Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D Drive high data used up, but on what?

Options
  • 13-10-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    The D Drive in my PC is almost full.
    There is only 1.2GB left of 148GB.
    But it seems to be full of files which I don't know what they are.
    I want to find out of there is anything I can delete, without affecting the PC's performance, as in I don't wont to delete things that the PC needs in order to work properly or whatever.
    There are tones of small size files like these, all in the D Drive;

HDDRecovery
    ODDFiles
    Fonts
    PFiles
    Plugins
    SWImg
    EFI
    Boot
    WindowsImageBackuOriSetenv
    HTMPREP

etc.....

What are these or can I erase any/all of them to claw back a bit of space.

I could back up the PC to an external hard drive but that Drive will still be as full if I don't delete items from it.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Download CCleaner
    it,ll get rid of some of those files
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Windows stores backup files ,restore, fonts , games,programs on drive C
    not on drive D .
    on my drive d theres only music, and podcasts .
    There,s a free program that shows all the files on drive c and d,
    all the folders, how much space each folder takes up.
    Maybe you have set certain programs to store music,video,or photo, files on drive d .eg dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

After running CCleaner, use Dirstat to find out what is eating up space in D Drive. There is a portable version as well. So no need to install if you donot want to (I would intall as its a handy application)

Judging by the folder structure, it looks like your PC's recovery partition. You really shouldn't be saving anything on this at all. Deleting the files could make it more difficult to restore the computer if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Check out what size "WindowsImageBackuOriSetenv" is, it may be that you are backing up the C drive to a folder on the D Drive, a couple of images and you'd have the D drive full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It looks like you have backup images of drive c windows 0s,
    on drive d.
    I switch off windows backup, system restore as i have no valuable data on my pc,
    just games and podcasts.
    it make be set to save a new image file every month .
    1 image file could be 30 gigabyte or more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement