Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do phones download pictures automatically

• 13-10-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I backed up my phone to laptop. When I looked through the photos I found loads of photos I did not take, some were from facebook that I might have liked but did not download (friends), others people I didn't recognise. Does your phone - android download photos from social media? I came across something about WhatsApp so turned that off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I backed up my phone to laptop. When I looked through the photos I found loads of photos I did not take, some were from facebook that I might have liked but did not download (friends), others people I didn't recognise. Does your phone - android download photos from social media? I came across something about WhatsApp so turned that off.

Messengers like WhatsApp can, browse your internal storage or sd card and look in the folder called pictures and also in downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've noticed that my new Sony stores all pics from apps like WhatsApp and viber in the album, I thought that strange when I noticed, never happened on any previous android.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

I know about whatsapp and viber and have turned off the automatic downloading. I don't think it is this as i recognise some of the pictures from Facebook but definitely didn't download them. Also they are not stored in gallery on phone so no idea where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I know about whatsapp and viber and have turned off the automatic downloading. I don't think it is this as i recognise some of the pictures from Facebook but definitely didn't download them. Also they are not stored in gallery on phone so no idea where they are.

To stop a folder showing images in gallery you simply add a file called .nomedia, so any images in a folder with this file will not show in gallery. Browse through your storage and find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

When you view your facebook feed there is tons of images you have no interest in and you scroll past them, but your phone has to download the image to render it. So it stores them somewhere.

Same for all other social media apps. Whatsapp, twitter, etc.
    To stop a folder showing images in gallery you simply add a file called .nomedia, so any images in a folder with this file will not show in gallery. Browse through your storage and find them

I don't think the OP wants to hide the images, they just aren't aware of the fact that for an image to be displayed on your screen your phone or computer has to download it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Download Quick pic .. its sorts images into the folders they are found in and would give you an idea of where they came from. You can then edit settings perhaps for these apps not to download images? If you clear these apps cache, it might get rid of them too?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't want my phone to download photos at all - is there a way of stopping it from facebook as there is from whatsapp and viber? Where are they stored so that I can get rid of them? Mind you they may be gone as had to factory reset the phone a while ago and only transferred back the gallery photos I think! There is a storage thing as well don't want to block up with unwanted items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unless I select "Save Image" an image on Facebook, my phone doesn't store the photo?

What phone & version of android are you using?

It's a dual sim Motorola 2nd gen. Version 5.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

You say you backed up your phone to laptop. What did you use to do this?
    Does the file and folder structure on your laptop give an indication as to where the photos came from our did the process just pull out all the images from the phone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement