Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€700-€800 Gaming Build

Options
  • 14-10-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €700-€800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Fallout4, Battlefront) / some Video Editing & Graphic Design

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22'/24'

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/ DVD Drive

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Next 2 Weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

I've made an attempt at putting a parts list together myself, although I have very little experience! This is probably all wrong but here you go:

RSmpEin.jpg

7kE3Mns.jpg
    Total is around €750.

Let me know any suggestions or changes as I'm sure something is wrong!

Is the Motherboard ok for that case?
    Also I'm not sure if i need a wireless card or not?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks sound to me, I wouldn't make any changes.

Get a pair of homeplugs instead of wireless cards

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

Cheers Digital, I actually took you're €600 build from another thread, fits perfectly for my budget.

Just unsure of myself when buying the right parts / different brands etc. I changed the GTX 960 to Asus because I know its a well known brand.

I put everything through PC Parts Picker to check compatibility and got this:

• Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case has front panel USB 3.0 ports, but the ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard does not have onboard USB 3.0 headers.
    • Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs.
    • The Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 350mm long, but video cards over 210mm may block drive bays. Since the Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card is 215mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.
    Do I need a different case?

Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Gigabyte card is probably shorter, they make smallish cards.

Yeah the BIOS update may be hard got around, I'm not sure as it differs from board to board.

You could put another €20 or so into it and get a H97M board for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

video editing and graphic design programs like adobe, this is coming from some one who lives in photoshop and gta 5 Fx8350 is seriously good been using it for 3 years. I edit 3 to 6k of pictures a week and while many intel folk will sing there praises, Your other option is an fx 8350 and its a very very reliable cpu. i get 60 fps on gta v to give you an example on high to ultra settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If gaming is the primary use the i5 is a much better option. It's faster than the 8350 in games, runs cooler and uses less power. There is also far more longevity in the 1150 socket, AM3+ is totally dead.

• Advertisement

Gaming will be the primary use, so I'll stick with the i5!

Also is there much difference between 2 4GB sticks of RAM and 1 8GB stick? I was reading online having 2 sticks is faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pacly wrote: »
    Gaming will be the primary use, so I'll stick with the i5!

Also is there much difference between 2 4GB sticks of RAM and 1 8GB stick? I was reading online having 2 sticks is faster?

~15% faster in apps that are designed to simulate best use scenarios or data-crunching (scientific use, essentially).
    ~5% faster in apps that have a practical use for it, audio/visual workstations.
    Games see anywhere from 0-1% boost, totally worth sticking with 1x8GB and getting an extra 8GB whenever you feel the need as multitasking w/ a lot of programs open (browsers) will gobble up RAM.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to all. I would never have attempted to build my own pc without this forum!

It was a really worthwhile and very rewarding experience!

Thanks again! (posting from my new PC :) )

Advertisement