Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

I'd certainly be for moving on from Ross in this 6N. I don't believe he's better than either Moore or Furlong to me. Furlong looks ready for the step up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

stephen_n wrote: »
    If you notice the post I'm replying to is two pages back, I only saw your more recent replies after I had posted. Trimble for my money should be ahead of Kearney as he's a better winger but in terms of form DK is currently probably the most in form of our wingers. Given that there's a strong chance Luke may start at 12 in the absence of Henshaw against Wales, as McCloskey has had pretty much no exposure to Joe or Ireland's systems. On past selections it's unlikely McCloskey will start. This means the three wingers in the shake up are Earls, Trimble and Kearney, Zebos form should have him out of contention. It's a strong possibility out of those three Earls will bench due to far greater versatility. This would mean DK starts. Even if Earls starts DK will bench, so there is no reason to assume DK shouldn't be in the 23 or even starting. Given injuries and form at this time!

Not only has McCloskey been around Joe before, a quick Google will bring up a quote from Joe saying he fitted into the systems very well.

He could start Fitz at 12. And there's a million ways to justify any decision. But I'll be honest, the word that's suggested by that selection - imho - would be "stagnant." If Joe's system is not evolving - If everyone doesn't have homework to do and new stuff to get their heads around- it won't matter who's on the pitch, we'll get our behinds handed to us.

Joe has been gone from Leinster for three years now. I know you're not arguing this - your position is entirely consistent - but the "no exposure to Joe" thing is now as much of a barrier to young Leinster players - Ringrose, Furlong - as anybody else.

Not only has McCloskey been around Joe before, a quick Google will bring up a quote from Joe saying he fitted into the systems very well.

I could only find reference to him being called up for that 24 hour camp

He was definitely in Ireland camps last season, I'm not going to try find a reference to it but I can clearly remember it.

I recall being fairly shocked at his exclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bilston wrote: »
    With regards to McCloskey, I'd say the truth is Schmidt himself doesn't even know if he will pick him for Wales yet. He will wait and see how he fares in training. If he goes well then has every chance of starting, if he takes a while to adapt to Schmidt's thinking he will have to bide his time.

This is spot on. I've said it before, good performances in club games will get them into the training squad. How they perform at training will decide if they get into the match day squad. I hope McCloskey pushes his way into the test side. I'd go him and Payne in the centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

McCloskey has never been in an Irish camp prior to the last one.

People might be thinking of emerging Ireland?

McCloskey has never been in an Irish camp prior to the last one.

People might be thinking of emerging Ireland?

He mightn't have been named in a squad or really considered for selection but I am certain he spent time with the wider squad last season. So did Ringrose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    This is spot on. I've said it before, good performances in club games will get them into the training squad. How they perform at training will decide if they get into the match day squad. I hope McCloskey pushes his way into the test side. I'd go him and Payne in the centres.

Any lingering doubts about Payne and Henshaw's fitness will make any decisions impossible for the time being. Payne played 70 minutes yesterday but it remains to be seen how he recovers after. Henshaw has played 3 games since the WC.
    If they were both fit and playing I'm sure Schmidt would have his starting 15 written down already.

He was being looked at last year. This is from May 2015:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/joe-schmidt-looks-for-advice-as-he-tries-to-decide-world-cup-squad-1.2230668

"...but to get Stuart McCloskey in was really good value and he has slotted in with ease.” Before he was selected for Emerging Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Any lingering doubts about Payne and Henshaw's fitness will make any decisions impossible for the time being. Payne played 70 minutes yesterday but it remains to be seen how he recovers after. Henshaw has played 3 games since the WC.
    If they were both fit and playing I'm sure Schmidt would have his starting 15 written down already.

Henshaw is due another scan on the 26th/27th of this month according to the media release by connacht last week.

Ross, according to Guy Easterby isnt due back until the first week in February which I reckon rules him out of the first game, maybe two.

Payne will play this friday and if he gets through that then I reckon he will be part of the 35 man squad.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Henshaw is due another scan on the 26th/27th of this month according to the media release by connacht.

Payne will play this friday and if he gets through that then I reckon he will be part of the 35 man squad.

Even depending on which one is/isn't fit for the opening game could impact Schmidt's decisions. As far as I'm aware Payne has never played 12? So if Henshaw was to be ruled out for Wales you're looking for someone to play 12 which you'd think puts McCloskey in the front seat.
    If Payne suffers a set back after playing yesterday and Henshaw is available, he can play at 13 but never has at international level so you can leave him at 12 and play someone else at 13 which maybe rules McCloskey out or you could risk moving Henshaw out to 13 and playing someone else at 12.

Point being we can speculate all we like, and I'm sure we will, but until Schmidt has the players in camp and knows who is or isn't fit there's just too many variables to be able to say anything with any certainty. (Other than Earls shouldn't be in the discussion for centre) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

If henshaw isn't fit it's a great opportunity for Stuart, and it'll also mean Payne will have to play even if not 100%

A fully ulster midfield has been a longtime coming tbh.

.ak wrote: »
    If henshaw isn't fit it's a great opportunity for Stuart, and it'll also mean Payne will have to play even if not 100%

A fully ulster midfield has been a longtime coming tbh.

Why stop at midfield? If only Pienaar was Irish.....

Jackson, Gilroy, McCloskey, Marshall, Trimble, Payne.

Paul Marshall ???

Paul Marshall ???

Finally! Some sense being spoken on this board!!

International breakthrough for Clive Ross?

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Paul Marshall ???

Lol, he can buy his Ireland jersey in a shop like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Would be a great 6n back line. With Olding on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

How many roughly will be brought into the training squad?

• Advertisement

35 man squad to be announced sometime this week assembling next Monday at carton house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Props: McGrath, Healy, Kilcoyne,
    Moore, Furlong, Ross, White

Hookers: Best, Strauss, Cronin

Locks: Toner, McCarthy, Ryan, Foley/O'Connor/Muldowney

Backrow: Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip, Ruddock, Henry

SH: Murray, Reddan, Marmion,
    OH : Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    Centre: Mccloskey, Henshaw, Marshall, Payne

Wing: Trimble, Fitz, Earls, DK, Zebo

FB: Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He could start Fitz at 12. And there's a million ways to justify any decision. But I'll be honest, the word that's suggested by that selection - imho - would be "stagnant." If Joe's system is not evolving - If everyone doesn't have homework to do and new stuff to get their heads around- it won't matter who's on the pitch, we'll get our behinds handed to us.

Joe has been gone from Leinster for three years now. I know you're not arguing this - your position is entirely consistent - but the "no exposure to Joe" thing is now as much of a barrier to young Leinster players - Ringrose, Furlong - as anybody else.

Has McCloskey had much time with Irish squads? I was under the impression he has had very limited time with the expanded squads? That could be wrong and he might have more time than I Think. He is exactly the sort of 12 Joe likes and would be a great addition to the team, I'm just thinking going on what we know, experience may win out given its Wales. I honestly couldn't see Ringrose make it anywhere beyond the extended squads but Furlong might, given the greater need.

Has McCloskey had much time with Irish squads? I was under the impression he has had very limited time with the expanded squads? That could be wrong and he might have more time than I Think. He is exactly the sort of 12 Joe likes and would be a great addition to the team, I'm just thinking going on what we know, experience may win out given its Wales. I honestly couldn't see Ringrose make it anywhere beyond the extended squads but Furlong might, given the greater need.

Dunno. He's certainly had more time with the squad than Ringrose, Furlong or Stander. I suppose we'll see.

Dunno. He's certainly had more time with the squad than Ringrose, Furlong or Stander. I suppose we'll see.

Tadhg Furlong? No, he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

No he hasn't...

• Advertisement

No he hasn't...

Yeah, sorry, getting myself confused.

Yeah, sorry, getting myself confused.

Ha ha of course he hasn't - Furlong's capped. Getting my tightheads backwards there...

What ever about Stander Ringrose hasn't got a snowballs, I'd also imagine Ruddock will start ahead of Stander for the very reason of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What ever about Stander Ringrose hasn't got a snowballs, I'd also imagine Ruddock will start ahead of Stander for the very reason of experience.

Yeah sure lmao!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah sure lmao!

https://youtu.be/dljJ1VNWLi4?t=23s

As this 10 second video clip comprehensively proves, Stander shouldnt even be starting for Cork Con let alone Ireland

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Stander against Italy. How soon was it after he became IQ that Payne started to feature?

I'd like to see Stander against Italy. How soon was it after he became IQ that Payne started to feature?

I'd say Stander and McCloskey may start against Italy. Don't think Payne would have started a 6N game against Wales as his first match though. Plus we had very little option at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Tox56 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/dljJ1VNWLi4?t=23s

As this 10 second video clip comprehensively proves, Stander shouldnt even be starting for Cork Con let alone Ireland

Unfortunately, its inadmissible, he scored 2 tries shortly after lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He was definitely in Ireland camps last season, I'm not going to try find a reference to it but I can clearly remember it.

I actually didn't know that. The more time he's had in camp the greater his chances are of selection. I can definitely see him getting capped in the 6Ns if he can deliver in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think Payne played straight away after qualifying. Think it was against SA.

Yeah sure lmao!

I presume that's the above clip is the only time you've seen Ruddock play?

bilston wrote: »
    I think Payne played straight away after qualifying. Think it was against SA.

Yeah I think so. The guy was actively sought out over seas to replace bod. The irfu were counting down the minutes.

It's not the same situation with stander at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Paul Marshall ???

:D:D:D..great for the last 15 minutes when chasing something - otherwise I'd rather have Mike Ross at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I actually think they'll all be treated gently - certainly at first....:D:D:D:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Getting cabin fever from this shyte weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Any ideas when the squad will be announced?

• Advertisement

jack01986 wrote: »
    Any ideas when the squad will be announced?

2.30 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

2.30 pm

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

RTE just said 'within the next half hour' for the announcement, with Rory Best as front runner to be captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I wonder how disappointed are the mods that the ddos attack got sorted before the announcement :D

b.gud wrote: »
    I wonder how disappointed are the mods that the ddos attack got sorted before the announcement :D

:mad:

vienne86 wrote: »
    RTE just said 'within the next half hour' for the announcement, with Rory Best as front runner to be captain.

If one or two rumours I'm hearing are true:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

If one or two rumours I'm hearing are true:

giphy.gif

Best captain being one?
    Any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

kuang1 wrote: »
    Best captain being one?
    Any others?

McCloskey? Stander? There are quite a few potential grenades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ultan Dillane is a shock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement