Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings ATM card- when are they replaced by the bank?

Options
  • 14-10-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

When does the bank re-issue atm cards for savings account?
    How long are the savings a/c atm cards supposed to last for, until they need replacing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

When does the bank re-issue atm cards for savings account?
    How long are the savings a/c atm cards supposed to last for, until they need replacing?
    Hi Chimichangas,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm just checking this with our cards team and will come back to you here as soon as I've an answer for you.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Chimichangas,

Thanks for your patience. Savings account ATM only cards don't have an expiry date the way a debit card would. As a savings account is designed with the intention of saving rather than day to day spending, it wouldn't have as much use as a current account. So a card held on a savings account would be expected to last several years longer than a debit card.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Hi Chimichangas,

Thanks for your patience. Savings account ATM only cards don't have an expiry date the way a debit card would. As a savings account is designed with the intention of saving rather than day to day spending, it wouldn't have as much use as a current account. So a card held on a savings account would be expected to last several years longer than a debit card.

Thanks
    Tara
    Thanks but your reply doesnt answer my question, and I did try to keep my question simple and specific. 

For example, if the BoI issued a savings card in 2010, when would BoI decide to replace that card issued in 2000?

Is there not a standard operating procedure for these Savings a/c atm cards?

Otherwise does the bank wait for the cards to stop working, and then charge the customer to replace them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you can get an ATM card with a savings account anymore. If you have one for many years it probably still works but may not be replaced if it stops working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Chimichangas,

Thanks
    Tara
    Thanks but your reply doesnt answer my question, and I did try to keep my question simple and specific. 

For example, if the BoI issued a savings card in 2010, when would BoI decide to replace that card issued in 2000?

Is there not a standard operating procedure for these Savings a/c atm cards?

Otherwise does the bank wait for the cards to stop working, and then charge the customer to replace them?

Thanks
    Hi Chimichangas,

Sorry to hear you feel we haven't answered your question. As mentioned above, there's no set expiry date for an ATM only card on a Savings Account. 

If you feel you have been incorrectly charged for a replacement card, please let us and we'll be happy to arrange a call back to have this investigated. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I still have a old blue Pass Card that still work's. If it ever stops working through natural 'wear and tear' and BOI expect me to pay €8 for a replacement card I will just close my account and move elsewhere just like I did with my current account.

Avoiding simple questions does you no favours BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

craoltoir wrote: »
    Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you can get an ATM card with a savings account anymore. If you have one for many years it probably still works but may not be replaced if it stops working.
    Yes your wrong -you can still get a ATM card with a savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I still have a old blue Pass Card that still work's. If it ever stops working through natural 'wear and tear' and BOI expect me to pay €8 for a replacement card I will just close my account and move elsewhere just like I did with my current account.

To be fair to BOI, this isn't the question that was asked at all. BOI answered the question asked in the opening post. Not sure why you are getting snarky at a person for answering the questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Delta2113 wrote: »

To be fair to BOI, this isn't the question that was asked at all. BOI answered the question asked in the opening post. Not sure why you are getting snarky at a person for answering the questions asked.
    Actually, to be fair, that is EXACTLY what the original question was about! 

If I thought my original question was answered with first response I wouldnt have said it wasnt answered later in the thread.
    So in this case Delta2113 was not being snarky, but bang on the money coming to the same conclusion I came to from the follow up answer from BoI. 
    I am disappointed with BoI, but thank their representatives for the follow up answers.

Advertisement