Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 10 Start, Search and Windows buttons have all stopped working!!

• 14-10-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The Start, Search and Windows button (as well as the Fn button it seems) have all stopped working on my Win 10 laptop which is a good spec Lenovo X1 Carbon.

I'm in a tight corner trying to get some work done for 6pm and can spend time fixing the core issue later but for now can anyone suggest how I can get an application e.g. the Paint app to launch without the start button working???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bring up task manager (Ctrl alt delete) and restart explorer.exe that should temporarily fix it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Bring up task manager (Ctrl alt delete) and restart explorer.exe that should temporarily fix it for you.

Thanks AC, tried that but no joy and now explorer.exe is no longer listed in Task Manager as a running app.

I ran sfc /scannow from Powershell as an Admin and it confirmed there were corrupt files it could not fix so now I'm running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and waiting to see if that will solve the problem. Not good timing when I have a deadline to meet :mad:

For future ref this is where I got the instructions for the above from - http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

I've seen some reports online today of the KB3097617 update causing problems, particularly if Norton is installed. This update was released last night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks AC, tried that but no joy and now explorer.exe is no longer listed in Task Manager as a running app.

I ran sfc /scannow from Powershell as an Admin and it confirmed there were corrupt files it could not fix so now I'm running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and waiting to see if that will solve the problem. Not good timing when I have a deadline to meet :mad:

For future ref this is where I got the instructions for the above from - http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

It's just down as Windows Explorer now. When you open Task Manager you have to click more details to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

HI guys,

FYI I ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth successfully and after a reboot all was back to working order.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement