Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot Plants - 100% shaded area

Options
  • 14-10-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi guys

I want to put pot plants into a shaded area. No sunlight hits spot at all. Have I any options? preferably something that grows to 2/3 feet high, has leaves all year round and maybe even flowers

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Berginia is one that will flower in shade. Ferns. Some hostas (variagated ones will tend to lose their light stripes). Hellebores (christmas rose). Zephrine Drouhin rose.

I also have a shrub that i have forgotten the name of but it is happily growing in shade - small glossy dark green leaf, strongly scented small white flower in winter and a black berry - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

wow the Zephrine Drouhin rose look lovely as do Berginia. actually would plants like basil and mint grow in the shade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

looksee wrote: »
    I also have a shrub that i have forgotten the name of but it is happily growing in shade - small glossy dark green leaf, strongly scented small white flower in winter and a black berry - anyone?

Sarcococca aka sweet box?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Sarcococca aka sweet box?

That's the one! - all that coco bit in the middle loses me everytime!

OP while mint will grow pretty well anywhere (if you put it in a pot don't put anything else in with it, mint will strangle it) for nice fresh leaves a bit of sun would be appreciated. Difficult to grow basil in full sun here in Ireland, in shade it will not have a chance.

Advertisement