Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An AA-only thread?

• 14-10-2015 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

I often notice many things posted about AA that don't exactly match up with what the Big Book (AA's Basic Text) states about Alcoholism and the program of recovery contained therein.

I am an AA member, sober many years now (as are a few others on here, , some longer than I), and I think it might be helpful to newcomers/lurkers to have a thread in this section where stuff from that basic text can be posted without it being considered "controversial". Not to say AA's don't disagree on some stuff, :pac:, but at least then it would be in-house discussions.

Just an idea, not sure how one makes an official pitch, so I am just throwing it out there for consideration, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My opinion on that would be while I certainly have no issue with AA myself,or any other method or fellowship that can help one come over our addictions,it be only a matter of time before someone comes in with criticism re AA and how it's religious etc etc etc , it has happened here before and it would just turn into you Amazing fun in defending it everyday. Once again have no problem with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Realies: I thought you a current member of AA, or am I mistaken?

realies wrote: »
    My opinion on that would be while I certainly have no issue with AA myself,or any other method or fellowship that can help one come over our addictions,it be only a matter of time before someone comes in with criticism re AA and how it's religious etc etc etc , it has happened here before and it would just turn into you Amazing fun in defending it everyday. Once again have no problem with it myself.

But a "for members only" thread avoids most of that kind of chat.

AA has a basic text. Within that text is the AA program of recovery. It's just a chance to state/clarify what AA's own literature has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Realies: I thought you a current member of AA, or am I mistaken?

Yes I do go to meetings, mainly CA meetings, Cocaine anonymous ,and I myself find them great but I also know quite a few people who don't and won't go.due to the mistaken belief that it's a religious fellowship.I myself Amazing fun have no problem with this thread and hope I did not come across if I did as I would contribute to it if I could.

Well CA uses the Big Book as its basic text as well, so why would there be a problem?

See, this is my point really, we have literature and it is often overlooked to the detriment of many, in my experience. This is just a chance to display/share some of that and answer any questions newcomers might have. We just want them to get free, I already am, and I presume you are too lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I am a member of AA & it has saved my life but I don't think it's a good idea on here. The Traditions say as much. I know your heart is in the right place Amazingfun but I think the way the forum is at the moment is just fine. If you have a thread about one particular program and it leads to something bad happening to someone due to a relapse it brings the name of AA in to public controversy.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I am a member of AA & it has saved my life but I don't think it's a good idea on here. The Traditions say as much. I know your heart is in the right place Amazingfun but I think the way the forum is at the moment is just fine. If you have a thread about one particular program and it leads to something bad happening to someone due to a relapse it brings the name of AA in to public controversy.

I disagree, where do the Traditions say anything about it?

Plus, we don't get anyone sober, and we sure don't get them drunk.
    All I would like is to post the "precise clear cut directions" (and the the text they come from) so that it's clear there actually are precise clear cut directions, lol.

Anyways, there doesn't seem to be a need for permission after all, I might just start a Big Book thread tomorrow and see how it goes, just a page or bit a day maybe, no one even has to respond, just anyone interested can take a read and those that don't can skip it.

It was discussed before with Dave and we were told no for a reason.

Tradition 6

6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

I think that covers using Boards as an AA platform. Should not be done

It was discussed before with Dave and we were told no for a reason.

Tradition 6

6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

I think that covers using Boards as an AA platform. Should not be done

I am not starting an outside enterprise, nor have anything to do with finance, nor lending the AA to anything, so not sure how you figure that applies?

Ps: our primary purpose is to carry this (the Big book) message to those who still suffer. How on earth you credit AA with "saving your life", discuss it frequently on here, yet think sharing bits from our book "shouldn't be done", mystifies me, frankly.

And anyways, no one has said anything about not starting a thread on this, it was in the big "Haven't touched a drop" thread, a thread not solely about AA but just a place where anyone who has stopped/wants to stop can post, was where Dave said to leave it.

Anyone not interested is free to skip it. As I said in the previous post, no one even has to respond unless they want to, or have a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I am not a member of the AA but have been around alcoholics most of my life and for the last couple of years strongly considered going to Al Anon as I was starting to struggle with the drinking. I personally think it might be good for newcomers or lurkers (like me) to know what its about.

To be honest, the only reason I never went to Al Anon was that exact reason that it seemed very similar to a fellowship or a cult. So from an outsiders point of view, I would definitely follow this thread!

• Advertisement

Cool Ashbx, thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Just wanted to pass on a link you may (or may not,lol) find useful:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OdomtologyBooks/featured

Just a bunch of Al-Anon speakers, and it's all free. Loads of AA speakers too ;)

Take care!

EDIT: ***the original link didn't show, but the "Family Recovery" section is the one that has the Al-anon speakers.

I am not starting an outside enterprise, nor have anything to do with finance, nor lending the AA to anything, so not sure how you figure that applies?

Ps: our primary purpose is to carry this (the Big book) message to those who still suffer. How on earth you credit AA with "saving your life", discuss it frequently on here, yet think sharing bits from our book "shouldn't be done", mystifies me, frankly.

And anyways, no one has said anything about not starting a thread on this, it was in the big "Haven't touched a drop" thread, a thread not solely about AA but just a place where anyone who has stopped/wants to stop can post, was where Dave said to leave it.

Anyone not interested is free to skip it. As I said in the previous post, no one even has to respond unless they want to, or have a question.

I'm just telling you from knowing this site that if you start discussing something that can affect someone's life in a life or death kind of way Boards will not want anything to do with it from a legal perspective. Yes, we can offer advice and encouragement but I feel that a dedicated thread will bring the name of AA to public view which IS against Tradition 6.

"or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise"

The people posting in it will become representatives of AA without any real approval which I think is wrong. Why change something that is working like the thread we have?

Another thing from experience, I like a majority of members never wanted to join AA when I first gave up drinking, people have to be at their rock bottom & they need to want it themselves. A thread about information about AA would be fine but I am totally against a thread about advice, I've seen far too many people in the actual rooms been given the wrong and advice which has lead them back drinking. A thread like the PI forum would need to be moderated regularly and I just think the negatives far out weigh the perks.

Again, AA has completely transformed me as a person and I endorse it completely but the Traditions like the Steps are there for a reason, no one has the right to bend or break them even if their heart is in the right place. Anyone who has been told that it's a cult has been completely misinformed.

Kunnka, Tradition 6 has no relevance at all to this situation, and I have no clue as to why you think it does.

The Big Book is all about sharing the AA solution, and is based on our experience, not our advice, so not sure what you are on about.
    "here are the steps we took"......not "here is what I think you should do", ;)

Again: the Big Book contains the AA message and program of recovery. Sharing it is what AA is all about.

Ps: I think you imagine me asking your permission to start a thread. Respectfully, I am not.

Ps: I think you imagine me asking your permission to start a thread. Respectfully, I am not.

Not at all but I have a responsibility as a member to object to something that goes against the principles of AA. As I have said though read the charter it clearly states you cannot start any open discussion about any type of recovery program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi guys,

Thanks for proposing this idea and starting this thread for discussing it!

I feel that the forum is working well as-is and I don't want to make any changes that might jeopardise that, by ghettoising certain people or by creating some kind of partition. It'll only lead to resentment and foster division between people who advocate different recovery methods.

I don't know much about these things, but would just like to keep the peace and for everyone to continue to find the forum a useful and friendly place to come to talk.

So I'd rather if everybody would speak openly about what has worked for them and respect other people's experiences.

Thanks guys

Dave! wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for proposing this idea and starting this thread for discussing it!

I feel that the forum is working well as-is and I don't want to make any changes that might jeopardise that, by ghettoising certain people or by creating some kind of partition. It'll only lead to resentment and foster division between people who advocate different recovery methods.

I don't know much about these things, but would just like to keep the peace and for everyone to continue to find the forum a useful and friendly place to come to talk.

So I'd rather if everybody would speak openly about what has worked for them and respect other people's experiences.

Thanks guys

Dave, thanks. It was you I was asking from the start, lol.

However, having a Big Book thread where only those interested read/post IS an opportunity for those who practice this way of life to have our say too. As it stands, the Haven't Touched a Drop thread is a free for all (and that's fine!) but sharing the AA message in a more in-depth fashion isn't really encouraged. Not really the place for it anyways.

I would appreciate it if you would consider allowing one single thread for a trial run, there won't be anything but daily postings from the Big Book for those interested. Hell, you might even find it interesting!

Cheers.

A.

Not at all but I have a responsibility as a member to object to something that goes against the principles of AA. As I have said though read the charter it clearly states you cannot start any open discussion about any type of recovery program.

Sharing the Big Book "goes against AA principles"......uh, no, it doesn't.

Please read Tradition 6: http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_tradition6.pdf

Sharing the Big Book "goes against AA principles"......uh, no, it doesn't.

Please read Tradition 6: http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_tradition6.pdf

Discussion will lead to advice, advice will lead to AA methods being in a public place when they should not be & you should know that is against the principles. That is my only concern as I said as it's my responsibility as a grateful member to not allow AA to be potentially damaged by people using a third party platform such as here to give advice about it's message or what is in the book. People could take something from someone who is a week sober as golden advise because there is no way of knowing on here & in turn it could have negative implications on that person's recovery. It is not worth the risk and I don't know why you're pushing so hard for it when there is potential for it to do harm.

Kunkka: reading Tradition 6 will make clear to you (and anyone reading) that sharing The Big Book on an online forum, a forum where "advice" and discussion about alcoholism is a daily event, is exactly the right place.

You really ought to read Traditon 6 (linked above) and then consider what you've written, as its completely off base.

Plus, in one post you say this:
    Yes, we can offer advice and encouragement but I feel that a dedicated thread will bring the name of AA to public view which IS against Tradition 6.

"or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise"

The people posting in it will become representatives of AA without any real approval which I think is wrong. Why change something that is working like the thread we have?

Another thing from experience, I like a majority of members never wanted to join AA when I first gave up drinking, people have to be at their rock bottom & they need to want it themselves. A thread about information about AA would be fine but I am totally against a thread about advice, .

So you are for advice in one breath, against it the next, and yet I don't give advice on here, AA is about sharing EXPERIENCE.

I hope you sleep on it and maybe read this again in the morning, with a "new pair of glasses", as it were ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry this thread is pretty illustrative of why I don't think this is a good idea :( lol

I'm sure that it's interesting and would be good for some people, but it's too contentious and too hard to police.

I'd rather we try to stick to giving advice and support that is applicable to anybody/everybody.

Sorry and thanks again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement