Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2016 - Merchant transaction charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Anyone know if this means retailers will get the fees being charged by their processors - Elavon, etc. Reduced...... http://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/12-cent-charge-on-atm-transactions-to-encourage-cashless-society-31607929.html

That appears to be the point so you would hope we see a reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

jimmii wrote: »
    That appears to be the point so you would hope we see a reduction.

So, every retailer will only pay 0.1% when presented with a debit card? Sounds too good http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/retail-shops-welcome-cut-in-cost-of-processing-debit-card-payments-1.2390383

So, every retailer will only pay 0.1% when presented with a debit card? Sounds too good http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/retail-shops-welcome-cut-in-cost-of-processing-debit-card-payments-1.2390383

That does seem unlikely but you never know. That article references the 0.3% which I think is the interchange fee obviously not the amount we are paying so maybe that article has misunderstood where the rate is going to apply. Haven't actually looked at the budget yet.

jimmii wrote: »
    That does seem unlikely but you never know. That article references the 0.3% which I think is the interchange fee obviously not the amount we are paying so maybe that article has misunderstood where the rate is going to apply. Haven't actually looked at the budget yet.

I remember an EU directive being spoken of. Check this out...uk article but.. http://www.expressandstar.com/business/uk-money/2015/10/08/boost-for-shoppers-as-card-processing-fees-capped/

From December 9, the fees banks can charge will be capped at 0.3% for credit card transactions and at an average of 0.2% for domestic debit card transactions

Noonan made the debit charges even lower. Time to phone Elavon..... December 9th

I remember an EU directive being spoken of. Check this out...uk article but.. http://www.expressandstar.com/business/uk-money/2015/10/08/boost-for-shoppers-as-card-processing-fees-capped/

From December 9, the fees banks can charge will be capped at 0.3% for credit card transactions and at an average of 0.2% for domestic debit card transactions

Noonan made the debit charges even lower. Time to phone Elavon..... December 9th

That would be a nice Christmas bonus! Fingers crossed it plays out like that and there isn't some loop hole in the terms & conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Basically it means it will be cheaper to take credit card payment than a cash payment (banks charge 30c-45c per €100 cash lodged)

Maybe I'll have to put a surcharge on anyone paying by cash! :D

delahuntv wrote: »
    Basically it means it will be cheaper to take credit card payment than a cash payment (banks charge 30c-45c per €100 cash lodged)

Maybe I'll have to put a surcharge on anyone paying by cash! :D
    Has anyone gotten on to their processor about it. Been meaning to see what will happen. Will they send a letter and say here ta go, we have been completely taking the Mick for the past few years, your rates are now much much lower..... But we have a new processing fee called the budget 2016 levy that will add 1.5% to all transactions....
    We'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Has anyone gotten on to their processor about it. Been meaning to see what will happen. Will they send a letter and say here ta go, we have been completely taking the Mick for the past few years, your rates are now much much lower..... But we have a new processing fee called the budget 2016 levy that will add 1.5% to all transactions....
    We'll see

Best way to approach it is to talk to a competitor processor and then go your processor and say "beat that".

I'm going to chat to Barclaycard today and then see what Elavon say next week. - I'm currently on 1.05%

I do assume that there will be "service fee" aspect of about .3%- .5% as they do need to have an income to pay for systems, staff, offices etc.

I'll let you know.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Best way to approach it is to talk to a competitor processor and then go your processor and say "beat that".

I'm going to chat to Barclaycard today and then see what Elavon say next week. - I'm currently on 1.05%

I do assume that there will be "service fee" aspect of about .3%- .5% as they do need to have an income to pay for systems, staff, offices etc.

I'll let you know.
    Do let us know what they say. I didn't know Barclaycard did card processing, is it under a different name? Anyways, would like to know how you get on.

Advertisement