Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petrol station scam or error?

Options
  • 14-10-2015 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I purchased €50 diesel at a petrol station near me, also got sweets €2.20. Went to enter my receipt into spreadsheet as I claim Vat back on diesel and realised this: The receipt states €2.20 for sweets and €50 as cashback. So no mention of petrol and no VAT to claim! Could this be a mistake on their part or is there something more sinister here? Is there any point in calling in to try and get a proper receipt as its a loss of approx €9 vat to me?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Call in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely call into them - you need a VAT receipt at the very least.

The implication of a cashback means that the station requested €50 from the card company and then handed €50 from the till, leaving the till neutral. But in reality, the till should be €50 up as you paid and didn't request a cashback. So where did that €50 go? It's definitely something I would bring to the manager's attention. It could be a mistake, but it seems very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Firstly - get a DCI card. They email you a full vat invoice every week and will in most cases be a cent or 2 cheaper.

I reckon its an error as most fuel pump systems are connect to the tills. Probably the diesel was entered as a seperate sale and you should have received 2 receipts - where this can happen easily if you added the sweets after the cashier totalled the fuel sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dudara wrote: »
    It could be a mistake.....
    dessol wrote: »
    ..... or is there something more sinister here?

I'd say the latter. Going back is a must, and request to speak to the Mgr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

have you checked that you dont have two charges? one for €50 and one for €52.20?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Check your bank account online first to see how much has been taken out. If it is one transaction for €52.20, or if there is also a second one for €50.

If the till receipt shows a €50 cashback then there is a possibility they can claim that you potentially didn't actually pay for the fuel at all.

Get to the petrol station today, better still ring up, ask to speak to the manager, and make sure they are there when you call later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Can you claim VAT n petrol?

Anyway chances are they took the payment on their EFT machine as a cashback then applied it to their own system for the petrol. Either that or theyre gonna fill their own tank up before heading home for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

i'd say what most likely happened is the cashier missed the 5 key when entering the amount in the card machine and instead of starting again just added the 50 as cashback, then cashed off the fuel. The card machine and till would balance though so nobody would notice but you just wouldn't have got the VAT receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ssmith6287 wrote: »

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Anyway chances are they took the payment on their EFT machine as a cashback then applied it to their own system for the petrol. Either that or theyre gonna fill their own tank up before heading home for free

OP says he purchased diesel.

Just realised that the €50 was charged as Cashback - possibly messed up their machine totals and caused a few headaches on their end of day.

Maybe call the staion and let them know and ask if they can provide a receipt.

At the end of the day, assumign t was a staff member, it is 99% likely to be a simple error.

Its almost impossible these days for a retailer to scam vat - revenue cross reference everything and a retailer is obliged to keep all records for 6 years. - Even when I was changing till recently I had to have a copy of all files from old till system and left in the safe until 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dessol

Thanks for the replies. I'll call back there tomorrow and see what they have to say. will check bank ac in the meantime too. ..

The cash back probably paid the diesel bill - it could just be a rubbish point of sale system or an employee not knowing what they are doing.

Advertisement