Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave for Fathers

Options
  • 14-10-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

See the government have introduced 2 weeks parental leave for fathers,which would take effect from September.We are due mid January 2016 with our first, does it mean I will miss out on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yes, Im afriad so..

Also a thread on this here, for what its worth..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

barry75 wrote: »
    See the government have introduced 2 weeks parental leave for fathers,which would take effect from September.We are due mid January 2016 with our first, does it mean I will miss out on this?

Possibly. It would depend on what the wording is around the Bill. With maternity leave where I work at least two weeks must be taken prior to the birth and no fewer than 6 weeks post delivery. Maybe its the same for everyone?
    With the parental leave it may be that the 2 weeks has to be taken before the child is 6 months old or in the first 12 weeks or something.

Either way the introduction of the Bill in September comes after the madnate for the current government has expired and so it may never come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In the UK, the 2 weeks has to be taken within the first 8 weeks and can't start before the birth (link). I wouldn't be surprised if ends up being something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes you will miss out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Thanks for the reply's guys,

• Advertisement

barry75 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply's guys,

Sucks though doesn't it? I'm pregnant and was very excited about this news too but as our baby is due in June there ain't a hope that we'll avail of it this time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We'll also miss out which is a bummer.

Also, just to be clear.. Yesterday's budget refers to paternity leave and not parental leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

According this article it can be taken up to 28 weeks after the birth of the child..

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/news/paternity-leave-mandatory-for-employers-31611449.html

I really hope it is something like this as we are due in April so would just qualify for this if all goes to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sucks though doesn't it?

Is it really that bad? They aren't taking anything away from you.

Effects wrote: »
    Is it really that bad? They aren't taking anything away from you.

I meant it just sucks to miss out that's all :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My husband took a day off for baby 1,2 for baby 2 hen got 2 weeks paid for 3 and 4 weeks paid for #4.
    It is nice to get it but I was thinking about it and it will be really hard on families where mat/paternity benefit is not topped up.

Advertisement