Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

swiwi_ wrote: »
    An honest man (or should I say person, shouldn't assume you have a Y chromosome I suppose...), I like it.

Yip, agree with your assessment. I hope my compatriot chooses wisely in the backline, there are some very promising players alright.

Yes, he needs to make some changes there and he also needs to get them to play ball in hand a bit more too. Henshaw running off McCloskey could do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Locks playing "in the row" has been in use since I was playing youths rugby, IE a very long time, that was the last time it was deemed acceptable for me to fill in there!

It's a very Irish saying. Never heard it till I moved here. The first time I heard it I thought the person had said front row and we were talking about locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It's a very Irish saying. Never heard it till I moved here. The first time I heard it I thought the person had said front row and we were talking about locks.

I know what you mean, its a very Irish saying in that its never been said before being posted here by zzippy. I needed a laugh, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

This thread is comedy gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The main concerns for me about Farrell is when we play England, in a game where there’s a strong likelihood his son will be starting at 10 for the opposition.

How can he be involved in any conversation to catapult Sean O’Brien down the English 10 channel to mince whatever stands before him?

How can he be involved in digging up any mental or physical weakness about the English 10, that we might exploit come game day?

Or suppose Ireland play England in a grand slam decider. In the team hotel the night before, Owen's nerves are getting the better of him, as his international career and place in English rugby history rides in the balance. He calls the one man he has always trusted for advice, his father. What will that conversation sound like?

I'll add, by all accounts Andy put his son ahead of his country by advocating his place in the team ahead of the superior George Ford. How can we trust that he will put a different country ahead of his son?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

At least we know Owen Farrel will be our starting 10 in February. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I honestly think 2016 will define Schmidt's tenure, he has a massive task ahead of him.

I really don't agree with that. Whatever about outside opinion of him, we in Ireland have historically been rubbish at winning 6N. EOS was what, 0/7 and Kidney 1/6? Schmidt is 2/2 coming off one of our worst ever 6N performances. Nothing he does short of a whitewash season in 2016 will define his tenure in a poor way for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really don't agree with that. Whatever about outside opinion of him, we in Ireland have historically been rubbish at winning 6N. EOS was what, 0/7 and Kidney 1/6? Schmidt is 2/2 coming off one of our worst ever 6N performances. Nothing he does short of a whitewash season in 2016 will define his tenure in a poor way for me.

Yeah, I can buy that. The history books will forever show back to back 6N titles in his first 2 seasons in charge.

I suppose I should add this season might define his tenure for outside observers. But maybe no-one cares!

NB: Best for me as captain. Seems like he fits the bill, and he is likely to be accepted by fans from all 4 provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

christ, is there only one person posting as multiple posters here.
    Get your coat and bring andy farrell with you.
    I know what you mean, its a very Irish saying in that its never been said before being posted here by zzippy. I needed a laugh, thanks

WTF? Do you seriously think I'm the only one saying it, and I'm also posting as Bazzo, awec, irishbucsfan and the others who agreed?
    Why don't you have a read of the charter there, as you're new, and we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah, I can buy that. The history books will forever show back to back 6N titles in his first 2 seasons in charge.

I suppose I should add this season might define his tenure for outside observers. But maybe no-one cares!

NB: Best for me as captain. Seems like he fits the bill, and he is likely to be accepted by fans from all 4 provinces.

That is actually really solid reasoning for Best as captain instead of Heaslip. When they're both on the field the actual designation of "captain" is pretty meaningless, but god knows the drama that will accompany anything and everything Heaslip does if he was given the role, not just on here but apparently in the press if some of the stuff said about him recently is anything to go by, while Best seems like one of the most universally popular players in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm not sure what to think of Farrell's appointment, I don't think any of us can say it is a bad appointment, yes most of us probably think of the French game last year but apart from that I think the English defence has usually been pretty good. I haven't made my mind up, we'll find out next season.

However one thing I'm not worried about at all is Andy Farrell doing anything but his professional best when it comes to playing against England and his son. Farrell is clearly an ambitious coach so he will do his level best (as you'd expect as a minimum) for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Podge_irl wrote: »

I would agree with that. He has a tough task ahead of him to make it 3 out of 3. The odds are stacked against that. But he for me has already done very well over his first few years in charge and I hope he is around long enough to get a second crack at the World Cup with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

bilston wrote: »
    However one thing I'm not worried about at all is Andy Farrell doing anything but his professional best when it comes to playing against England and his son. Farrell is clearly an ambitious coach so he will do his level best (as you'd expect as a minimum) for Ireland.

Would an ambitious coach advocate the inferior of two 10s start for his employer?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Would an ambitious coach advocate the inferior of two 10s start for his employer?

More plausible that he doesn't think he's inferior - at least not for the intended game plan. It's not like we're talking About picking him over carter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The main concerns for me about Farrell is when we play England, in a game where there’s a strong likelihood his son will be starting at 10 for the opposition.

He's a professional coach, I doubt who ever is wearing the 10 jersey for England will come into the equation at all. Plus Farrell is the defense coach, he won't be sending SOB anywhere in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know Argentina made fools out of us, but I would have thought that our defence is one of our strongest areas generally. We don't concede many tries. Obviously if you think that the Argentina thing wasn't a blip, then fair enough, but England equally were exposed by Australia.

Some aspects of defence are OK for us, and while we have improved, our kick-chase aspect still needs development to enable us deploy it with greater frequency. Farrell is strong on this aspect and will complement Joe's philosophy on kicking as the key offensive and defensive weapon.
    A synergistic appointment, and, in the back pocket, an insurance that should Joe scarper, we have a coach who can maintain this consistent development programme for us.
    Well played IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Blackclaret

Don't know if you've seen any Sarries games of late ,but he is a very good footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I have cut out the stuff on how Schmidt is rated down south because quite frankly I don't care.

On the remaining part, I think what you've said is fair enough. Winning a 6N is quite difficult but it has been two wins on points difference.

I think 2016 will be tough but I'm fairly positive on our outlook over the next number of years. I think there's a fairly talented bunch of players emerging now who have yet to get involved in international rugby, talking the likes of McCloskey, JOD, Ringrose, Olding, VdF. Probably some others. We're weak in the second row still but I think we're set up well enough for the next few seasons.

One thing I will say is Schmidt has come in for a fair bit of criticism (and let's call a spade a spade, mostly from Munster) in winning back to back 6Ns so I'm sure the knives will be out in force if we fail to achieve the never done before feat of three in a row.

Rubbish. It's the style of play, nothing over the worst we saw from his predecssor.

Similarly to Van Gaal at Man Utd, if you play an ugly game you better get results. Schmidt has sneaked 2 very weak championships on points differential. This was the bonus, but he had a shocking world cup. He needs to change style or keep winning. Given that Eng and Fr are unlikely to be as poor again, I'd advise changing style.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Rubbish. It's the style of play, nothing over the worst we saw from his predecssor.

Similarly to Van Gaal at Man Utd, if you play an ugly game you better get results. Schmidt has sneaked 2 very weak championships on points differential. This was the bonus, but he had a shocking world cup. He needs to change style or keep winning. Given that Eng and Fr are unlikely to be as poor again, I'd advise changing style.

He equalled our best ever World Cup result. Wildly disappointing yes but hardly shocking.

You can prevaricate all you want. He won back to back championships and that's not exactly a regular occurrence for anyone, let alone Irish teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

:rolleyes::pac::pac: Comical absolutely comical, yes indeed winning 4 out of 5 games in each championship and narrowly losing 2 games was just a matter of pure luck, very poor coach indeed. Oh yes and topping our group and getting as far as any other coach has in a world cup, totally shocking coaching. Maybe just maybe, I don't know, but it could be that because he has done so well, he raised our expectations to the the level that only getting as far as a QF again is now considered shocking. Where as for certain other coaches it was considered more than adequate. We didn't have a shocking world cup, we had a very poor showing against Argentina, stop rewriting history to suit your bias.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    This thread is comedy gold!
    Hitting a rich vein alright !

hftp://www.goldprospectingonline.com/gold-prospecting-tips/gold-facts/largest-gold-nugget-ever-found/:
    Zebo's .... passing range is unmatched by any other outside back in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I don't say this lightly as a Munster fan, but the Leinster team under JS will go down in my book as probably the best team I've had the pleasure of watching.
    I personally think Leinster on top of their game would have beaten the all blacks and pretty much any other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

I don't say this lightly as a Munster fan, but the Leinster team under JS will go down in my book as probably the best team I've had the pleasure of watching.
    I personally think Leinster on top of their game would have beaten the all blacks and pretty much any other team.

It was a joy to watch that Leinster team play for sure.

Zzippy wrote: »
    WTF? Do you seriously think I'm the only one saying it, and I'm also posting as Bazzo, awec, irishbucsfan and the others who agreed?
    Why don't you have a read of the charter there, as you're new, and we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have just read the charter and 'in the row' is not mentioned anywhere that I can see.
    But maybe it is a regional used term, Cork or something, so I will accept it is widely used term in certain parts of rural Ireland.

I have just read the charter and 'in the row' is not mentioned anywhere that I can see.
    But maybe it is a regional used term, Cork or something, so I will accept it is widely used term in certain parts of rural Ireland.

It was 'the engine room' in my day.
    Where being three rows, 'in the row' is just so open to confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He himself said he heard it before. I've heard it plenty as well.

Comedy gold indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not quite rural no.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=%22in+the+row%22&forum=388&user=&date_from=&date_to=

^ Enjoy. It's a pretty widely used term as you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Please read the charter again, specifically the section about "Don't be a dick"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Common enough phrase in the game. 2nd rows = in the row.

Also commonly called lock forwards.

Back row = flankers blind and openside. Also loose forwards.

You're a living breathing example. Just look at this very nonsense you've posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Common enough phrase in the game. 2nd rows = in the row.

Also commonly called lock forwards.

Back row = flankers blind and openside. Also loose forwards, wing forwards, loosies.

Front row = fatties

Added info.

mfceiling wrote: »
    flankers...openside. Also loose forwards.

But with sub variants, eg :
    - 'tearaway wingforward'
    - 'out-and-out wingforward'

It is hard to keep up with all the terms with associated subleties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is there actually an argument going on about whether 'in the row' is a real term?

It is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can Simon Zebo play in the row?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think that was the position Toulouse were looking to sign him at :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

My senior coach in school was from Australia and called the front row the 'Piggies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jesus, don't start or someone will be along to claim that not only can he play it but should be starting for Ireland there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

salmocab wrote: »
    Jesus, don't start or someone will be along to claim that not only can he play it but should be starting for Ireland there.

He's never been given a fair chance to prove he can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

He's never been given a fair chance to prove he can!

well Ross and Healy are injured currently. JS needs to add some depth in all positions for the RWC 2019.

Ringrose potentially could be the next Zebo, but unfortunately if he wishes to play under schmidt it would be better if he was the new Davy K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

While struggling to think of many in the Irish setup who he is similar too, Ringrose strikes me as closer to Jared Payne than anybody else in the squad. Perhaps Earls at a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bridge93 wrote: »
    While struggling to think of many in the Irish setup who he is similar too, Ringrose strikes me as closer to Jared Payne than anybody else in the squad. Perhaps Earls at a stretch

Reminds me of Bowe a bit, Conrad Smith is the best comparison though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

No but he's an excellent winger and should really have started the QF in the recent RWC.

phog wrote: »
    No but he's an excellent winger and should really have started the QF in the recent RWC.

Well actually it's probably more fair to say that Luke Fitz should have started, but there you go.....

Ringrose potentially could be the next Zebo, but unfortunately if he wishes to play under schmidt it would be better if he was the new Davy K.

Pathetic post. Zebo started 4 of the 5 6Ns games in 2015 and DK didn't get a second of game time. So not only is this pathetic but it's also provably total and utter rubbish.

Not that I'm at all surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Does Fitzgerald have the physicality to play 12 internationally? Even against Munster's turgid attack he missed 5 tackles.
    I wouldn't be his biggest fan but he's usually a sound defender.
    A bit of leprosy wouldn't be a bad quality to have in a centre.
    ...but a bad thing in a proctologist doing a prostate exam.
    its_phil wrote: »
    Not dissing Kiss either, he built the system around Payne and when he was missing our D was exposed. Great coach and Ulster are a lucky team.
    Kiss is also lucky given that he has inherited a team with a lot of good young players such as McCall, Warwick, Herring, O'Connor, Henderson, Jackson, McCloskey, Olding, Scholes, Arnold, Gilroy, Nelson. Even Luke Marshall is still young. He will however need to ride out the approaching storm that will inevitably arise from the fact that there isn't a decent young tight head, back row player, scrum half or back up 10 (other than Nelson, Olding or Marshall) and as usual, as it's forwards who win games it could mean very lean pickings for Les. With Henry not at his best after his heart surgery, Sergeant Wilson on patrol with dad's Army, Williams leaving, that leaves Diack who has at least been impersonating a decent rugby player recently.
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    True that's why I didn't rule it out and if one of the NZ teams comes up it's even more likely obviously. But still would be surprised enough, his family is here six years now is it, they must be quite settled so I kind of expect him to be around until 2019, who knows though, that's an awful long time in rugby.

Isn't one of his children in need of specialist medical cover. I'm sure it is top notch in N.Z. but it certainly is pretty good in Europe. Also, are any of his children in 3rd level education?
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Pathetic post. Zebo started 4 of the 5 6Ns games in 2015 and DK didn't get a second of game time. So not only is this pathetic but it's also provably total and utter rubbish.

I predict a short career there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well actually it's probably more fair to say that Luke Fitz should have started, but there you go.....

I might have accepted that selection but Zebo was the form player leading into that game. But one thing for sure Dave was the wrong selection.

Just Like the recent world cup not a sign of average Dave, well the argies did not see him either.
    To borrow an old Irish rugby term he must have been hiding in the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This might explain why:
    Dave Kearney and Eoin Reddan are likely to miss the start of Ireland's Six Nations title defence after suffering injuries as Leinster squeaked through to the Champions Cup quarter-finals at Wasps.

Wasps rallied for a 20-20 draw with 14 points in the final quarter and now their hopes of reaching the last eight rest on results elsewhere across the weekend.

Wing Kearney picked up a "significant" shoulder problem after being upended while in mid-air by Wasps flanker Ashley Johnson, who received a yellow card for the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »

Isn't one of his children in need of specialist medical cover. I'm sure it is top notch in N.Z. but it certainly is pretty good in Europe. Also, are any of his children in 3rd level education?

I seem to remember them travelling to Australia to get treatment for his son.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement