Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental price increase for year on year contract

Options
  • 14-10-2015 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question.

I rent a house, which we get a new contract each year on the the date we initially signed for the house.
    we are due our new contract in 2 weeks time.

Can we get a rental increase in this contract? we have been there 5 years now at this stage, but we keep getting 1 year contracts.
    No mention yet of a rental increase at all, but just asking as the market rent has gone up a small bit in the area/

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can, but you need 30 days notice I think. So you could get notice tomorrow that your rent will increase in 4 weeks and this would be reflected in the contract (first month would have two weeks lower and two weeks higher).

Or else the new contract could state that your rent will increase for your second month.

Basically rent can be increased once a year, with 30 days notice, but not in the middle of a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

So for an increase I would still need to be told.

My big worry is that I will just get a new contract landed into me that has a higher rental price on this and be a case of like it or lump it

Advertisement