Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 downstairs radiators not heating

Options
  • 14-10-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

Novice here....

Two of our downstairs rads aren't heating properly. If I turn off the upstairs ones there is a little heat getting to them but not much. With the upstairs rads on they're stone cold... It's gas heating, pressure on boiler is around 1 when running. Getting hot water fine but just can't seem to get all rads going at the same time.

Only two of the upstairs ones have TRVs, the rest are just caps. Pipes are getting warm beside the rads occasionally but the rads aren't heating.

Have bled and tried balancing as best I can with very little knowledge but no joy. House is only 13 years old, not sure if that rules out some things?

Would rather try to fix myself to save a few quid if I can so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

davelafaro wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Novice here....

Two of our downstairs rads aren't heating properly. If I turn off the upstairs ones there is a little heat getting to them but not much. With the upstairs rads on they're stone cold... It's gas heating, pressure on boiler is around 1 when running. Getting hot water fine but just can't seem to get all rads going at the same time.

Only two of the upstairs ones have TRVs, the rest are just caps. Pipes are getting warm beside the rads occasionally but the rads aren't heating.

Have bled and tried balancing as best I can with very little knowledge but no joy. House is only 13 years old, not sure if that rules out some things?

Would rather try to fix myself to save a few quid if I can so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave

Turn on heating. Turn off every radiator that gets hot. Close balance valve at cylinder fully. Your cold rads should get hot then

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davelafaro

Thanks @Dtp1979, I'll give that a try. Which valve is usually the balancing valve?
    Also, would that make it last? As in, if I open the valve again after the rads get hot should I have heat in all of them then?

Thanks a million for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

AM in my house 20yrs.. had the same problem in the 2 x Double Radiators downstairs.

It seems after time they fill with 'sludge' as a result of years of use etc.

Had to get them taken off by a plumber and washed out through a garden hose and then reinstalled.

worked a treat...back to red-hot now.

Might be worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davelafaro

Thanks @Masala. I have wondered if it's just sludge myself. May be time to get the hose out......

Advertisement