Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign on gates in Salthill / Town

Options
  • 13-10-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Does anyone know anything about the signs on the gates as you walk into town from Salthill? They've been there a while now outside, what looks like, an empty house. Any idea what they're about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

If you read them, you will get an idea of whats going on.
    They get changed every so often too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, just read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it helps, the front of the house used to be totally overgrown with a hedge. Someone removed that - not sure why/how. The signs went up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Care to share a photo of one of them or tell us what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Care to share a photo of one of them or tell us what they say?

I imagine thats what OP wanted but the Galwegians are not being very helpful or obliging today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I imagine thats what OP wanted but the Galwegians are not being very helpful or obliging today

Eh ........ How could they be helpful when they haven't a clue where OP is talking about?

The OP hasn't been specific at all
    Could he mean Mary's Rd. No he must mean Lower Salthill. Actually sorry he must mean the house is on Fr Griffin Rd.
    Or could it possibly be that he means Sea Rd ???!!!!?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Must be about 20-30 cats outside that place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

It's not being unhelpful. Most people on here probably realise that if anyone shared a photo or any of the various stories going around, this thread would be shut down immediately due to targeting a particular person and speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

^^^ what he said

I doubt someone here would like if we started discussing or naming them, or a member of their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I assume you mean the house on Fr Griffin Rd.?

The front of the house had been quite overgrown with hedges protruding onto the (narrow) public path in front. They were cut (hacked) back, pretty violently. The council have been blamed. Neighbours have been blamed. Family have been blamed. I don't know what the true story was, and who did the damage, but the owner is obviously pretty upset about what was done to her garden, and started writing/scrawling signs about the history of it and what had happened in her view etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The ones I read weren't about the garden.... they were mostly abuse allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Yea, the first one I saw related to the hedge being "butchered" without the permission of the owner. Then there was one thanking old friends for the love, but still referring to being "butchered by scum". Then it went on to some ranty-seeming stuff about letters relating to abuse being made public by the Gardaí (named individual Garda). This one still mentions the butchering of the hedge "by crime". The last one I saw was to do with Irish abuse - house being broken into, stolen letters, and something about the abuse of her late father.

I suppose maybe there were always signs here - but the trees had been shielding them from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yea, the first one I saw related to the hedge being "butchered" without the permission of the owner. Then there was one thanking old friends for the love, but still referring to being "butchered by scum". Then it went on to some ranty-seeming stuff about letters relating to abuse being made public by the Gardaí (named individual Garda). This one still mentions the butchering of the hedge "by crime". The last one I saw was to do with Irish abuse - house being broken into, stolen letters, and something about the abuse of her late father.

I suppose maybe there were always signs here - but the trees had been shielding them from us.

Might help if the front door and windows were ever closed, just a thought.

I assume you mean the house on Fr Griffin Rd.?

The front of the house had been quite overgrown with hedges protruding onto the (narrow) public path in front. They were cut (hacked) back, pretty violently. The council have been blamed. Neighbours have been blamed. Family have been blamed. I don't know what the true story was, and who did the damage, but the owner is obviously pretty upset about what was done to her garden, and started writing/scrawling signs about the history of it and what had happened in her view etc.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't imagine there was anything personal on the signs from the OPs post.
    Sounds like a sad story, hopefully it'll be resolved. Surprising it's being let happen if there are people being named, particularly if one is a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

There used to be a lot more of that about - notices on premises, anonymous letters to press and other agencies, phone calls to Gárdaí etc

For some reason many such letters were written in e.g. green ink, with purple outlining.

Would tend to frequent politicians' and solicitors' offices with bags full of correspondence and all sorts of documents
    One advantage of the 'net is that some of those have migrated to the the internet where they can vent their issues to the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Might help if the front door and windows were ever closed, just a thought.

Having an open window or door in your own house is a simple right Unfortunately there are scum around that think not being a fortress is an invitation to commit a crime, but it shouldn't be the default. It's sad that we find ourselves needing to be vigilant about property, but it's not the owners 'fault' (analogies to other moral issues come immediately to mind).

It seems to be more common for older people who've grown up in rural areas to continue to do this. Lord knows my relatives still do it in Dublin! Pity it's abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

inisboffin wrote: »
    Having an open window or door in your own house is a simple right Unfortunately there are scum around that think not being a fortress is an invitation to commit a crime, but it shouldn't be the default.

Agreed. I don't know anything about this house apart from what I have seen re the posters. However it would appear that this lady valued her privacy & I have sympathy for her regarding her hedge. I know it was very overgrown but it would have been possible to cut this back & still leave it tall enough to screen her house from the path. For somebody that lived in seclusion it must now appear to her that she's physically in the spotlight.

Having an open window or door in your own house is a simple right Unfortunately there are scum around that think not being a fortress is an invitation to commit a crime, but it shouldn't be the default. It's sad that we find ourselves needing to be vigilant about property, but it's not the owners 'fault' (analogies to other moral issues come immediately to mind).

It seems to be more common for older people who've grown up in rural areas to continue to do this. Lord knows my relatives still do it in Dublin! Pity it's abused.

Regardless of where your from, the fact its a crime etc theres little excuse for leaving your front door open in the city centre, youre inviting trouble. Its not the 1950s anymore.

Regardless of where your from, the fact its a crime etc theres little excuse for leaving your front door open in the city centre, youre inviting trouble. Its not the 1950s anymore.

It's a frame of mind so. I think you don't need "an excuse" to leave your door /window open in your own house.

It's a frame of mind so. I think you don't need "an excuse" to leave your door /window open in your own house.

Leave your door open when you like, dont create signs whinging about people entering your house later, be it kids with curiosity or whatever. Its just plain stupid. Once bitten and all that.

• Advertisement

Leave your door open when you like, dont create signs whinging about people entering your house later, be it kids with curiosity or whatever. Its just plain stupid. Once bitten and all that.

Kifs with curiosity? Really? Just because kids make bad choices doesn't make it someone else's fault. If we went through life we'd never leave the house based on the 'once bitten' model. It's just another form of victim blaming IMO.

Kifs with curiosity? Really? Just because kids make bad choices doesn't make it someone else's fault. If we went through life we'd never leave the house based on the 'once bitten' model. It's just another form of victim blaming IMO.

Opinion, opinions.

Opinion, opinions.

Yes, they are. And I live in hope that I will live in a community that shares them. :)

I'd love to agree with you but sadly we all have to be responsible for ourselves and the need to exercise due care with regard to security is something we can't ignore. It doesn't make it the householders fault if someone chooses to take advantage of an open door but we have take some responsibility too.The only people who'll suffer through seeing the world as it should be instead of as it is is ourselves.

I'd love to agree with you but sadly we all have to be responsible for ourselves and the need to exercise due care with regard to security is something we can't ignore. It doesn't make it the householders fault if someone chooses to take advantage of an open door but we have take some responsibility too.The only people who'll suffer through seeing the world as it should be instead of as it is is ourselves.

I agree completely with being responsible, but I also think we have a societal responsibility (at least that's what I wish to cultivate in my own community) to do no harm. I think that language of blame tips the balance a little too far. I think you were saying this to a certain extent. In terms of idealism, ideas can grow into reality, so again, it's a fine balance, and in many instances we can lead by example and a little kindness.

I agree completely with being responsible, but I also think we have a societal responsibility (at least that's what I wish to cultivate in my own community) to do no harm. I think that language of blame tips the balance a little too far. I think you were saying this to a certain extent. In terms of idealism, ideas can grow into reality, so again, it's a fine balance, and in many instances we can lead by example and a little kindness.

Agree with the gist of what youre saying but there will always be that element in society who will take advantage and break the law, unfortunately a lack of responsibility by a home-owner will then work against them.

Agree with the gist of what youre saying but there will always be that element in society who will take advantage and break the law, unfortunately a lack of responsibility by a home-owner will then work against them.

I've seen areas change, not just for worse, but for better, because of a change in outlook in the Community, so have to agree to differ. Much of what you say makes sense, but I think there are different ways to a solution. We are talking in generalities here of course. I don't know this house well or it's occupants. I just hope they get some peace, regardless of fault or circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I've seen areas change, not just for worse, but for better, because of a change in outlook in the Community, so have to agree to differ. Much of what you say makes sense, but I think there are different ways to a solution. We are talking in generalities here of course. I don't know this house well or it's occupants. I just hope they get some peace, regardless of fault or circumstance.
    Do you leave you doors wide open?

Do you leave you doors wide open?

Have done,yeah, but not in this weather! ;)

• Advertisement

I fully agree, it would be nice to create that expectation of peace, civility and kindness within the communities we live in, and maybe you're right, maybe that expectation needs to be nurtured even in the smallest things like the language we use around these topics. I agree too that leading by example and kindness is the way to go, you do have to "be the change you want to see in the world". I think in that aim you have to stop short of leaving yourself vulnerable though. You can only be responsible for yourself,your actions,the example you set. I think you can treat people with full respect and expectation for their innate goodness and protect yourself at the same time without disturbing the balance you speak of.

I don't know anything about the house but yes, I really hope some peace comes to bear on the situation, sounds like a dire situation for anyone to be driven that far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement