Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

River (BBC One)

• 13-10-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

new show starts tonight at 9. looks good to me.

River stars Skarsgård (girl with dragon tatoo) as John River, a police detective haunted by 'manifests' of the dead.

John River is a brilliant police officer whose genius and fault-line is the fragility of his mind - a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest. A man who must walk a professional tightrope between a pathology so extreme he risks permanent dismissal, and a healthy state of mind that would cure him of his gift.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

High hopes for this, fingers crossed I'm not disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

River follows John River, a brilliant police officer whose genius and fault-line is the fragility of his mind – a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest. A man who must walk a professional tightrope between a pathology so extreme he risks permanent dismissal, and a healthy state of mind that would cure him of his gift.
    The cast includes Stellan Skarsgård as John River, Nicola Walker (Spooks) as Detective Sergeant Jackie ‘Stevie’ Stevenson, Eddie Marsan (Ray Donovan) as a notorious killer who haunts River, Lesley Manville (An Adventure In Space And Time) as Chief Inspector Chrissie Read, Adeel Akhtar (Utopia) as Detective Sergeant Ira King, Sorcha Cusack (Father Brown) as Stevie’s mother Bridie and Georgina Rich (Sherlock) as police psychiatrist Rosa.
    The six episode drama was penned by Abi Morgan
    - Source TV Wise

I enjoyed that, thought it was pretty good. Definitely has potential anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭nu_90

Ya , same here thought it was very good myself ,nice surprise to see the fella from ray donovan in it too.

Gonna series link this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

nu_90 wrote: »
    Ya , same here thought it was very good myself ,nice surprise to see the fella from ray donovan in it too.

Gonna series link this one.

Eddie Marsan playing the Victorian nut:). Eddie does headcases like Carlsberg does whatever it does.

• Advertisement

Next episode early reminder bump.

Well I thought that was another excellent episode.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I really wanted to like this because I think Abi Morgan is brilliant so I'm delighted to say I do!

I wasn't 100% sure whether it was going to be like a creepy spooky actual ghosts kind of thing or what so I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's basically about mental health.

So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Haven't caught up with Episode 2 as of yet, but have to echo the positive comments about the opening episode. Thought it was very good.

I really wanted to like this because I think Abi Morgan is brilliant so I'm delighted to say I do!

I wasn't 100% sure whether it was going to be like a creepy spooky actual ghosts kind of thing or what so I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's basically about mental health.

So far so good.

Thought the scenes in
    the psychiatric hospital were very moving, and not in a showy way, just the interaction between the girlfriend and River. Did have issues with the ward being first floor with opening windows but that's just me being pedantic!

• Advertisement

Thought the scenes in
    the psychiatric hospital were very moving, and not in a showy way, just the interaction between the girlfriend and River. Did have issues with the ward being first floor with opening windows but that's just me being pedantic!

I never noticed the windows but good point :D Although isn't the psych ward in the Matter hospital on the 4th floor with an open interior balcony? It does happen.

Superb second episode, an intriguing story-line married with good acting and a healthy dose of The Nolans.

What more could you ask for!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I enjoyed the first episode. Unfortunately the 2nd didn't feckin' record for some reason. Can sone kind person give me a summary of what I missed, I really want to watch this series😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Another cracker, though thought the other case this week was very thin.

His relationship with the therapist is creeping me out a bit.

His relationship with the therapist is creeping me out a bit.

I don't trust her.

I don't trust her.

I can't figure out if she likes him and is genuinely trying to help him or if she's just professionally fascinated by him and wants to keep studying him?

I can't figure out if she likes him and is genuinely trying to help him or if she's just professionally fascinated by him and wants to keep studying him?

He's a high functioning nutjob (sensitive readers: insert appropriate PC term) - well worth a book deal. Keeping him on in the job also serves to piss off her boyfriend which makes for a win win. Who said shrinks can't be shallow ?

He's a high functioning nutjob (sensitive readers: insert appropriate PC term) - well worth a book deal. Keeping him on in the job also serves to piss off her boyfriend which makes for a win win. Who said shrinks can't be shallow ?

Definitely the impression I get. Once in a lifetime kind of case, if she gets him sacked she loses access. Poor River :(

Speaking of PC terms I found it a bit weird when she said "like normal people" or something similar to River. I'm not sure implying a patient is not normal is encouraged these days.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff again.

Eddie Marsan is wonderful. The soundtrack throughout the episode was spot on, too.

Definitely the impression I get. Once in a lifetime kind of case, if she gets him sacked she loses access. Poor River :(

Speaking of PC terms I found it a bit weird when she said "like normal people" or something similar to River. I'm not sure implying a patient is not normal is encouraged these days.

I actually have been sent to a shrink after one of my monumental alcohol related hospital stays. She got rid of me after three or four sessions and reassured me I was "one of the sanest people I've met", and that the "insane" people were the ones she never sees. We also discussed Balkan holidays and why Brazil always come together at World Cups (this was years ago),
    They use normal lingo in their private hours, and the PC stuff when on camera. Connecting with the patient is far more important than whether or not it passes muster with the chosen language of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Very good drama so far. Acting is spot on across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Great show. Stellan Skarsgård is, as always, terrific. Nicola Walker may be the go to girl for female police (Touching Evil, spooks, unforgotten) but she does it well and is a likable character. Extremely attractive too imo, not that that has anything to do with anything.

Do we think Stevie was secretly investigating something and all her secrets have legit explanations? Or was she crooked?

Do we think Stevie was secretly investigating something and all her secrets have legit explanations? Or was she crooked?

Hard to call in a show like this. I'd like to believe she was righteous but being an english production and Skarsgards character, it's quite possible she was crooked. Its not going to be an easy end for River. Which is what I love about english crime shows. None of the usual American happy ending fairytales.

My prediction. He's going to happily die to be with her.

And just after finishing Ray Donovan it's great to see Eddie Marsan again. A much under rated actor (Well he's regarded highly maybe under recognised). Fantastic in everything he does. If I see his name attached to anything I'll give it a watch.

Heckler wrote: »
    Hard to call in a show like this. I'd like to believe she was righteous but being an english production and Skarsgards character, it's quite possible she was crooked. Its not going to be an easy end for River. Which is what I love about english crime shows. None of the usual American happy ending fairytales.

My prediction. He's going to happily die to be with her.

Grim. He knows they're not real though, the people he's seeing, so I don't think he imagines Stevie in heaven or floating around some other dimension.

I think this is one of the few English shows that has managed to copy the "Nordic Noir" police drama style and get it right. Happy Valley being the other. There's been a boat load of attempts to recreate things like The Killing or The Bridge but they all focus so much on atmosphere and neglect the characters and story so much that they're ultimately poor shows.

I get he knows she's not real but He misses her at the same time. And agreed it does have the scandnavian/nordic noir thing going on. But done so well. I'd watch Skarsgard reading the phone book. Says so little but conveys so much. His grief telling her she was still there was powerful.

Terrific again.
    So how did Stevie know the dcis husband? Did I miss something, is he the one she loved. Moved on quick enough with the au pair, if that was the story. I'm none the wiser which is good. Shame there wasn't a secondary case today.
    Realised I'm on nights the week after next when it finishes, so that's a bummer!

• Advertisement

Terrific again.
    So how did Stevie know the dcis husband? Did I miss something, is he the one she loved. Moved on quick enough with the au pair, if that was the story. I'm none the wiser which is good. Shame there wasn't a secondary case today.
    Realised I'm on nights the week after next when it finishes, so that's a bummer!

Yer man, Hodor(?) was seen on CCTV around the Lincoln's Inn area, which is where the husband works, so it's possible he was helping Stevie with whatever it was she was helping Hodor with. She could also be having an affair with him.

I know they said the DNA from the razor matched the DNA found in the car but did they actually confirm who it belonged to?

Hadar I thought but the fella out of game of thrones would have been just as good.

Easier to write his lines too "Hodor" and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Heckler wrote:
    I'd watch Skarsgard reading the phone book.

He has that screen presence where he keeps your attention without opening his mouth. Then when he does speak I'm absolutely glued.

I just watched the first 3 episodes, saving number 4 until tonight.

Usually I would stay away from English detective series, but after Luther I've softened.

He has that screen presence where he keeps your attention without opening his mouth. Then when he does speak I'm absolutely glued.

I just watched the first 3 episodes, saving number 4 until tonight.

Usually I would stay away from English detective series, but after Luther I've softened.

There's just so bloody many of them. Police series in general need to take a break. There's one on ITV at the moment with yer woman that plays Stevie in River. There's the one with Anne Marie Duff in it. There's Cuffs, I think it's called. And that's just off the top of my head. ITV are also working on a new one with Anna Friel, written by the writer of The Bridge series.

There's just so bloody many of them. Police series in general need to take a break. There's one on ITV at the moment with yer woman that plays Stevie in River. There's the one with Anne Marie Duff in it. There's Cuffs, I think it's called. And that's just off the top of my head. ITV are also working on a new one with Anna Friel, written by the writer of The Bridge series.

Unforgotten is excellent (Trevor Eve, Tom Courtenay, Cherie Lunghi among others along with Nicola Walker).
    The Duff thing was unwatchably dull rubbish (1.5 hours I'm not getting back before I walked on it). No idea about Cuffs.
    We used to have 30 minute episodes of The Bill which is where the writing and jogging / acting talent of Duff et al. belong . Now we have these hugely flagged dramas than can't hold the attention of a gnat.
    Thankfully, the likes of Happy Valley, River and Unforgotten still get made. I find following the actors works best as a quality filter- Sarah Lancashire, Tom Courtenay and Nicola Walker do not fetch up in any old rubbish.

Unforgotten is excellent (Trevor Eve, Tom Courtenay, Cherie Lunghi among others along with Nicola Walker).
    The Duff thing was unwatchably dull rubbish (1.5 hours I'm not getting back before I walked on it). No idea about Cuffs.
    We used to have 30 minute episodes of The Bill which is where the writing and jogging / acting talent of Duff et al. belong . Now we have these hugely flagged dramas than can't hold the attention of a gnat.
    Thankfully, the likes of Happy Valley, River and Unforgotten still get made. I find following the actors works best as a quality filter- Sarah Lancashire, Tom Courtenay and Nicola Walker do not fetch up in any old rubbish.

Would agree with most of that apart from I'd consider Ann Marie Duff an excellent actor, that's what made From Darkness disappointing.

• Advertisement

Would agree with most of that apart from I'd consider Ann Marie Duff an excellent actor, that's what made From Darkness disappointing.

Agreed. She's usually very good. I watched the first episode of From Darkness and could barely make it to the end. Didn't catch my interest at all.

Nichola Walker was also in Scott & Bailey, although the series she was in was one of the weaker ones, in my opinion. It's a series that varies greatly in quality from one to the next.

I always looked at Scott & Bailey as more of a comedic soap opera than a full blown police procedural. Watching Suranne Jones as the degenerate detective is a laugh. Hope there's more of that to come - I know if I saw her as my GP, I'd look to score some Valium and then get a grown-up to do proper doctoring (rock on Doctor Foster).

I always looked at Scott & Bailey as more of a comedic soap opera than a full blown police procedural. Watching Suranne Jones as the degenerate detective is a laugh. Hope there's more of that to come - I know if I saw her as my GP, I'd look to score some Valium and then get a grown-up to do proper doctoring (rock on Doctor Foster).

Oh, God! Doctor Foster was abysmal.

I've enjoyed Scott & Bailey over the years but it's not exactly hard hitting. That one series (ft. Walker) was their attempt at doing a series long case and it didn't really work, for me anyway. I enjoy it much more when it's week by week cases and Rachel is drinking wine with her cornflakes and punching lampposts.

I enjoy it much more when it's week by week cases and Rachel is drinking wine with her cornflakes and punching lampposts.

...before she goes home with someone else's husband. Or gets off with a schoolboy. My kind of classy lady.

Just caught up on this week's episode. It's all coming together a bit now.

I reckon Bishop Brennan was involved in it all too. Maybe even killed Stevie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Yeah definitely looks like Bishop Len Brennan is the bad guy we've been looking for.

Great series. Acting tour-de-force from Stellan Skarsgard and Eddie Marsan.

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Yeah definitely looks like Bishop Len Brennan is the bad guy we've been looking for.

Great series. Acting tour-de-force from Stellan Skarsgard and Eddie Marsan.

I couldn't help laughing at the bit where Marsan was running with the football guys. He looked so tiny behind them.

Well... there we have it.

They were all in on it!

Have to say River is easily the best drama the BBC have done since Happy Valley.

The best drama series I've seen in a long time.

Superb stuff from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Just watched. ...was bawling 😢..felt so sorry for him.

Loved it, I had something in my eye once or twice too. Would love a 2nd series but don't really know where they could go to with it.

Loved it, I had something in my eye once or twice too. Would love a 2nd series but don't really know where they could to with it.

Yeah, the Stevie stuff was kind of the heart of it. Without her he's just a crazy guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just finished this tonight and I'm going back to episode 1 opening scene -watching it again and again -checking out Tina Charles on Spotify - can't stop playing the song.

Advertisement