Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backyard Breeder

• 13-10-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

My neighbour recently got a pair of German shepherds. He got them with the sole intention of making money from their puppies (Donedeal). He doesn't have a breeding licence. The dogs have never left the back garden, it's a council estate with a tiny back yard, they sleep in his shed. Currently, the female is pregnant with her second litter (after having her first litter in May), and I'm afraid he's going to breed her to death. Who should I contact with regards to this case? Is there even a case with our relaxed animal laws? I've met the dogs and they're very timid, this man hits them with his stick and bangs it on the ground when they approach. They're very sweet dogs with a little encouragement. It's horrible to see them living this way. Is there any way for me to help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My neighbour recently got a pair of German shepherds. He got them with the sole intention of making money from their puppies (Donedeal). He doesn't have a breeding licence. The dogs have never left the back garden, it's a council estate with a tiny back yard, they sleep in his shed. Currently, the female is pregnant with her second litter (after having her first litter in May), and I'm afraid he's going to breed her to death. Who should I contact with regards to this case? Is there even a case with our relaxed animal laws? I've met the dogs and they're very timid, this man hits them with his stick and bangs it on the ground when they approach. They're very sweet dogs with a little encouragement. It's horrible to see them living this way. Is there any way for me to help?

I'm not sure there is a lot you can do, but is it a council property by any chance? Many of them have bans on restricted breeds being kept as pets. It was actually one of the reasons we decided not to adopt a bull breed when our last dog died as we are on a waiting list for council housing and obviously wouldn't be willing to lose the dog.
    If it is a council house, you could try find out if the law for the estate bans the keeping of restricted breeds and they might intervene to have them removed. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop him acquiring a breeding pair of another type :(

You could report it to the dog warden and say you are deeply concerned about the welfare of them both, and the litters. There's a good chance he isn't microchipping them, which is also against the law.

Advertisement