Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Dear Boards.ie,
    Please don't ever again go AWOL for days, as the net result is inevitable petty spats between posters suffering with the internet version of cabin fever, combined with the doomsdayers posting concentrated (built up) versions of their usual armageddon tripe.
    Yours hopefully,
    Kuang.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nope.

The rational and reasonable interpreation of "not the worst" option is not "the best" option. That's where you're wrong here.

No, the literal interpretation is what you have posted above. If we were all machines it would be the correct interpretation. As we are not all machines it's actually not just ok but also reasonable to go beyond the literal interpretation.

If I were to get pissed off with someone and say "I'm going to kill them" the literal meaning of that is that I am going to end their life. The actual meaning is not that at all. Human beings do that all of the time, i.e. use language in an imprecise manner. Trying to use precision to determine meaning and intent is ultimately hugely flawed. But then you and everyone else here knows that.

Like I said, you'd argue with your shadow so I'm done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest at the very least that BOD would be okay with Ringrose starting, based on that tweet.

You're all over the place!

Yeah, it's just the curse of Twitter. Like, that "could do worse" tweet was sent on Dec 27th, i.e. just after Ringrose had performed so well in Thomond, it's a reaction rather than a considered opinion.

Ideally, we should all be discussing article like Gordon D'Arcy's in the Times the other day, where he actually has the time to think and has more than 140 characters to get across what he means.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gordon-d-arcy-six-nations-a-step-too-far-for-young-guns-1.2502858

And we've found the middle ground. Fair play TF!

wW1dH66.gif?noredirect

And yes, I am all over the place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

kuang1 wrote: »
    Dear Boards.ie,
    Please don't ever again go AWOL for days, as the net result is inevitable petty spats between posters suffering with the internet version of cabin fever, combined with the doomsdayers posting concentrated (built up) versions of their usual armageddon tripe.
    Yours hopefully,
    Kuang.

It also made my bathroom trips in work roughly 10 minutes shorter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Great value in here when JS names Earls to start at 13!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    No, the literal interpretation is what you have posted above. If we were all machines it would be the correct interpretation. As we are not all machines it's actually not just ok but also reasonable to go beyond the literal interpretation.

If I were to get pissed off with someone and say "I'm going to kill them" the literal meaning of that is that I am going to end their life. The actual meaning is not that at all. Human beings do that all of the time, i.e. use language in an imprecise manner. Trying to use precision to determine meaning and intent is ultimately hugely flawed. But then you and everyone else here knows that.

Like I said, you'd argue with your shadow so I'm done.

There's just no way that "could do worse" can only be interpreted as "the best option". It's such a bizarre stance to hold.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest at the very least that BOD would be okay with Ringrose starting, based on that tweet.

Absolutely. That's what he said. He would be OK with him starting.

That doesn't mean he would select him over anyone else. It just means he'd be OK with him starting.

There's just no way that "could do worse" can only be interpreted as "the best option". It's such a bizarre stance to hold.

I'd love to know who said it was the only interpretation. I said it was probably the most reasonable one, but that's a far cry from what you're saying there. Which is actually pretty amusing given that there was no room for interpretation in my point and yet you found some. Yet in the tweet that was open to interpretation you found no room for it.

Absolutely. That's what he said. He would be OK with him starting.

That doesn't mean he would select him over anyone else. It just means he'd be OK with him starting.

Feels like you're still arguing with me even though we're agreeing....

fry.PNG?1307468855

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

BOD really needs to work on curating his online brand. His tweets about Ashton didn't go down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So Payne still at 15 for Ulster and McCloskey rested along with Best.

Could we be looking at McCloskey and Henshaw for the Wales game?

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Payne at 15 again this week for Ulster :)

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd love to know who said it was the only interpretation. I said it was probably the most reasonable one, but that's a far cry from what you're saying there. Which is actually pretty amusing given that there was no room for interpretation in my point and yet you found some. Yet in the tweet that was open to interpretation you found no room for it.

This guy
    However the rational and reasonable interpretation of the tweet is that Drico thinks that Ringrose should start.

bilston wrote: »
    So Payne still at 15 for Ulster and McCloskey rested along with Best.

Does it depend on whether Henshaw plays for Connacht at all between now and then. I know he got the all clear from his injury but he's had very little game time at all this season.

EDIT: just noticed he's in the starting 15 for Connacht this weekend. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think in terms of Ireland all that matters for Payne is game time, not the number on his back. Depending on Henshaw's injury and Payne lasting the full game. We are likely to see Payne start at 13 against Wales with McCloskey/Henshaw/Fitzgerald inside him, depending on injury and how quick McCloskey can get up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My team for Wales:

McGrath, Best, Moore, Ryan, Toner, Stander, SOB, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Earls, McCloskey, Henshaw, Trimble, Payne

Bench: Cronin, Cronin, Furlong, Dillane, Ruddock, Marmion, Jackson, Fitzgerald

Regarding Dillane and Marmion, I think they should be given an opportunity first. I don't think McCarthy and Reddan should be the default choices, regardless of who Ireland is playing. McCloskey should be given a shot and I'm sure he would be able to physically cope with the Welsh bulldozers in the centre. Put Payne back to 15 where I believe he can do the most damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

bilston wrote: »

Hopefully

If Kearney is fit and doesn't start against Wales I will eat my laptop

Yes, I think in the backs, everyone being fit, the only real question is the wings. Otherwise it's as you were for the starting 9-15 anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Certainly not for Wales anyway. Biggar is too fond of his bombs and chips - need to be able to manage that well.

They picked Alex Cuthbert

I had to stop there, that's absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ECHO Echo echo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wales will beat us

France will beat us

We will beat England, Italy and Scotland.

the time of transition starts now

I was thinking the same, Cuthbert and North weren't particularly impressive at the WC. North was almost non existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah PTH, don't ever change! Maybe smile once in a while though...

sadbag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sadbag.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wales will beat us

Get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zzippy wrote: »

sadbag.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPYKaBJscgjgFVFPjdomjT8oe6nqnePtvy30OHEENmTwFtqMba

the feeling when im wrong about an irish defeat. doctors are baffled at my sporting mentality lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the feeling when im wrong about an irish defeat. doctors are baffled at my sporting mentality lol

I actually think I read a book about this once (or contained a bit about this) where some people have this "egocentric bias" that tells them their favourite team won or lost because of something they did. Hence the psychology of the skud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Sangre wrote: »
    Certainly not for Wales anyway. Biggar is too fond of his bombs and chips - need to be able to manage that well.

I would love to see some other options at fb this 6n. Like Payne. Considering the options we now have in the centres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'll be pretty annoyed if Schmidt continues with Payne and Henshaw in the centres with Kearney at full back. McCloskey is the form 12 in Europe and Kearney is so out of form we need to be trying Payne/Henshaw out there instead of him. Also playing McCloskey 12 allows us to play Henshaw in his best position at 13 and Payne in his best position at full back. A Henshaw/Payne centre partnership just isn't the best use of our resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

ruddock playing lock again the wasps.
    I would love it if he starts there v wales, love it.
    I would be promoted to mod straight away.
    All teasing of my posts would be served cold.
    Come on Joe, you know it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

ruddock playing lock again the wasps.
    I would love it if he starts there v wales, love it.
    I would be promoted to mod straight away.
    All teasing of my posts would be served cold.
    Come on Joe, you know it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I wouldn't say Kearney is out of form. He hasn't played enough rugby to make a judgement on his form. He's started 4 of Leinster's 16 games this season. I'd be happy to see Payne given a shot though. We could do with options in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

AdamD wrote: »
    I'll be pretty annoyed if Schmidt continues with Payne and Henshaw in the centres with Kearney at full back. McCloskey is the form 12 in Europe and Kearney is so out of form we need to be trying Payne/Henshaw out there instead of him. Also playing McCloskey 12 allows us to play Henshaw in his best position at 13 and Payne in his best position at full back. A Henshaw/Payne centre partnership just isn't the best use of our resources.

I won't. Henshaw and Payne were developing nicely together, they're both outstanding players; Henshaw's name being mentioned when talking about Irish player of the tournament last year, and Payne showed all the naysayers just how important he is to us when we didn't have him after he bowed out of the World Cup, we missed him there.

I'm not saying mccloskey isn't a better centre than they are. I think he is. But I think they're better players than mccloskey IMO, if that makes sense.

I hope to see mccloskey get a cap... But not against Wales in the starting XV. Let him cut his teeth against the Italians.

Again, as we've seen every year, form means nothing going into the 6 Nations. It's like pressing a reset button. And noone has shown that more than Rob Kearney over the years.

Kearney is the best option we have by far, the chance of anyone else starting at XV must be somewhere around 0.00015%

• Advertisement

Again, as we've seen every year, form means nothing going into the 6 Nations. It's like pressing a reset button. And noone has shown that more than Rob Kearney over the years.

Kearney is the best option we have by far, the chance of anyone else starting at XV must be somewhere around 0.00015%

Kearney had some really excellent games in the 6N last season, which get overlooked/forgotten by people who think their favourite player should start at 15.

I'd say 0.00015% is on the high side tbh. I'd put it at 0.0000045761% myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Stuart Olding coming back to fitness must be a good thing for Ireland. I don't think there's a better runner with the ball than him in the country. May be a bit small, but if he nails a place down with Ulster and stays injury free he'll be in the Ireland 23 very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Maybe the best option to suit the Schmidt gameplan of kick/chase, seek contact the whole time. Not the best option if Schmidt intends to develop a more expansive gameplan.

jm08 wrote: »
    Maybe the best option to suit the Schmidt gameplan of kick/chase, seek contact the whole time. Not the best option if Schmidt intends to develop a more expansive gameplan.

Kearney started at 15 when Leinster played some of the most expansive rugby European rugby has seen. So quite simply, you are completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    Stuart Olding coming back to fitness must be a good thing for Ireland. I don't think there's a better runner with the ball than him in the country. May be a bit small, but if he nails a place down with Ulster and stays injury free he'll be in the Ireland 23 very quickly.

Hopefully he stays injury free and gets into the team but it will be South Africa before we see him in green again at the earliest.

Payne is looking pretty good at 15 today. Granted Oyonnax are pi$$ poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Kearney started at 15 when Leinster played some of the most expansive rugby European rugby has seen. So quite simply, you are completely wrong.

Thats some years ago now. Probably more to do with Brian O'Driscoll than Kearney anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

jm08 wrote: »
    Thats some years ago now. Probably more to do with Brian O'Driscoll than Kearney anyway.

JS could move Payne to full back and ask him to do exactly what he has been asking of RK. It not the personell, its the mindset/gameplan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Payne looking silky at 15. They've broken Oyo yeah but still...I'd love to see him given a go at 15. All hinges on whether or not Joe trusts Mccloskey to start I guess

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement