a lot of NZ's other coaches), he would need a compelling argument. I'm not talking 2 6N titles won on points difference, with defeats to England and Wales, and a 1/4 final appearance at the RWC.

A series victory in SA, victory over NZ (especially if away from Dublin), or especially a Lions tour series triumph might get the NZRFU to change their policy.

It is my opinion that if you scrutinise the 6N triumps closely, while highly meritorious, they were not completely dominant championships. Aside the aforementioned losses, it can be easily argued that neither England and especially France have been at their strongest recently, a lucky forward pass salvaged victory in the decider against France and an Italian intercept kept the English points difference down for example in 2014.

I honestly think 2016 will define Schmidt's tenure, he has a massive task ahead of him.

christ, is there only one person posting as multiple posters here.
    Get your coat and bring andy farrell with you.

What a bizarre series of posts.

It is my opinion that if you scrutinise the 6N triumps closely, while highly meritorious, they were not completely dominant championships. Aside the aforementioned losses, it can be easily argued that neither England and especially France have been at their strongest recently, a lucky forward pass salvaged victory in the decider against France and an Italian intercept kept the English points difference down for example in 2014.

I honestly think 2016 will define Schmidt's tenure, he has a massive task ahead of him.

I have cut out the stuff on how Schmidt is rated down south because quite frankly I don't care.

On the remaining part, I think what you've said is fair enough. Winning a 6N is quite difficult but it has been two wins on points difference.

I think 2016 will be tough but I'm fairly positive on our outlook over the next number of years. I think there's a fairly talented bunch of players emerging now who have yet to get involved in international rugby, talking the likes of McCloskey, JOD, Ringrose, Olding, VdF. Probably some others. We're weak in the second row still but I think we're set up well enough for the next few seasons.

One thing I will say is Schmidt has come in for a fair bit of criticism (and let's call a spade a spade, mostly from Munster) in winning back to back 6Ns so I'm sure the knives will be out in force if we fail to achieve the never done before feat of three in a row.

I have cut out the stuff on hour Schmidt is rated down south because quite frankly I don't care.

On the remaining part, I think what you've said is fair enough. Winning a 6N is quite difficult but it has been two wins on points difference.

I think 2016 will be tough but I'm fairly positive on our outlook over the next number of years. I think there's a fairly talented bunch of players emerging now who have yet to get involved in international rugby, talking the likes of McCloskey, JOD, Ringrose, Olding, VdF. Probably some others. We're weak in the second row still but I think we're set up well enough for the next few seasons.

An honest man (or should I say person, shouldn't assume you have a Y chromosome I suppose...), I like it.

Yip, agree with your assessment. I hope my compatriot chooses wisely in the backline, there are some very promising players alright.

What a bizarre series of posts.

Am I you too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement