Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on disposable card

• 13-10-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

I dont have a bank account or a card or anything and im going abroad for awhile. Obviously i dont want to be carrying around a bunch of cash. Ive heard one can get a disposable card in a post office or bank?

What one should i buy? How do they work? Will it work anywhere in europe? Will it work halfway up some mountain in bulgaria when i need it for a hostel?

Can i use it as a total substitute for cash?

Ty in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think the post office ones are Visa so would work anywhere that takes visa which is most places in the world. You might still need cash as some places won't have CC facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RainMask

salmocab wrote: »
    Think the post office ones are Visa so would work anywhere that takes visa which is most places in the world. You might still need cash as some places won't have CC facilities.

Nice 1, that sounds easy enough.

Couple of more questions. If i lose it or get mugged, can somone use it without id, or is there some code that i only know.

And i assume if somthing like that happens, i can contact visa and ask them to block it or cancel it and still save my money thats on it?

Also, it will work to book stuff online i assume?

(sorry i really have not used such things before).

Sorry I had a quick google and I gave you a bum steer apparently they can only be used in US or UK but o2 do a money card that will do what you want I think. Someone better qualified than me can give you advice but for now google o2 moneycard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The An Post cards can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted, pretty much. They only come in 4 currency options, however so if you're travelling to a outside the US/Canada/Australia or Euro countries they may not be great options. Your example, Bulgaria, doesn't use the Euro so the charges/conversions fees may not be very favourable.

o2 Money is now gone. The Three replacement is not as good a deal. Skrill, Revolut etc might be better options.

All of them will provide you with a PIN number, and will have cancellation options for lost/stolen cards (be it online or phone etc).

No one can tell you it will work everywhere, all the time. So always have cash as a back up, or preferably cash *and* a plan B

Oki doki, An Post is the one so.

Thank you for answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Revolut card is the best. There is no fees for using it. Plus it gives excellent FX rates. Although you need a smartphone for it.

Hello again,

I went into several post offices asking to buy one. None of them had any idea what i was talking about. Eventually i went into the GPO (Cork) and talked to a guy there. He said that they were only for use with dollars and sterling and it would be no good to me if i was traveling around europe as its just a currency equalizer or somthing.

Then i went into an O2 store, which is now called Three. I asked about the same thing and i was told they are not doing them at the moment because they are changing company (or somthing) and that i would need to apply online for one anyways.

I responded by saying i cant book anything online because i need a card to do it......

Anyone have any suggestions? Im going tomorrow so im pretty much out of time. Is there one that i can get in france perhaps? Perhaps one that i can just walk into a place and pay for nice and easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well you've left things a little late in the day to make such preparations :/ At this stage something like http://www.swirlcard.com/index.php?country=ie&language=en may be your only option. I think most Payzone agents stock them...not sure how much you can top them up without registering/activating them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why not just get a bank account and not have this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Dont need a bank account and dont want one.

Last time i had one AIB pillaged me because i was using an atm abroad.

I suppose i can just roll up my cash and stuff it somwhere where no mugger will think to look........

Im sure it will still be good tender after =)

RainMask wrote: »
    Dont need a bank account and dont want one.

Bertie is that you?

Advertisement