Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A victim of phishing - credit card details stolen & used.

Options
  • 14-10-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

The other morning I received an email purporting to come from Revenue and relating to a small (couple of hundred € ) tax refund.

It really looked kosher.

I stupidly completed the form which promised to refund the money directly to my credit card and thought nothing more of it.

Later that day, I received a call from Bank of Ireland credit card services saying that someone had tried to make a purchase with Media Markt for €1100+ using my card. They had stopped the transaction. Phew!

The guy I spoke with said that the conversation was being recorded for security purposes.

Towards the end of the conversation, I asked him if we should cancel the card and replace it? He said there was no need to. I could continue to use it.

This morning, I logged in and saw that a transaction, again with Media Markt, went through yesterday for almost €800.

This one was allowed through. I have no idea why.

I just now phoned BofI VISA. I explained that I had asked if it was OK to continue using the card, or should it be cancelled, etc..etc.. when I spoke to them two days ago.

They are now going to listen back to the recording and get back to me.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice?

I use this card for tiny amounts - filling the car with diesel etc.. - we have a joint card for bigger purchases.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If they, knowing that your card details had been compromised, advised you not to cancel it and that €800 was charged subsequent to the call, you should get that €800 back.

If they hadn't caught the first transaction and it had gone through, you would have been 100% liable. I'm sure they'll come back to you and clear the €800 and replace the card. If they don't, I'd escalate it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i'm surprised they didnt cancel the card after the first transaction, happened me earlier in the year and they cancelled the card straight away and refunded me the money, there was also a fraudulent transaction pending when they cancelled the card and they also refunded me this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

If they, knowing that your card details had been compromised, advised you not to cancel it and that €800 was charged subsequent to the call, you should get that €800 back.

If they hadn't caught the first transaction and it had gone through, you would have been 100% liable. I'm sure they'll come back to you and clear the €800 and replace the card. If they don't, I'd escalate it.

Good luck!

Hopefully, I don't have to. But, what does escalating involve?

If they deny that the recording exists, or that I didn't ask about whether or the card should be stopped, there's not a lot I can do about it.

The fact that the thieves went back to the same store might stand in my favour. It should have been an alert of sorts, methinks. I have never bought anything at Media Markt.

Many thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Hopefully, I don't have to. But, what does escalating involve?

If they deny that the recording exists, or that I didn't ask about whether or the card should be stopped, there's not a lot I can do about it.

The fact that the thieves went back to the same store might stand in my favour. It should have been an alert of sorts, methinks. I have never bought anything at Media Markt.

Many thanks.

D.

Tbh, I seriously doubt it will come to that. I had an esco with AIB a few years back. They listened to the call, apologised and refunded, no drama.

By escalate, I mean ask to speak to a supervisor/manager and explain the situation. If they say something isn't on the call that you are sure is, request a copy of the call be sent out to you. If they refuse, file a Data Access request and they'll have to send it to you.

But again, they'll most likely get it sorted for you off the bat and you catch more flies with honey etc.. They'll be eager to get this sorted for you!

Just got a call from them.........

1. They have cancelled my card.

2. They are issuing me a new one.

3. They have escalated it to a fraud case. Their fraud office will be in touch with me.

4. She said I should pay for any transactions on my credit card statement except those I have not made myself.

Since I pay my CC account by direct debit, how can I avoid the DD taking payment for the false transaction made yesterday?

Thanks again

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Towards the end of the conversation, I asked him if we should cancel the card and replace it? He said there was no need to. I could continue to use it.

Was this after you explained to him how they got your details? If so then it was a crazy answer, if not then it was not so unreasonable...

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Was this after you explained to him how they got your details? If so then it was a crazy answer, if not then it was not so unreasonable...

I don't remember the order of the conversation, but I do know for a fact that I told him how they got my details.

Thanks.

D.

3. They have escalated it to a fraud case. Their fraud office will be in touch with me.

4. She said I should pay for any transactions on my credit card statement except those I have not made myself.

Since I pay my CC account by direct debit, how can I avoid the DD taking payment for the false transaction made yesterday?

Thanks again

D.

Call the bank your current account is with and ask them to refuse the next DD payment for your BOI CC. Pay all the other transactions. Call BOI Visa Dept and ask them to note that, due to the ongoing fraud case, you have instructed the bank that holds your current account to refuse the next payment but that future Direct Debits will be honoured. If your current account is also with BOI, you can get this all done on one call, though they may need to transfer you around for this (not sure if they will but with AIB, their CC dept is totally separate so I dunno if BOI is the same).
    I don't remember the order of the conversation, but I do know for a fact that I told him how they got my details.

Thanks.

D.

Irrespective of when it was said, it was said. If they'd said that before you'd given further details, the onus is on them, the experts, to put all the info together and advise you accordingly. I wouldn't worry about it.

Small piece of advice that may prove unnecessary but worth doing just in case: at this point, when they're moving the query off to a different dept. and you're expecting a call from another person, it'd be a good idea to start writing down the dates, times and names of the people you've spoken to. Just in case you need to reference what was spoken about. A few notes about what was said is also a good idea, just to keep your thoughts focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to the Talk to..Bank of Ireland forum where BOI staff and fellow BOI customers will give you advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Thanks again

D.

Hi Dinarius,

Thanks again for contacting us on Boards.

We’re happy to hear a new card has been ordered for you.

In relation to your direct debit payments, if you’d like to send us a DM with your name and contact phone number we will be happy to arrange for one of our colleagues in the Credit Card Team to ring you.

Have a great day and please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Helen

• Advertisement

Message sent.

Thanks!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Hi Dinarius,

Did you get money back? How long did the fraud investigation take? A similar thing just happened to a friend of mine and I am wondering what my friend can do to get their money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

magicmoves wrote: »
    Hi Dinarius,

Did you get money back? How long did the fraud investigation take? A similar thing just happened to a friend of mine and I am wondering what my friend can do to get their money back.
    Hi magicmoves,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.ie.

Each fraud investigation is dealt with a on a case by case basis.

Your friend will need to contact our Fraud team on 016798993 & a colleague will be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Tara C

Advertisement