Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with laptop OS upgrade

• 13-10-2015 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

I've an old Dell Latitude E6400 - 2GB ram - NVidia Quadro NVS160M graphics

The hard drive died so I picked up one exactly the same size and speed, formatted it using an external dock on my desktop, then tried to install win 7 no joy, tried Vista no joy, then XP no joy.

Windows 7 pauses after loading files and choosing the region, it is the page where you accept terms, the back button and the red X button are greyed out and the accept terms wont let me select it.

Windows Vista lets you input serial key but the next button doesnt work.

Windows XP gives blue screen.
    (All versions of windows are legit)

I thought originally it might be the admin password so I took all passwords off the bios and updated it to the most recent, I did find the DVD drive was hit and miss so I made a bootable USB, still no luck, I took out the hard drive and made that bootable just to see if it is working and it is, also took out ram and refitted them, cleaned the thermal paste off the proccesor and reapplied new paste, also cleared all exhaust points.

So as I've run out of ideas any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Format only cleans the partition file tables. It does not clean up the whole hard drive and there may be hidden partitions, wrong MBR etc., especially if drive has already been used.
    Its better to remove the partitions altogether before install and let the install disc set up and format the partitions/mbr. This worked for me lately.

Alternativaly use diskpart 'clean' from command line using the Windows install disk using the 'repair' mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

XP will probably give a blue screen because it doesn't support AHCI natively, far as I know - but don't install that anyway, as it's past the end of its support cycle.

As the first person said, try formatting the drive again - do you have another windows 7 disk to try, in case your one is faulty or scratched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks guys :)

I solved it by loading the setup files on to the HD using a different laptop, then continued setup on the original laptop.

Advertisement