Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out of ps4

Options
  • 14-10-2015 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I think my son has been messing with settings or profiles on my ps4, all of a sudden it looks like my profile is not primary and when I try to activate it it won't let me.

I'm locked out of all games now

I am told that I need to deactivate it online and reactivate it again but the official link is down...

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

I will call support today,.

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

You could try rebuild the database by , holding down the power button on the front of the PS4 for about 7 seconds . You will hear a beep. then two beeps ,and then the system will boot into recovery mode with different options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

You could try rebuild the database by , holding down the power button on the front of the PS4 for about 7 seconds . You will hear a beep. then two beeps ,and then the system will boot into recovery mode with different options.

So it was a question of bad timing - maintenance running this morning caused this!

That said, I need to get my account set as primary - will call Sony this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Put a password on it then to stop a repeat. I'm sure your son did it by accident but just in case.

More issues though now -

OK So Sony were very poor in terms of help.

Maybe you can give me your 2 cents.

I have a main profile - It is currently NOT letting me activate it - getting this message when I try:

Cannot activate this system as your primary PS4

You have already activated another system as your primary PS4 with your account. To activate this system, deactivate the other.

My son has another profile which is active as a Primary on my PS4

So it looks like Sony think I have another system set as primary for my profile.

If I log onto my Sony profile - I see only one system My PS4 and an option to deactivate.

But if I do this, Sony tell me I will lose all content, save games etc. and will need to start again - not an option given I have loads of games mid-way and some I want to keep four future DLC like Bloodborne.

EDIT - I haev NOT activated the profile on another PS4!

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sticker wrote: »
    More issues though now -

OK So Sony were very poor in terms of help.

Maybe you can give me your 2 cents.

I have a main profile - It is currently NOT letting me activate it - getting this message when I try:

Cannot activate this system as your primary PS4

You have already activated another system as your primary PS4 with your account. To activate this system, deactivate the other.

My son has another profile which is active as a Primary on my PS4

So it looks like Sony think I have another system set as primary for my profile.

If I log onto my Sony profile - I see only one system My PS4 and an option to deactivate.

But if I do this, Sony tell me I will lose all content, save games etc. and will need to start again - not an option given I have loads of games mid-way and some I want to keep four future DLC like Bloodborne.

EDIT - I haev NOT activated the profile on another PS4!

Any ideas?

But you won't lose all content - all your games belong to your profile.
    Deactivate you console, log into your PS4 and reactivate it as your primary console.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    But you won't lose all content - all your games belong to your profile.
    Deactivate you console, log into your PS4 and reactivate it as your primary console.

Are you 100%?!!- I don't want to lose anything!

Whats the difference between my profile and activation?

After I deactivate the PS4 online, DO I just log back into the profile?

234.png

If you were to sell your PS4, you would deactivate it.

If you then buy a new PS4 and log in with your profile, you will be able to get all the content you purchased/downloaded with that profile.

This is effectivley what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Should not lose anything, as all your purchase and the like are tied to your account, yes after you deactivate on that page, then you log back in on PS4, got to the PSN settings and set as primary....

Fieldog wrote: »
    Should not lose anything, as all your purchase and the like are tied to your account, yes after you deactivate on that page, then you log back in on PS4, got to the PSN settings and set as primary....

Thanks - Is everything to be downloaded again?

• Advertisement

If you were to sell your PS4, you would deactivate it.

If you then buy a new PS4 and log in with your profile, you will be able to get all the content you purchased/downloaded with that profile.

This is effectivley what you are doing.

I'm still very cautious - Whats the downside to having my main account not a primary?

I'm still very cautious - Whats the downside to having my main account not a primary?

I don't know, but your OP states you can't play any games, maybe they're over 18's games(or over 7's) and as your son has control of the console it seems you are gameless.
    He may have used parental control on your profile.

The primary account "own's" the sub accounts and can restrict it, afaIk.

I don't know, but your OP states you can't play any games, maybe they're over 18's games(or over 7's) and as your son has control of the console it seems you are gameless.
    He may have used parental control on your profile.

The primary account "own's" the sub accounts and can restrict it, afaIk.

No - just to clarify - the reason I could not play games was that Sony ran maintenance this morning and the account is not primary so was offline.

All games and downloads are working perfect for me - just not a primary account.

OK SO I hit 'deactivate' from the Sony page - and I get this:

You can only deactivate your PlayStation®4 system directly from the system itself.

Turn on your PS4.
    From your Home Screen, press the Up button to view the Function Screen.
    Select [Settings].
    Select [PlayStation™Network].
    If you are not already signed in, sign in to PlayStation™Network.
    Select [Activate as Your Primary PS4] from the menu.
    Select [Deactivate].
    Select [Yes] to confirm that you want to deactivate this PS4. When the system has been deactivated, you will see 'Deactivated'. The PS4 has been removed from your account.
    Select [OK] to return to manage your other PlayStation™Network settings.
    For more information or assistance, please visit PlayStation® Support.

But when I go to my profile, deactivate is greyed out as it only shows "Activate" - when I click on activate, I get the usual ****e:

I've logged out and logged in again - same message.

So on the Sony page - I cannot deactivate and I do not have the option to within my profile.

My sons profile is activate as a primary - should I deactivate this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

On the page where you go to deactivate your PS4.

Go to the Account tab
    Select Media and Devices, 2nd from the bottom.
    There should be an option to deactivate all remotely.
    Then log into your PS4 and set it as the primary device.

Evade wrote: »
    On the page where you go to deactivate your PS4.

Go to the Account tab
    Select Media and Devices, 2nd from the bottom.
    There should be an option to deactivate all remotely.
    Then log into your PS4 and set it as the primary device.

I went to that page and this appears:

You have deactivated your devices recently and cannot use this feature at this time.

Activated Devices
    1 PlayStation® Systems

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dzachec

this feature can be used once per 6 months.
    if u didnt do that urself or ur son didnt do that, than maybe your password was provided to someone and that person used this feature to deactivate ur devices and set their own ps4 as ur primary just to have free games from ur account...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

dzachec wrote: »
    this feature can be used once per 6 months.
    if u didnt do that urself or ur son didnt do that, than maybe your password was provided to someone and that person used this feature to deactivate ur devices and set their own ps4 as ur primary just to have free games from ur account...

I think Sony support can override that, I know Xbox support could....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

@Sticker Did you get this sorted in the end? I am having the same issue it appears after the "maintenance" yesterday.

I have my main account and then another US account. The US one was set as the primary, went to play a game there on the Irish one and it was set as the primary so I wasnt able to play the game from the US account. Went to swap it back and it tells me I cant make it primary as its activated on another system..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Director Sean Thomas

@Axwell Same here, logged on last night and was having the exact same problem, just after all the maintenance.

I don't have a second account like you do though.

Keep us posted if you find a solution, I'd hate to be left deactivated for 6 months.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    @Sticker Did you get this sorted in the end? I am having the same issue it appears after the "maintenance" yesterday.

I have my main account and then another US account. The US one was set as the primary, went to play a game there on the Irish one and it was set as the primary so I wasnt able to play the game from the US account. Went to swap it back and it tells me I cant make it primary as its activated on another system..

Sent you a PM - My issue was resolved with maintenance was over. Its such a pain - I have to wait until April to set my account as primary again.

I have recently opened a new profile for US account, Have things now changed recently that games downloaded on US account are not working now or Sony has made changes to multi accounts in different regions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

@Axwell Same here, logged on last night and was having the exact same problem, just after all the maintenance.

I don't have a second account like you do though.

Keep us posted if you find a solution, I'd hate to be left deactivated for 6 months.

I sent them an email about it as I wont get a chance to phone them during their operating hours. Would suggest you do the same or call if you can and see if there is a solution, have seen others post the same issue on reddit etc. Havent seen a solution to it yet though.

Sent you a PM - My issue was resolved with maintenance was over. Its such a pain - I have to wait until April to set my account as primary again.

I have recently opened a new profile for US account, Have things now changed recently that games downloaded on US account are not working now or Sony has made changes to multi accounts in different regions?

Would assume the so called 'maintenance' from the other day is over at this stage but I checked this morning and still had the issue.

After I posted last night I went to my US account and opened FIFA, when still logged in I switched to my main account and I was able to play the game through it (still shows the lock symbol on the dashboard) so I was able to get around it that way but its far from ideal.

What issue did you have with the new US account? When your original issue went away were you able to play the games as normal on both accounts and it was just your US account didnt have the console as its primary one till you can do so in April or are your games still locked till then?

Advertisement