Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aimee1 wrote: »
    JS could move Payne to full back and ask him to do exactly what he has been asking of RK. It not the personell, its the mindset/gameplan

No, it's very much the personnel

Payne can't do what Kearney does, he doesn't give you the guarranteed territorial dominance that Kearney's positional brain, aerial ability and left boot does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

No, it's very much the personnel

Payne can't do what Kearney does, he doesn't give you the guarranteed territorial dominance that Kearney's positional brain, aerial ability and left boot does.

But thats kinda my point. Is JS going to change the plan to suit moving Payne to full back, or is he going to keep the gameplan roughly the same and use his best player [RK] for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

With Payne and Luke Marshall on the pitch Ulster have two quality playmakers and line runners. The range and variety of passing is top drawer and something we really should be looking at with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Kearney started at 15 when Leinster played some of the most expansive rugby European rugby has seen. So quite simply, you are completely wrong.

Isa Nacewa

Isa Nacewa

Played on the right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Played on the right wing

10-11 season he played at 15 (Northampton final).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

aimee1 wrote: »
    JS could move Payne to full back and ask him to do exactly what he has been asking of RK. It not the personell, its the mindset/gameplan

And the gameplan is picked presumably to fit the players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

BOD asked mid-commentary (wasps v leinster) about Ringrose's omission from the Irish squad...
    "I think Joe is flexing his muscles and saying he (ringrose) is better off having game time with leinster..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I hope I'm wrong...really really wrong...

But I think we might see Sexton retiring full time from the game soon.
    He's so fragile/unlucky/prone to injury that I can't see him seeing out his career fully.

(Not his fault by the way, nor am I criticising him)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Poor Sexton, no Sexton no Ireland - without him we'd be lucky to finish top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

jm08 wrote: »
    10-11 season he played at 15 (Northampton final).

& Toulouse Leicester and Munster. He was/is a world class fab.
    Ire need to look at other options in that position.
    We know what Rk is good at. Look what Tuculet did for Argentina. We need to look at other options now and expand our game

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Should we start the Jackson v Madigan to start at 10 argument now..... or wait a day or two?

#TeamPJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Should we start the Jackson v Madigan to start at 10 argument now..... or wait a day or two?

#TeamPJ

Is there even an argument to be had? Goal kicking is clearly an area where Madigan has an edge but Jackson is about 90% in the Champions Cup this season. Other than that it should be a straightforward debate.

Anyway fingers crossed for Jonny. Ireland definitely need his leadership and experience.

bilston wrote: »
    Is there even an argument to be had? Goal kicking is clearly an area where Madigan has an edge but Jackson is about 90% in the Champions Cup this season. Other than that it should be a straightforward debate.

Anyway fingers crossed for Jonny. Ireland definitely need his leadership and experience.

Surely no argument to be had

There's always an argument to be had here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

kuang1 wrote: »
    BOD asked mid-commentary (wasps v leinster) about Ringrose's omission from the Irish squad...
    "I think Joe is flexing his muscles and saying he (ringrose) is better off having game time with leinster..."

Unless he was going to be in the Ireland 23, which was always very unlikely, he would have been playing for Leinster anyway so would have got the best of both worlds.

Unless he was going to be in the Ireland 23, which was always very unlikely, he would have been playing for Leinster anyway so would have got the best of both worlds.

Would he have got full 80 minute games at Leinster if he was training away from the squad all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

At what point is Dave Kearney starting not just a meme or a joke, he's been very good again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Surely no argument to be had

Madigan is playing well and is the incumbent.

Yes, there is an argument.

Madigan is playing well and is the incumbent.

Yes, there is an argument.

He's playing about as well as he can, and that's still a long way below where Jackson is this season.

He's just not good enough to be in the conversation. It's Sexton -> Jackson
    > Madigan
    > Keatley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »
    Scoreline isn't a surprise. Wasps line up was significantly stronger and their pack is far, far more clever than ours. Sexton having a big game was about our only hope of getting a result here.
    shaungil wrote: »
    What's most disappointing is the experienced pack aren't taking on wasps and letting the backs have a go. You have to earn the right to go wide etc.wheres your f-n pride and all that . whatever about the ref were making them look amazing

Yes, it's worrying to see the majority - and best players available - of Ireland's pack being buttraped by Wasps. McGrath, Moore, Toner, Ruddock and Heaslip are pretty much certs to start v. Wales. Add in SOB and McCarthy and on the evidence of today, Best may not be a very happy captain during the 6 Nations.

He's playing about as well as he can, and that's still a long way below where Jackson is this season.

He's just not good enough to be in the conversation. It's Sexton -> Jackson
    > Madigan
    > Keatley

He's playing better than people here will ever give him credit for.

He's playing better than people here will ever give him credit for.

He's barely playing, comparatively speaking.

Madigan must start v. Wales. If he was the option v. Argentina, he is still the option in the 6 Nations. Ireland didn't lose v. Argentina because of Madigan.

In the absence of Sexton, Madigan must start v. Wales. If he was the correct option a few weeks ago v. Argentina, he is still the correct option in the 6 Nations. Ireland didn't lose v. Argentina because of Madigan.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Madigan must start v. Wales. If he was the option v. Argentina, he is still the option in the 6 Nations. Ireland didn't lose v. Argentina because of Madigan.

Is anyone claiming we did?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

The core of our pack us in awful form. Could be a long Six Nations.

Is anyone claiming we did?

I've no idea, why do you ask? I'm simply stating that if he was the better player for the job 12 weeks ago why would he not be the better player to do the job v. Wales? Dave K. was complete kack v. Argentina but most people see him as a viable wing v. Wales. The same logic applies. Neither he nor Madigan are injured. What would have changed between October and now? Kearney has been playing well. So has Madigan.

I've no idea, why do you ask? I'm simply stating that if he was the better player for the job 12 weeks ago why would he not be the better player to do the job v. Wales? Dave K. was complete kack v. Argentina but most people see him as a viable wing v. Wales. The same logic applies. Neither he nor Madigan are injured. What would have changed between October and now? Kearney has been playing well. So has Madigan.

not-sure-if-fry-meme.jpg

The fact that Madigan has had considerably less playing time than Jackson at 10 since the World Cup.

• Advertisement

The fact that Madigan has had considerably less playing time than Jackson at 10 since the World Cup.

So again, what has changed?

That was also the case before the World Cup. Same difference today.

That was also the case before the World Cup. Same difference today.

No. Going into the WC they were both coming from the off season and both played in the warm up matches. Maybe Madigan played a little more than Jackson in those games but as of today Jackson has played twice as much rugby as Madigan since the WC. Over 400 minutes more, to be exact.

THAT is a difference.

In reality if Schmidt was concerned about Madigan's lack of gametime he would have started today.

But also Madigan is not as good at Paddy Jackson at rugby

In reality if Schmidt was concerned about Madigan's lack of gametime he would have started today.

Madigan is a very versatile and talented rugby player. His superb goal kicking for example is often held over Jackson's head. He has great acceleration and an eye for a gap. There can't be many guys with enough talent and who have never played 9 before to get named as a possible option in the RWC.

Madigan is a very versatile and talented rugby player. His superb goal kicking for example is often held over Jackson's head. He has great acceleration and an eye for a gap. There can't be many guys with enough talent and who have never played 9 before to get named as a possible option in the RWC.

I would definitely start Madigan ahead of Jackson at 9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i predicted fourth for ireland in the 6 nations and you know considering some of our undropable players form, 5th may also be an option.
    but there is no reason to be too downbeat, the future is bright.
    within 5 years if emerging players are managed properly Ireland could be something special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i predicted fourth for ireland in the 6 nations and you know considering some of our undropable players form, 5th may also be an option.
    but there is no reason to be too downbeat, the future is bright.
    within 5 years if emerging players are managed properly Ireland could be something special

Well, I'd imagine Schmidt was thinking he'd only have to decide who benches rather than who starts. Which may still be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

http://www.the42.ie/sexton-moore-leinster-wasps-2564350-Jan2016/]

injury update, If Moore has a torn hamstring he is likely to miss first 2-3 of the 6n games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Another hamstring injury?

Is that Healy, Ross, and now Moore who's had one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Rodney Ah You must be in with a shout now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A few weeks from the opening six nations game and raging Dave has hit a rich vein of form.

I think the most important points from today from the Ireland perspective were:
    - Payne looking very sharp
    - Henshaw lasting 80 minutes
    - Sexton (allegedly) not too bad
    - Moore getting injured

Other than that, hard to know if anything else changed in terms of selection given the way the games went.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

- Moore getting injured

Other than that, hard to know if anything else changed in terms of selection given the way the games went.

- Payne showing yet again that he is a full back first and foremost.

• Advertisement

- Moore getting injured

The problem with players failing the HIA is there's no real medical basis to them. You could pass one with an actual concussion, you could probably fail one and not have a concussion at all. Obviously they all have to go through the back to play procedures and that's when they'll know for sure. I'd imagine, or hope, that with someone like Sexton they wouldn't take any chances. Any serious knock at all and he has to stay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

1,2 suggest Joe can happily go with Payne and Hench again in the centre.
    Didnt see any of it either but Sexton needs to be better than not bad. Worse, he did fail an HIA, so quite possible wont be there at all for the Wales game.
    4 is a pity, and could hurt us.

awec wrote: »

I would hope at the very least Payne would be seen as the obvious back up at FB in the case of Kearney not being available. There's a variety of options at centre if he's not playing there.

awec wrote: »

All that happened today was that he cemented himself in the 13 jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

In the bad old days, it was 2 weeks off wasnt it?
    In these 'safer' times, for someone assessed as incapable of playing on, and with Sextons history, prudence would suggest 2 weeks and beyond. Maybe back for the middle game.
    (IRFU/Leinster might be regretting letting Mads go).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement