Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M11/N11 Traffic October 2015

• 13-10-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

I presume I'm not the only one facing this problem every evening at the moment? The works near Bray seem to be adding a good 10+ minutes to my Southbound commute home in the evenings. Anyone know what exactly they're doing? Is it just being resurfaced. Do I remember correctly reading a sign saying it runs to the end of the month?

Yesterday the queue started around Carrickmines. I'm beginning to think that Sandyford --> Stepaside --> Enniskerry --> 21 Bends is the best way home every single evening?

And yes I know part of this is technically Dublin-related (M50) but the queue problem is in Co Wicklow!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I've endured it on two nights, and it was around 10 minutes of sitting in traffic. It felt strange having such a long queue at 22:30 at night.
    I contemplated going different routes, but I don't think the Enniskerry route would save you that much time. I'd just grin and bear it. I think it's over in a week or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

fjon wrote: »
    I've endured it on two nights, and it was around 10 minutes of sitting in traffic. It felt strange having such a long queue at 22:30 at night.
    I contemplated going different routes, but I don't think the Enniskerry route would save you that much time. I'd just grin and bear it. I think it's over in a week or two?
    Ah ok sounds like you're hitting it when the work is actually underway. I'm talking about the impact the traffic cones etc seem to have on normal evening rush hour. I'm struggling to keep Blanchardstown to Bray under the hour mark the past few working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Yes, I was talking about the actual roadworks where there is only one lane open.
    I work in Blanch also and have to endure that horrible journey too. I would be happy to get home in less than an hour. If I leave any time after 4:30 I know I'll be stuck in my car for about 1:15. I haven't noticed a huge increase in this time lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

And what about the morning traffic lately!?! Ever since the new road opened between Arklow and Rathnew the northbound traffic is tailed back as far Newtown!

No crashes, no roadworks and yet it's bumper to bumper all the way to the Shankill exit.

It's taking me an hour from Rathnew to Cabinteely these mornings when about 2 months ago it was 40mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Batesy wrote: »
    And what about the morning traffic lately!?! Ever since the new road opened between Arklow and Rathnew the northbound traffic is tailed back as far Newtown!

No crashes, no roadworks and yet it's bumper to bumper all the way to the Shankill exit.

It's taking me an hour from Rathnew to Cabinteely these mornings when about 2 months ago it was 40mins.

A sign of the times. Many many more people in employment this year. Also, once the colleges return in late Sept/October, there is a dramatic increase in commuters. Peak time DARTs are also much more packed these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Heading north from Wicklow exit to M50, the traffic is getting noticeably heavier week by week - and this is at 6:30am. As eigrod said - a sign of the times. God knows what it will be like in the run up to Xmas or when we get the first sprinkling of snow.

Friday evenings are very bad - it's crawling along at a few mph from Carrickmines to Bray from 16:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I haven't noticed it being any worse in the evenings with the machinery/ cones to be honest. Just the usual Autumn pick up. As has been mentioned, more people in employment means more commuters (and obviously we're still not up to the employment levels of 2006/2007). Just to cheer everyone up, peak time is normally after Halloween mid term until the schools break for Christmas!

Although those merging from the N11 from town normally get the blame, I think surveys have shown the main problem is actually the Bray South Junction. When they were completing the M50, they really should've incorporated an auxiliary lane to Bray South or Kilmac, in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Batesy wrote: »

Serious issues with people doing a rat run at The Whistlestop shop in Kilpedder, kids can't even cross the road for the bus to school

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I'm wondering why, with a bit of work they could of easily made it 3 lanes each way...?
    Why did they resurface a perfectly good road and also the black Tarmac they've put down will soon become an ice rink once it gets cold enough.

In a few years I have a feeling of "I told you so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm wondering why, with a bit of work they could of easily made it 3 lanes each way...?
    I'd contest the "easily" bit, there isn't that much room especially where it goes past where the Herbert Rd. turn off is. Not a trivial undertaking at all and more than just a "bit of work".
    Why did they resurface a perfectly good road and also the black Tarmac they've put down will soon become an ice rink once it gets cold enough.
    It does look very shiny, I agree, as does the recently resurfaced section on the bendy section of the R755 just before Annamoe. That's a very sheltered bit of the road, and even before it was resurfaced, and had a few years worth of loose chippings on it it was pretty dangerous in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Alun wrote: »
    I'd contest the "easily" bit, there isn't that much room especially where it goes past where the Herbert Rd. turn off is. Not a trivial undertaking at all and more than just a "bit of work".

It does look very shiny, I agree, as does the recently resurfaced section on the bendy section of the R755 just before Annamoe. That's a very sheltered bit of the road, and even before it was resurfaced, and had a few years worth of loose chippings on it it was pretty dangerous in the winter.

Ok let's change the "bit" to "some" but it could and should of been done..
    I think the motor cyclists have the right idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Traffic was surprisingly light on the way in this evening... is that normal for a Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

This morning was a nightmare, I was expecting to see a pile-up somewhere north of bray south exit, but nothing....

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Traffic was surprisingly light on the way in this evening... is that normal for a Monday?
    Yeah Monday really was strangely quiet, then back worse again yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Serious issues with people doing a rat run at The Whistlestop shop in Kilpedder, kids can't even cross the road for the bus to school

they should close that sliproad altogether, and the on-ramp near the Grove Inn, they're completely unnecessary since the opening of Junction 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

loyatemu wrote: »
    they should close that sliproad altogether, and the on-ramp near the Grove Inn, they're completely unnecessary since the opening of Junction 11.

I couldn't disagree more. As a cyclist I (and most other like minded folk) use those junctions when travelling northbound as a means of avoiding the very madness on the N11 to which you refer. Also, the area is serviced by both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann so I reckon the locals may have an issue with this too.

I couldn't disagree more. As a cyclist I (and most other like minded folk) use those junctions when travelling northbound as a means of avoiding the very madness on the N11 to which you refer. Also, the area is serviced by both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann so I reckon the locals may have an issue with this too.

you're only avoiding about 1500m of the N11, and the buses can use J11.
    https://goo.gl/maps/Vm2FpNs7dyu

That whole section of the road is a mess of legacy junctions that are no longer needed - they could also close the Old Downs Road junction and the southbound exit lane at Drummin (which just duplicates J10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Recently moved from Kilpedder. If we came out to traffic backed up as far as there this was the route we would take to Bray. Faster than sticking to the N11 believe it or not, and a nice drive.

you're only avoiding about 1500m of the N11, and the buses can use J11.
    https://goo.gl/maps/Vm2FpNs7dyu

Not disputing that in any way but taking this junction on a bike means not passing the death trap that is the new(ish) Greystones/ Farrenkelly Road junction further on. That, along with N11/ Herbert Road and Kilmac north or southbound are lethal on 2 wheels. Also, 1.5km less of the N11 is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point, but I'm merely giving another spin on perhaps why these junctions have not been closed off.

Not disputing that in any way but taking this junction on a bike means not passing the death trap that is the new(ish) Greystones/ Farrenkelly Road junction further on. That, along with N11/ Herbert Road and Kilmac north or southbound are lethal on 2 wheels. Also, 1.5km less of the N11 is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point, but I'm merely giving another spin on perhaps why these junctions have not been closed off.

you can avoid the whole of that section by taking the back road from Newtown to Willow Grove. It's a bit (i.e. very) hilly though :)

• Advertisement

Traffic was really light on way from Bray to SAndyford!

If someone has done a study on best times of which days the traffic is lightest heading there and back, I'd really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Traffic was really light on way from Bray to SAndyford!

If someone has done a study on best times of which days the traffic is lightest heading there and back, I'd really appreciate it :)

I was surprised how light the traffic was today considering the rail strike was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It wouldn't be that hard to leave enough space for cyclists, whilst closing junctions for other vehicles. And junctions could be closed for anything but cyclists and buses to stop junction surfing, but then it'd have to be enforced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

I think traffic was light due to it being both a Friday which is always quieter, but also leading into a bank holiday so I'm sure lots of people are heading away.

It was great though! We made it to Dublin in great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

This morning the traffic was back to the far side of Newtown. Normally it builds at Killpeader. I think this is the way it is going to be for the future. I take the point of more people in employment because there are a lot more cars on the Gorey bypass since the schools went back in September but I also think it is due to the new road opening over the summer. By this I mean people who gained from the road are leaving 10-15 minutes later than before and as a result are meeting the traffic that would be on the road regardless of the new road. I am now back to leaving the house at the time I was before the new road opened. I get through then but any later and I would be in trouble.

RAFA B wrote: »
    This morning the traffic was back to the far side of Newtown. Normally it builds at Killpeader. I think this is the way it is going to be for the future. I take the point of more people in employment because there are a lot more cars on the Gorey bypass since the schools went back in September but I also think it is due to the new road opening over the summer. By this I mean people who gained from the road are leaving 10-15 minutes later than before and as a result are meeting the traffic that would be on the road regardless of the new road. I am now back to leaving the house at the time I was before the new road opened. I get through then but any later and I would be in trouble.
    Whilst I'm sure most point in this are valid, I'd be kinda discounting any weirdness specific to today with the impact from the M50 accident. Once people heard about it they might have left home early to compensate etc.

g0g wrote: »
    Whilst I'm sure most point in this are valid, I'd be kinda discounting any weirdness specific to today with the impact from the M50 accident. Once people heard about it they might have left home early to compensate etc.

This was at five past seven so would many people have known before seven that the accident had happened out the far side of the M50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

No why should they? People live on this road and it's an easy access. Also a bus route goes through this area. Junction11 is quite difficult to get on to when heading Ntbound with the amount of cars coming from Greystones and the bend is quite blind too. The traffic caused here would be bedlam.
    they could also close the Old Downs Road junction and the southbound exit lane at Drummin (which just duplicates J10)

I disagree with the closing of this junction. People living on willow grove use this as an easy way to access Deglany village. Again this would add more traffic to Junction 11
    you can avoid the whole of that section by taking the back road from Newtown to Willow Grove.

This is a horrible road and has the potential to flood during rain. Only happened to me at the weekend forcing me to turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

My main bugbear is that nobody in Charlesland uses the R774 road to the N11 that was specifically built for them, instead they use the small Windgates road that was built to service a small Greystones village and simply cannot handle the current levels of traffic.
    It is dangerous and a traffic nightmare for the residents of the area who sometimes, simply cannot cross the road due to the constant stream of cars coming from Greystones to access the N11 via the southern cross route in the morning and the opposite in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

My main bugbear is that nobody in Charlesland uses the R774 road to the N11 that was specifically built for them, instead they use the small Windgates road that was built to service a small Greystones village and simply cannot handle the current levels of traffic.
    It is dangerous and a traffic nightmare for the residents of the area who sometimes, simply cannot cross the road due to the constant stream of cars coming from Greystones to access the N11 via the southern cross route in the morning and the opposite in the evening.
    Nobody?

Overreact much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Eponymous wrote: »
    Nobody?

Overreact much?

Indeed. I don't live in Charlesland anymore but when I did, I always used that new road. I won't pretend to know many people living in Charlesland but I suspect only a minority of people go through Delgany instead of straight up on to the N11.

Maybe I missed it (but I really don't think I did) but is the Stop Sign at the bottom of Herbert Road a new arrival? There was one further up the road a few years back but this one looks like it was erected for traffic exiting the church but has been twisted around to face up Herbert Road.

When they resurfaced the road recently I hoped against hope they might do something like perhaps erect concrete islands or even bollards at the N11 junction so that perhaps motorists would stop using the slip road as a 3rd lane and come speeding across it, cutting off traffic exiting from Herbert Road. This practise has gotten a lot worse lately and I honestly can't believe nobody has been seriously hurt or killed at that junction.

Anyway, I decided to stop at the sign yesterday as a test. It's so far up when you stop and look right you can't even see the approaching traffic from your right on the N11 southbound. I sincerely hope some "expert" hasn't decided that a solution is to plonk a Stop Sign on a road to which only those coming from Herbert Road have legal access? If so, who are we stopping for?

Rant over:mad:

Maybe I missed it (but I really don't think I did) but is the Stop Sign at the bottom of Herbert Road a new arrival? There was one further up the road a few years back but this one looks like it was erected for traffic exiting the church but has been twisted around to face up Herbert Road.

When they resurfaced the road recently I hoped against hope they might do something like perhaps erect concrete islands or even bollards at the N11 junction so that perhaps motorists would stop using the slip road as a 3rd lane and come speeding across it, cutting off traffic exiting from Herbert Road. This practise has gotten a lot worse lately and I honestly can't believe nobody has been seriously hurt or killed at that junction.

Anyway, I decided to stop at the sign yesterday as a test. It's so far up when you stop and look right you can't even see the approaching traffic from your right on the N11 southbound. I sincerely hope some "expert" hasn't decided that a solution is to plonk a Stop Sign on a road to which only those coming from Herbert Road have legal access? If so, who are we stopping for?

Rant over:mad:
    Yeah I noticed that the other day for the first time too! Defo some bollards or similar there would make it a lot safer. The only thing the stop sign might be good for is to protect cyclists coming up the road slowly

g0g wrote: »
    The only thing the stop sign might be good for is to protect cyclists coming up the road slowly

Very true

Mental on the M11 these mornings. Starting to back up from the first entrance to Newtown coming from Wicklow. Over 35 minutes from there to the far side of Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yep, I work on the southern cross and have started coming off at either the Newtown / Greystones exit; sometimes even the first Newtown exit. It's mad. I'd hate to be continuing on into town. Friday is always grand but for the last two weeks, Monday to Thursday, I haven't stayed on the N11 till the bray exit.

We live in Bray at the southern end, and my wife works in Leopardstown. She drives all the way through Bray and gets on the M11 at the Bray North junction rather than at the Bray South one which would be more obvious, as she reckons it's quicker.

Just going to put up this route again that we used to take when the traffic was mad. A nice drive, and faster than the N11

d31b0y wrote: »
    Yep, I work on the southern cross and have started coming off at either the Newtown / Greystones exit; sometimes even the first Newtown exit. It's mad. I'd hate to be continuing on into town. Friday is always grand but for the last two weeks, Monday to Thursday, I haven't stayed on the N11 till the bray exit.

It's been gradually getting busier since Septemeber. I understand it's November but it seems crazy. The funny thing is once you get past Bray it's absolutely fine. The evenings are grand as well.

We live in Bray at the southern end, and my wife works in Leopardstown. She drives all the way through Bray and gets on the M11 at the Bray North junction rather than at the Bray South one which would be more obvious, as she reckons it's quicker.

Used to be (up untill a few weeks ago really) that the 7.45am bus flew through Bray - no traffic. But now it's bumper to bumper in Bray Monday - Thursday at that time. I don't blame your wife of course! - I'd avoid the N11 at all costs. But I guess she's not the only one doing this now. The Greystones folk are probably doing the same.
    I guess it'll have to be the 7.30am start from now on.

• Advertisement

Used to be (up untill a few weeks ago really) that the 7.45am bus flew through Bray - no traffic. But now it's bumper to bumper in Bray Monday - Thursday at that time.
    I forgot to mention that she comes down Herbert Road and turns left onto Main St., so misses out the worst of it.

I get from Bray to Sandyford Ind Est in 30 mins in the morning.. taking a right down by the old City 2.

The evenings though are what I find weird - some evenings there's nothing on the Wilford Roundabout - other times it's mental.

Quick question:

Is it faster to go down by Cherrywood and along through Shankill rather than continuing the M50 and getting stuck after the Cherrywood exit?

I forgot to mention that she comes down Herbert Road and turns left onto Main St., so misses out the worst of it.

Lucky! It's taking 20mins to get from Herbert Rd to Little Bray. Probably should just walk to the Dart, that only takes 25mins, and less stress.

I get from Bray to Sandyford Ind Est in 30 mins in the morning.. taking a right down by the old City 2.

The evenings though are what I find weird - some evenings there's nothing on the Wilford Roundabout - other times it's mental.

Quick question:

Is it faster to go down by Cherrywood and along through Shankill rather than continuing the M50 and getting stuck after the Cherrywood exit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I get from Newtown to the Four Courts in 40 - 50 minutes. 2 wheels great, 4 wheels bad

Quick question:

If you went down to Shankill, you can do this little skip
    https://goo.gl/46vwoQ

It Saved me many hours during the great flood of '06

Not sure about Cherrywood to Shankill though

What's the "old City 2"?

What's the "old City 2"?

The Old City 2 shop opp the church

The Old City 2 shop opp the church

That's kind of what I thought you meant, but that's a one-way street, or do you mean you come out onto Main St. there and turn right? I was thinking this was some kind of sneaky short-cut I didn't know about!

Alas no... "I turn right at City 2 onto the Main St".

Must try that P0lygon Wind0w

• Advertisement
Advertisement