Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEMPI - pension levy

Options
  • 13-10-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

After today's budget there is NO justification for public servants to be subjected to FEMPI measures of any kind.
    One of my main bug bears of LRA was the measly reduction of the pension levy
    I don't want it reduced over time I want it ABOLISHED in one go.
    I will not vote for any agreement which has even .00000001% of a pension levy based on FEMPI
    I don't care what I gain out of today's Budget. I feel angry every time I look at my payslip and see how much is being paid out to this "levy"
    I don't know how any public servant/union could have voted for LRA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

km79 wrote: »
    After today's budget there is NO justification for public servants to be subjected to FEMPI measures of any kind.
    One of my main bug bears of LRA was the measly reduction of the pension levy
    I don't want it reduced over time I want it ABOLISHED in one go.
    I will not vote for any agreement which has even .00000001% of a pension levy based on FEMPI
    I don't care what I gain out of today's Budget. I feel angry every time I look at my payslip and see how much is being paid out to this "levy"
    I don't know how any public servant/union could have voted for LRA

Totally agree, I'm new enough entrant to Public Sector and work in pensions department. Pension Levy is effectively ended in Private Sector while it continues in Public Sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dream on, private sector would gladly buy an equivalent pension for the price you pay.

my friend wrote: »
    Dream on, private sector would gladly buy an equivalent pension for the price you pay.

You wanna debate that with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What was said about pension levy in the budget today?

I'm a privately paid teacher so don't pay it anymore so it doesn't apply to me but my wife pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

What was said about pension levy in the budget today?

I'm a privately paid teacher so don't pay it anymore so it doesn't apply to me but my wife pays it.

nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

That's what I thought - one of the lads rang me and said it was gone.

Apparently not

Apparently not

the 0.25% on private sector is gone from end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

my friend wrote: »

Bulls**t:mad:

Its the levy posters are complaining about. Not what they contribute towards their pension. But you obviously know nothing about that:rolleyes:.

Bulls**t:mad:

Its the levy posters are complaining about. Not what they contribute towards their pension. But you obviously know nothing about that:rolleyes:.

yes just go be clear
    my thread is about the unfairness of continuing to pay a levy which was introduced as part of financial crisis measures/FEMPI
    the crisis is now obviously over ......but all we hear is about proposed "winding down " of FEMPI.....once the govt gets something in return of course
    Meanwhile money is being thrown at certain groups of people today. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought the FEMPI 2013 has nothing to do with the pension levy, that was introduced few years before that in FEMPI 2010. The FEMPI 2013 legislation gave people who earned over 65k a nice haircut which is promised back but vagueness about that is also setting in........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

PRD was from FEMPI 2009 I think. But yes, the fact it is not being dealt with separate to any "agreements" is ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've been saying this for a while now, don't know how FEMPI hasn't been challenged in the courts. You can't conceivably have a give away budget in tandem with Financial Emergency legislation that cuts pay. Why are our elected representatives not shouting from the roof tops?

Makes absolutely no sense but some eejits will still vote for these gombeens.

km79 wrote: »
    the 0.25% on private sector is gone from end of year

KM79 private sector levy was 0.15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think fempi was challenged legally but got through on basis it was an emergency. But what about now??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Apparently not

Don't confuse the pension levy of 0.75% on pension funds, with the PRD that public servants pay.

[Don't call the PRD a "pension levy", that leads to confusion.]

If the PRD is abolished, then most PS will be back to paying 6.5% pension conts.

Is that enough, given the cost of providing pensions?

Geuze wrote: »
    If the PRD is abolished, then most PS will be back to paying 6.5% pension conts.

Is that enough, given the cost of providing pensions?

Don't forgot S&C is paid on top of that.

That contribution would be on par with DB Schemes in private sector, which are superior to those in Public Sector. However, personally think contribution should be based on what scheme you are a member, a Single Scheme member paying the same or more than pre 2013 Public Sector employee may not be fair.

Don't forgot S&C is paid on top of that.

The 6.5% includes the S&C cont.

Advertisement