Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anybody have free acorns?

Options
  • 13-10-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I would love a few acorns to plant. I had experiences before but I neglected the saplings and they died. I would love free acorns. I live in Co.Kerry. I'm sorry but I can't pay anything. If anyone is willing I will lay trust in you and pm you my address.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's a good time of year for acorns. Question. Have you some pockets?

If 'no', locate some pockets.

If 'yes' locate an oak tree...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

endacl wrote: »
    It's a good time of year for acorns. Question. Have you some pockets?

If 'no', locate some pockets.

If 'yes' locate an oak tree...

There is no oak trees around but they can grow where I am

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bad year for acorns, or so i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

bad year for acorns, or so i've heard.

Depends on the tree, we have loads, the pigeons are loving them.

Oaks seem to have habit of not fruiting some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

monkeynuz wrote: »

Could u send me a few?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Well observed :D
    'Mast years’ are a natural phenomenon where some tree species produce very large crops of seeds in some years, compared to almost none in others. It’s not known exactly why mast years occur, but they have been linked to various causes over the years, including weather and climatic conditions.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/04cecdf37862621480256a0f00513443/ca9c50439be651a980257bd000474590!opendocument

There should be plenty in Killarney national park or around Kenmare or find a neighbour with some oak trees.

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I would love a few acorns to plant. I had experiences before but I neglected the saplings and they died. I would love free acorns. I live in Co.Kerry. I'm sorry but I can't pay anything. If anyone is willing I will lay trust in you and pm you my address.

Thank You

If you ever go to Bantry future forests sell bare root oaks this time of year and they won't be very expensive would be quicker than acorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

If you ever go to Bantry future forests sell bare root oaks this time of year and they won't be very expensive would be quicker than acorns.
    They wouldn't even have to go that far, Shanahans in Farranfore will have them, but not for another 3 or 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you could even get them sent to you from Future Forests :D

http://www.futureforests.net/br_broadleaf_h.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Olwas2014 wrote: »

Thank You
    Oldtree wrote: »
    you could even get them sent to you from Future Forests :D

http://www.futureforests.net/br_broadleaf_h.htm
    Minor problem with that option...

:D

Advertisement