Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've read page after page of this crap whilst trying to garner information about the Ireland Rugby team.
    I have to ask jm08 just one question if I may

Did a certain Mr. Heaslip reverse his car over your dog and drive away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

OldRio wrote: »
    I've read page after page of this crap whilst trying to garner information about the Ireland Rugby team.

No. The answer to the correct question is.."Three quid short of a pop up toaster."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

jacothelad wrote: »
    No. The answer to the correct question is.."Three quid short of a pop up toaster."

Doff my cap Sir. Doff my cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

OldRio wrote: »

No he didn't. Neither did he discover the cure for cancer.

jm08 wrote: »

Which he really should sort out, considering his team mate Dave Kearney invented Cancer right after he cost us the grand slam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Which he really should sort out, considering his team mate Dave Kearney invented Cancer right after he cost us the grand slam.

I'd give him a bit of space tbh, it must not be very nice to have lost the Leinster captaincy from his old mate Leo and all this ABH commentary having captained Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There isn't a post that sums up the last hundred million pages of this thread better than this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

He is way too busy reading this page .......
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why are so many people entertaining this? We know not to expect more from the 2 usual suspects so why are so many people intent on giving them the attention? It's killing this thread. Please stop. Pretty, pretty please. PPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Apparently Andy Farrell has now adopted Jaime Heaslip just so people can dislike Heaslip even more when he is selected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has Simon Zebo ever been given a fair chance to cure cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Out of all the outside backs in Ireland Simon Zebo can throw test tubes the furthest.

Has Simon Zebo ever been given a fair chance to cure cancer?

time hasnt been fair to zebo. He never had the chance to invent sliced bread, electricity, the light bulb, the telephone or an airplane. :p

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This thread is a total disaster right now. Closing for a bit.

Reopening this.

No more of the provincial nonsense, no more nonsense about what Zebo can or cannot do, or Heaslip can or cannot do. No more insane discussions about irish players of years ago.

Play nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I, for one, always thought Ollie Campbell was the superior outhalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Word in Mary's is that they are sticking with Dean at oh and want Ward to play centre. He isnt happy apparantly and talking of leaving.

Well without wishing to stir it up again DK genuinely did have a fine game tonight. With Trimble and Earls both in action on the wing tomorrow it'll be interesting to see who stands out this weekend. With Bowe out both jerseys are up for grabs and if we can get a few lads playing well and pushing each other that would be a huge positive coming into the 6Ns.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well without wishing to stir it up again DK genuinely did have a fine game tonight. With Trimble and Earls both in action on the wing tomorrow it'll be interesting to see who stands out this weekend. With Bowe out both jerseys are up for grabs and if we can get a few lads playing well and pushing each other that would be a huge positive coming into the 6Ns.

I know technically it's a good thing but a little bit of me almost hopes that someone will play themselves out of contention and we might get to see a new face in or around the squad for the 6 Nations.
    I doubt it though. It'll still be some combination of Trimble/Kearney/Fitzgerald/Zebo/Earls. Even if one of them was to be ruled out I doubt anyone else would get a look in.

Well without wishing to stir it up again DK genuinely did have a fine game tonight.

He took his two tries well. And not to take from the importance of that at all, did he play well beyond that ?

He may well deserve his place - you only have to be better than your competitors for the position - but he would still leave me feeling that he is below the standard we aspire to (and lower than the level we would more often than not have) for international level rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He took his two tries well. And not to take from the importance of that at all, did he play well beyond that ?

He may well deserve his place - you only have to be better than your competitors for the position - but he would still leave me feeling that he is below the standard we aspire to (and lower than the level we would more often than not have) for international level rugby.

Yeah, tries aside he had a really tidy game. Chased all day and was very effective in rucks and constantly made yards on inside balls. A good day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yes. In brutal conditions he had a very tidy match. He chased kicks very well. Made all of his tackles. Was well positioned and fielded without error when opposition kicked (this is a really overlooked area where Leinster were way ahead of the Ospreys tonight).

Throw in how well he took his two tries, neither of which were easy scores, and he had an excellent night.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, tries aside he had a really tidy game. Chased all day and was very effective in rucks and constantly made yards on inside balls. A good day at the office.

Yes good day at the office. But that's just it, do we not look for more than 'tidy' from the best wing we have to stock our international team ?
    I understand the reluctance for majority endorsement of him.

Is the bottom line, and the source of the heated debate on the topic, really that we are well stocked with 5-7 winger, generally much of a muchness, yet all below the level we look for, and even of many of their colleagues in other positions ?

He did everything that was asked to him to a high standard in crap conditions. Chased kicks well, joined the line in-field in a few set plays (one of which led to a try). It wasn't the conditions for classic wing play. For both his scores he timed his run perfectly as well as showed good pace and strength.

I've said before that he wouldn't be in my first choice 23, but why can't he improve from where we generally rate him? He's not an electric winger, but he's smart, strong in contact, is elusive enough, is good in the air etc. He's also a strong tackler as well. I'd say he's a coaches player. He might not create a massive amount in unstructured play but you can give him a job to do and he'll do it well.

If Trimble keeps up his current form and if Earls can find the form on the wing we know he's capable of I'd still take both over Dave, but I think we're all a little guilty of boxing the guy into a particular category and not considering the possibility that he might actually get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I know technically it's a good thing but a little bit of me almost hopes that someone will play themselves out of contention and we might get to see a new face in or around the squad for the 6 Nations.
    I doubt it though. It'll still be some combination of Trimble/Kearney/Fitzgerald/Zebo/Earls. Even if one of them was to be ruled out I doubt anyone else would get a look in.

This seems to be an extremely popular opinion but what is the point of new faces for the sake of new faces? None of the players you named bar maybe Trimble could be described as old or even close to it, in fact they're all in or close to their athletic "prime", if they're our best players in those positions, they should be the ones who are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yes good day at the office. But that's just it, do we not look for more than 'tidy' from the best wing we have to stock our international team ?
    I understand the reluctance for majority endorsement of him.

Is the bottom line, and the source of the heated debate on the topic, really that we are well stocked with 5-7 winger, generally much of a muchness, yet all below the level we look for, and even of many of their colleagues in other positions ?

I don't get it. I'm not of a strong opinion one way or the other about him but what are you criticising about his performance tonight? What did he not do that you would like to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tox56 wrote: »
    This seems to be an extremely popular opinion but what is the point of new faces for the sake of new faces? None of the players you named bar maybe Trimble could be described as old or even close to it, in fact they're all in or close to their athletic "prime", if they're our best players in those positions, they should be the ones who are playing.

Totally agree, but I'd also like to see some new faces brought into the training camp, maybe the likes of Scholes from Ulster and Healy at Connacht, and maybe in a year or two the new faces will be pushing the established cabal of wingers. Having them training with the squad and learning the systems will only bring them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

For me, my backline "depth chart" is:

9: Murray, Reddan, Marmion/McGrath
    10: Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    11: Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo, DK/Gilroy
    12: Henshaw, Fitzgerald, McCloskey
    13: Payne, Henshaw, Cave, Ringrose
    14: Trimble, Earls, Bowe
    15: RK, Zebo, O'Halloran
    23: Fitzgerald, Zebo, DK/Gilroy

Not sure who I'd have out of DK or Gilroy. I like them both a lot for different reasons, I think it would depend on the opposition and conditions.

For me, my backline "depth chart" is:

9: Murray, Reddan, Marmion/McGrath
    10: Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    11: Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo, DK/Gilroy
    12: Henshaw, Fitzgerald, McCloskey
    13: Payne, Henshaw, Cave, Ringrose
    14: Trimble, Earls, Bowe
    15: RK, Zebo, O'Halloran
    23: Fitzgerald, Zebo, DK/Gilroy

Not sure who I'd have out of DK or Gilroy. I like them both a lot for different reasons, I think it would depend on the opposition and conditions.

I'd add Luke Marshall into the centre mix. He has been in great form and looks back to his best. He really can play both 12 and 13. I'm happy to see you haven't yet added Ringrose in. He does look the biz but the love fest from some quarters is awful.

• Advertisement

He did everything that was asked to him to a high standard in crap conditions. Chased kicks well, joined the line in-field in a few set plays (one of which led to a try). It wasn't the conditions for classic wing play. For both his scores he timed his run perfectly as well as showed good pace and strength.

I've said before that he wouldn't be in my first choice 23, but why can't he improve from where we generally rate him? He's not an electric winger, but he's smart, strong in contact, is elusive enough, is good in the air etc. He's also a strong tackler as well. I'd say he's a coaches player. He might not create a massive amount in unstructured play but you can give him a job to do and he'll do it well.

If Trimble keeps up his current form and if Earls can find the form on the wing we know he's capable of I'd still take both over Dave, but I think we're all a little guilty of boxing the guy into a particular category and not considering the possibility that he might actually get better.

the only thing you might criticise him for was his kick near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd add Luke Marshall into the centre mix. He has been in great form and looks back to his best. He really can play both 12 and 13. I'm happy to see you haven't yet added Ringrose in. He does look the biz but the love fest from some quarters is awful.

I have put him at the bottom of the 13 list, but you're right I did forget Marshall.

I would have Marshall ahead of Ringrose at the moment (although Ringrose certainly should be in the squad because if he's as good as he looks then we should get him up to speed).

I have put him at the bottom of the 13 list, but you're right I did forget Marshall.

I would have Marshall ahead of Ringrose at the moment (although Ringrose certainly should be in the squad because if he's as good as he looks then we should get him up to speed).

Puts on specs...sees Ringrose.

As an aside, I wonder how Farrell is getting on in France. He bailed out on Ulster too quickly I think. He and McCloskey as a pairing would be fearsome physically. Does McCloskey remind anyone of Jauzion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ringrose will be 21 this Six Nations, we've had numerous players involved with the national squad in recent years as young or younger than him, its not like we're talking about a 18 year old staight out of school here, hes played well and at least deserves to be in the squad conversation

Tox56 wrote: »

Well, for me most of our wingers are fine but nothing special. Granted you can argue that Schmidt has the team plating a certain way and it's not the kind of rugby that lets a winger shine. I just felt that after the WC our backs were what needed shaking up a bit. Purely out of interest I'd like to see McCloskey and Henshaw in the centre and Gilroy on the wing. To be fair to the regular guys they are the best options we have, on the wings anyway.

I know full well that realistically, from the few potential names, McCloskey is the only one that might get any kind of game time this 6 Nations and even then it's a slim chance. And I also know full well that there's no point in bringing in new players just for the sake of it so I don't expect it to happen.

Ringrose certainly looks to have all the talents needed and I'm all for getting the best players on the field, irrespective of age but a bit more experience is needed. I've seen guys look just as talented over the years only to fall away. Niall Malone being a perfect example.
    Remember this guy?

When Ringrose is doing that sort of stuff he'll be undroppable for Ireland...Not Gilroy though....:D

However, he's getting a lot of OTT splurge because he stepped beautifully past a static forward and made a good break and pass. I hope he is as talented as BOD - or even more so as I believe he is a high quality goal kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Craig Gilroy is not picked for Ireland for the same reasons he won't be picked for Ulster when Bowe comes back: he is a great attacking player but with fundamental flaws in his game.

Craig Gilroy is not picked for Ireland for the same reasons he won't be picked for Ulster when Bowe comes back: he is a great attacking player but with fundamental flaws in his game.

Which are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Remember this guy?

The Tony Yeboah of Irish rugby :pac:

Which are?

Gilroy is all about attack, he wouldn't be the strongest defensively.

Scores too many tries. :)

awec wrote: »

Dave better watch himself after tonight as well! :)

• Advertisement

Maybe this 6 Nations is too soon but surely working under Kiss full time now will improve that aspect of his game?

Dave better watch himself after tonight as well! :)

Wouldn't panic, Gilroy scored more tries last season than Dave has in the past 4 added together.

Maybe this 6 Nations is too soon but surely working under Kiss full time now will improve that aspect of his game?

Doubt it, doesn't seem to be in the plans.

Trimble, Earls, Zebo and Fitzgerald would all be ahead of him, it would take a good few injuries for him to be involved.

His kicking game also isn't amazing which doesn't really fit in with Ireland's style.

Doubt it, doesn't seem to be in the plans.

Trimble, Earls, Zebo and Fitzgerald would all be ahead of him, it would take a good few injuries for him to be involved.

His kicking game also isn't amazing which doesn't really fit in with Ireland's style.

Shame. He's exciting to watch but I get that he doesn't fit into the Schmidt style of play. Not a criticism of Schmidt, just to be clear, results are what matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Can someone pleased tell me is the New Zealand game in Chicago officially confirmed?

I looked on the IRFU website but it only mentions the three November tests taking place in Dublin. I keen to attend this test in Chicago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ringrose certainly looks to have all the talents needed and I'm all for getting the best players on the field, irrespective of age but a bit more experience is needed. I've seen guys look just as talented over the years only to fall away. Niall Malone being a perfect example.
    Remember this guy?

When Ringrose is doing that sort of stuff he'll be undroppable for Ireland...Not Gilroy though....:D

However, he's getting a lot of OTT splurge because he stepped beautifully past a static forward and made a good break and pass. I hope he is as talented as BOD - or even more so as I believe he is a high quality goal kicker.

I'd get Ringrose into the training squad.

In terms of young players it's not Gilroy I'd be comparing Ringrose to, it's Stuart Olding. Olding has been tearing teams apart for fun from centre as well and arguably more so than Ringrose from a similarly young age. To be fair Olding has 2 Ireland caps and would definitely have had more but for injury. So basically Olding got into Ireland squads at the age of 20/21 so no reason Ringrose can't.

The problem for Ringrose at the moment is that there is a 6Ns and a tour of SA in the immediate future and for that reason he may find it hars to get a cap before November...the same might apply to McCloskey to be fair...although his physicality may stand to him against the Boks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jauzion has a lot more to him and I say that as a fan of McCloskey. Don't think we'll see McCloskey starting at 10 any time soon which Jauzion did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You can talk about wingers being average or played out of position or not having a good enough work rate but I genuinely believe not another irish winger would have scored that try against the scarlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can someone pleased tell me is the New Zealand game in Chicago officially confirmed?

I looked on the IRFU website but it only mentions the three November tests taking place in Dublin. I keen to attend this test in Chicago.

Don't think it's confirmed. If it was it would be on the IRFU website. It has only been speculated in the media so far.

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/brian-odriscoll-further-explains-why-andy-farrell-is-a-good-appointment/321023

very positive stuff from BOD on the Farrell appointment. From a guy who worked with him on the lions tour in 2013. I just hope Farrell isnt represented by Ikon :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement