Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2016 Property Tax allowable expese

Options
  • 13-10-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hello,

was there any mention in the budget that landlords can write off the property tax as an allowable expenses for tax purposes or will we have to take the hit yet again. by the way I am a reluctant landlord and renting out my negative price property

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Property tax is tax, not an expense so wouldn't ever expect to deduct it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

tina1040 wrote: »

Michael Noonan has previously indicated that he may allow it as a deduction. No mention today though.
    Taxes are often a deductible expense. VAT for example is deducted by most landlords as is stamp duty on Capital gains on the sale of assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

tina1040 wrote: »

I heard from a tax expert, than although Revenue never said you coudlnt or didn't say you could write it off as an expense. Arent when there was council taxes, they were tax deductible and that provision was never remove. So in this guys opinion this tax is also tax deductible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Deduct it every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lotusm wrote: »
    Hello,

was there any mention in the budget that landlords can write off the property tax as an allowable expenses for tax purposes or will we have to take the hit yet again. by the way I am a reluctant landlord and renting out my negative price property

That stuff is normally dealt with in the finance bill a few days later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I heard from a tax expert, than although Revenue never said you coudlnt or didn't say you could write it off as an expense. Arent when there was council taxes, they were tax deductible and that provision was never remove. So in this guys opinion this tax is also tax deductible.

They have been explicit and clear in asserting that it is not deductible as has the minister for Finance. I question your 'experts' expertise. That said it is self assessment so deduct it if you like but if you are audited you are filing a false return.

Advertisement