Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Internships

Options
  • 13-10-2015 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi.

I am a graphic design student in my third year of study. I am currently thinking about deferring. I am interested in taking up an internship during my time away from college but am not really sure of the best way to approach applying for an internship. Is there anyone here who has experience in this area that could offer some advice on the best way to approach design agencies about internships, what they're looking for in your portfolio etc? I am looking for something in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hi.

I am a graphic design student in my third year of study. I am currently thinking about deferring. I am interested in taking up an internship during my time away from college but am not really sure of the best way to approach applying for an internship. Is there anyone here who has experience in this area that could offer some advice on the best way to approach design agencies about internships, what they're looking for in your portfolio etc? I am looking for something in Dublin.

I work in web design but same kind of field and when i wanted an internship i simply put an email together explaining my situation as a student, some description of my design skills and some examples of my best works to date. I then googled "web design Dublin" "Digital media agency Dublin" etc and then used Linkedin to find people who work at these companies to try and get an email address i could send my email to requesting an internship opportunity.

Its time consuming and you wont hear back from lots of people but eventually through this method i managed to get taken on and the company ended up taking me on permanently. There's loads of design agencies out there so it's a numbers game really.

I also wasn't willing to work completely unpaid which made things more difficult for me but I'd imagine if you are willing to work for the experience alone and have a half decent level of design skill many places would be happy to give you a few days work a week.

Advertisement