Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing Rates - school pays direct

• 14-10-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Im subbing in a community school and have been told that it is Dept rate for sick cover and all other days are paid direct by school via cheque at 19 euro and hour. Anyone else heard of this? Is this right. Bit deflated as am scrambling for hours as it is and i now barely cover childcare:-((

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

abra1 wrote: »
    Im subbing in a community school and have been told that it is Dept rate for sick cover and all other days are paid direct by school via cheque at 19 euro and hour. Anyone else heard of this? Is this right. Bit deflated as am scrambling for hours as it is and i now barely cover childcare:-((

I'm in the same position, did a few days school paid so waiting to see how much I'll get. Did they tell you it would be school paid when they contacted you?

Also childcare is very expensive. Are you using a crèche? I know community crèches can charge you depending on how much you earn , with subvention if that's any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 abra1

No certainly wasnt aware of it until i was in. Its the only school im getting hours in so feel like i have to be grateful but just cant believe how poor the day can work out at. Like 100 a day if you end up with 1/ 2 periods off in the day. When you take away childcare etc, gosh its pretty slim. School is very good to be fair and who knows what the future holds and im getting experience but jesus, now i see why NQT's are so disheartened.

Not going to uproot the kids now they are settled and with a private childminder so getting best rate possible really. Just have to put up or shut up i guess. If any one can point to the appropriate circular on what days are dept paid and which are not, would be most greatful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

No certainly wasnt aware of it until i was in. Its the only school im getting hours in so feel like i have to be grateful but just cant believe how poor the day can work out at. Like 100 a day if you end up with 1/ 2 periods off in the day. When you take away childcare etc, gosh its pretty slim. School is very good to be fair and who knows what the future holds and im getting experience but jesus, now i see why NQT's are so disheartened.

Not going to uproot the kids now they are settled and with a private childminder so getting best rate possible really. Just have to put up or shut up i guess. If any one can point to the appropriate circular on what days are dept paid and which are not, would be most greatful.

I was the same , just delighted to get a few days work. School were very good to check in with me about the school pay before they brought me in. I thought it was better than me sitting idle at home .

Hope you get more DES work too. Have you gone in with your cv's to all schools within a reasonable distance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If they hire you as a sub it's irrelevant to you weather its sick leave or covering a teacher going on a school tour etc. I assume you are qualified and as such their is a rate of pay you are entitled to.
    What I suspect is happening is the school is using the laws of supply and demand here and chancing there arm here by paying a lower rate for cover that would not be covered by the department and their allocation of S&S is unable to meet. They know there are many people out there who will do anything to get their foot in the door.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I'm in the same position, did a few days school paid so waiting to see how much I'll get. Did they tell you it would be school paid when they contacted you?

Also childcare is very expensive. Are you using a crèche? I know community crèches can charge you depending on how much you earn , with subvention if that's any help.

Only if you have an income from social welfare or a medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Why are they only paying you €19 per hour? Check out salary scales on ASTI website. Are you a qualified? If you are you should be getting the rates as asti website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Only if you have an income from social welfare or a medical card.

I think you should get a reduced rate if you are signing on for credits too ?

I havn't a clue what the rate is but I remember when I started out I was subbing for an ETB (around 2003ish) and got something like 35 per hour IIRC!
    19 sounds a bit low. Maybe just ring the union or have a look on their websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I havn't a clue what the rate is but I remember when I started out I was subbing for an ETB (around 2003ish) and got something like 35 per hour IIRC!
    19 sounds a bit low. Maybe just ring the union or have a look on their websites.

Yes I think the school are taking advantage of the OP considering when you can get €11.30 per hour in Lidl and they say that only 20% of staff get this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

abra1 wrote:

You need to ring union ASAP. The rates for subbing are much higher than 19 an hour. Unless it's a private school they cannot pay you less per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I got over 20 pounds (yes old Irish punts!) per hour when I started subbing in the early 90's. Its pretty shocking to be getting €19 an hour almost 25 years later! Get on to your union asap!

Is it privately paid by the school or dept. paid.

What's written on your payslip OP?

Edit: Sorry, you said it was directly by cheque... so it's privately paid. I'd wonder is there someone claiming the full amount from the dept for the subwork and pocketing the difference?

OR.. maybe the dept wont cover the subbing cost so the school has taken on the cost, maybe find out what the situation of the person you are covering is OP, maybe the dept. isn't recognising their sick leave.

Advertisement