Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Apologies if this has been posted before but I bought this on the Amazon UK sale for my 8-year old son and want to know if tiktok and the Google Play Store will work on it

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10-Kids-Edition/dp/B07KD7K4B1

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

sticker wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted before but I bought this on the Amazon UK sale for my 8-year old son and want to know if tiktok and the Google Play Store will work on it

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10-Kids-Edition/dp/B07KD7K4B1

It is possible to put Google Play Store but it's a bit awkward, if you Google it you will find the steps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneglynn

I have just bought 2 x Fire HD8 kids edition tablets, I have set them up and thanks to all for the advice on this thread, great to have this done before the big day :)

So far I have completed the following:

1. Unlocked the unlimited freetime content - used my Parcel Motel Address for this and worked instantly
    2. Sideloaded google playstore to the parent profile so now have full access to all those play store apps - Youtube, Youtube kids, Netflix etc

Last piece of the puzzle, I have downloaded Youtube Kids to the parent profile, just checking if anyone has been able to add this app to the Childs profile?

Thanks!

How did you change the address to a UK one? I tried to make my default address a British one but the Kids Unlimited still knew I was a Paddy :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Looks like Brexit has fooked over these devices. Nearly everything I checked this morning is geo blocked by amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bought 3 back in October for christmas. Have been working ok until today. From reading, VPN solutions are fragile (netblocks get filtered, OpenVPN signature) and would be hassle for the kids to enable and maintain, defeating the purpose.
    similarly, sideloading YT Kids has reportedly had issues being shared to the kids profile.
    Will likely be returning them before the January extended window expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 caoimheq

My dd is very upset that her new Kindle Fire kids edition is now geo blocked. If anyone finds a workaround to solve this please post here!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Is this affecting everyone with a kids unlimited subscription using a parcelmotel address? Does it affect the books and games or just the videos? I've told the kids not to connect to wifi so we can squeeze a few more weeks out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

I'm devastated. Bought first one on prime day, was so impressed bought another 4 for friends children for Christmas. Only realised today all the videos now not working. Got onto amazon absolutely fuming
    I sideloaded my vpn with no joy and unable to add it to child's profile. I asked amazon if amazon germany offer same subscription and could I use that one, they just told me to ask them but there doesn't appear to be a chat for germany just email them, so furiously googling and waiting.

gavjd wrote:
    Is this affecting everyone with a kids unlimited subscription using a parcelmotel address? Does it affect the books and games or just the videos? I've told the kids not to connect to wifi so we can squeeze a few more weeks out of it.

It seems to be just the videos. We were watching ben and holly on new years Eve
    then today tried to watch the gruffalo, can't even watch them american cocomelon videos. Then the painful realisation of fecking brexit dawned on me.

Wonder could we subscribe for germany, change our address like we did for uk subscription. Wonder would you have same content in germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

Just downloaded the expressvpn app and it seems to be working, on a weeks free trial at the moment so I’ll see how I get on!

DubJJ wrote:
    Just downloaded the expressvpn app and it seems to be working, on a weeks free trial at the moment so I’ll see how I get on!

So you sideloaded it to the adult profile and your child's profile content is working?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

I didn’t need to side load it as it’s available on the Amazon App Store. I then just added the app to the child’s profile and logged into it from there.
    The child’s profile and the adults profile are actually classed as 2 different devices, so if you just activate it in the adults profile it won’t automatically work on the child’s profile.

DubJJ wrote:
    I didn’t need to side load it as it’s available on the Amazon App Store. I then just added the app to the child’s profile and logged into it from there. The child’s profile and the adults profile are actually classed as 2 different devices, so if you just activate it in the adults profile it won’t automatically work on the child’s profile.

Thanks got it figured out last night.
    Think I was blinded by rage, and constant demands to fix the tablet 🀦
    Now to decide whether to subscribe to express or not

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Hi folks,

totally confused here also, would be great if someone had some insight. Got the tablet for Christmas for my son and like everyone else, used parcel motel UK address to access free content, now gone.

I have 2 questions which someone may be able to help me with:

1. Now that we have lost the free subscription, can I re-register the tablet with our Irish address and just pay for the subscription so that he can access all the content?

2. Can Netflix and YouTube Kids be transferred from the adult profile to the kids profile?

Thanks a mill - essential lockdown survival depends on this tablet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

I don't believe the subscription will work with an ROI address at all. At least hasn't worked for me anyway.
    You can add Netflix to child's account if you downloaded the app from Amazon app store.
    Anything downloaded from play store seemingly cannot be transferred across again personal experience, though I'm no tech expert and simply a case of trial and error with downloading apps.
    I couldn't find YouTube kids on Amazon's appstore, so couldn't assign it to my son's account.

SligoL wrote:
    1. Now that we have lost the free subscription, can I re-register the tablet with our Irish address and just pay for the subscription so that he can access all the content?

We haven't lost the free subscription, we still have all the apps and games we just can't watch the videos like peppa thomas and the likes.
    Yes as said above you can add netflix to child's profile easy enough as netflix is available on amazons app store.
    If you were willing to pay for the subscription would you consider buying express vpn (€80pa/€10pm) it is alot more expensive than the vpn I already have but the only one I could get working on it. You can then use it on 5 devices so I use it on my tv aswell for the uk players.

SligoL wrote:
    2. Can Netflix and YouTube Kids be transferred from the adult profile to the kids profile?

You could sideload youtube to the adults profile. But in my case anyway defeats the purpose of the child profile to monitor usage

Just to note seesaw is also available on the amazon app store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

We still have a lot of stuff working.
    Audible, some books comics and magazines etc also work. A lot of the videos work and also the curated websites

My kids use it mainly to play games and they all seem to be working and I can add additional ones via the Amazon apps store
    Kids also use it to watch Netflix and Disney so it’s perfect for that

Going to look into adding Google Classroom to the tablet as well as it seems we are going to be home schooling for the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

so here do they use netflix and disney on the adult profile rather than the kids profile?

SligoL wrote:
    so here do they use netflix and disney on the adult profile rather than the kids profile?

You can add them both to the child's profile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

SligoL wrote: »

On their own profile
    Just share the app in the dashboard
    https://parents.amazon.co.uk/

Advertisement