Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to order steak in a butchers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I think you can't go wrong with a reverse seared tomahawk myself.

Takes a bit of time but the results are just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Kovu wrote:
    You could ask for a sirloin, striploin or fillet. Or a T-bone, which is just a sirloin with bone in. I like sirloin as they're a nice size with good flavour. However I usually buy all my steaks in Lidl, you can pick through the packs for one with good marbling which will give you the best flavour.

T bone is not just sirloin, it has a small fillet on the other side.

I don't understand why everyone is suggesting Aldi or Lidl? Try to ask around your local area to find a good butcher.

Also, fillet steaks are pretty easy to cook, just watch some videos on YouTube if you're unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

sasta le wrote: »
    If i want 2 good steaks for dinner what would you ask?Whats a good amount to get
    Or Tesco steaks any good

What kind of steak do you like to eat when you're out and how well cooked do you ask for?

Tesco's Angus at the counter can be very good. I don't rate their prepacked steaks. Dunnes now do decent steaks at the counter as well. If you want both steaks cooked the same degree, ask the butcher to cut them for you so they match in thickness.

I'd +1 the FX Buckley recommendation with a proviso: ask the oldest butcher at the counter for recommendations/help. The younger guys can be more about the current sale than having the cop-on to reel you in as a return customer and won't take as much time to listen and engage.

I find Hereford meat leaner and hence less flavourful than Angus but other will disagree. Aldi do Angus, Lidl do Hereford. If I'm obliged to cook Hereford I'll marinade in wine, garlic, herbs and oil.

Thicker is almost always better. If you both like the same 'cook' level, buy one thicker steak like a single rib on the bone and cut it in two when serving. Remember to rest after cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

simdan wrote: »
    T bone is not just sirloin, it has a small fillet on the other side.

I don't understand why everyone is suggesting Aldi or Lidl? Try to ask around your local area to find a good butcher.

Also, fillet steaks are pretty easy to cook, just watch some videos on YouTube if you're unsure.

The other very important difference with a t-bone is the presence of the bone - which both alters the flavour and cooking characteristics as it conducts heat to the centre of the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Kovu wrote: »
    You could ask for a sirloin, striploin or fillet. Or a T-bone, which is just a sirloin with bone in. I like sirloin as they're a nice size with good flavour. However I usually buy all my steaks in Lidl, you can pick through the packs for one with good marbling which will give you the best flavour.

Marbling is the way fat is spread across the meat like this. The more it's marbled, the more tender it will be if it's cooked correctly.

marmorierung-2_en.jpg

wait, wait...so the more "marbled" a steak is the better the flavour? but surely this is only up to a point right? For example, I would have said that the bottom right hand image in the above, would have been the worst quality (and the code against the image indicates this also) but your marbling comment means the opposite?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

pwurple wrote: »
    More expensive is indicative of scarcity rather than being anything "better" in terms of steak. There are around 5 fillet steaks from a whole animal carcass but 15 sirloin + 15 rib eye.

Fillet steak is from an unused part of the animal. It is part of the reason that bullocks are castrated, they don't use this muscle to practice mating, so it remains floppy and flavourless. I am convinced that is why strong sauces like pepper sauce are used with it.

I personally prefer the flavour of sirloin or ribeye with good marbling. When I use fillet, I use the whole fillet in a Wellington with loads of other flavours from mushroom and bacon to go with it. Sirloin doesn't need the sauces, it has amazing flavour all on its own with a tiny bit of seasoning.

I need to call over to your house for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

wait, wait...so the more "marbled" a steak is the better the flavour? but surely this is only up to a point right? For example, I would have said that the bottom right hand image in the above, would have been the worst quality (and the code against the image indicates this also) but your marbling comment means the opposite?

thanks

This guy just likes fat. Fat is always tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

thanks

Well fat=more (natural) flavour with steaks, obviously there's a limit though. I would try and find a (Beef Marble Score) BMS #5 or #6, that's personal preference for me though, no need for any extra oil as it breaks down from the steak.
    I'm not sure where I got that image but the grading is backwards i.e. 1 is bad & 12 is excellent.
    The marbling is a good indicator of fat cells in the beef, which is what break down and make the meat tender. However it's not foolproof, I know there are a couple of beef breeds that don't marble yet have tender beef- Piedmontese is one, you could feed it beef nuts for a year and you'd have very very little marble expression on the beef.
    It's supposedly good for you too with very little cholesterol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For example, I would have said that the bottom right hand image in the above, would have been the worst quality (and the code against the image indicates this also)

I think you misread the scores tbh. The lower right hand is grade 5, that's the highest grade.

A5 Kobe goes for about $300 per kilo wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you misread the scores tbh. The lower right hand is grade 5, that's the highest grade.

A5 Kobe goes for about $300 per kilo wholesale.

The same image and a full explanation are shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Try the 25 day matured strip or rib in Lidl. On sale at mo 202g for €3.00.

Advertisement