Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US iPhone 6 work in Ireland?

• 14-10-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I've done a fair bit of googling, and searching on here but haven't found anything definitive.

My wife is going to the US next week for work. Would an unlocked iphone 6 bought in an apple store work fully over here? I've seen some talk of 4G incompatibility?

I understand the warranty would be US specific, but I think I'd get over that.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Once its unlocked it will work. Im not 100% sure on the LTE bands used over in the US compared to here tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would there be much of a saving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it will work. loads of threads on this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Would there be much of a saving?

€654.01 USA
    €759.00 IRELAND

Save about 105 euro....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

€654.01 USA
    €759.00 IRELAND

Save about 105 euro....

I think the op was referring to the iPhone 6 so not sure what kind of saving there would be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

€654.01 USA
    €759.00 IRELAND

Save about 105 euro....

Regarding the saving, I did ask about the iphone 6, but that was because I didn't think the 6s was readily available yet. Having looked at the apple site, it seems they might be. An unlocked 16 gig 6s in the US is about €570 and over here it's €759. So the saving would be closer to €190 (excluding any customs charges which may be incurred).

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Once its unlocked it will work. Im not 100% sure on the LTE bands used over in the US compared to here tho.

You lost me at LTE. I did google before my original post, and every thread I found included confusing talk about LTE bands. It'd really appreciate if someone could dumb it down a bit, and explain if there are likely to be limitations of a US iphone over here as a result of these LTE bands. Anyone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

But what if they check your wife's back and see the phone? You'd be charged if they do see it. Or are you getting your to put it in her pocket so it seems it hers? Just wondering how your going to do it, as I've a friend back in America who could bring back me a iPhone 6s Plus too.

Thanks.

But what if they check your wife's back and see the phone? You'd be charged if they do see it. Or are you getting your to put it in her pocket so it seems it hers? Just wondering how your going to do it, as I've a friend back in America who could bring back me a iPhone 6s Plus too.

Thanks.

If they do there would be a charge. There's a good chance they won't. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Do you not have to pay sales tax on top of the purchase price as well?

guil wrote: »
    Do you not have to pay sales tax on top of the purchase price as well?

Depends on the state. Thankfully New Hampshire is 0% as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

You will be grand op, I got my iphone 6 64gb and saved about €140(including ny state tax),It works 100% for me here on three.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    You will be grand op, I got my iphone 6 64gb and saved about €140(including ny state tax),It works 100% for me here on three.

Thanks Bummer. Just one question - does your 4g work? All the LTE talk confuses me, but I believe it's to do with 4g, which is why I ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

RonnieL wrote: »
    Thanks Bummer. Just one question - does your 4g work? All the LTE talk confuses me, but I believe it's to do with 4g, which is why I ask.

Yea,My 4G works here for three, Iv never tried for the other networks tho with the other bands but i think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doctor Bojangles

RonnieL wrote: »
    Regarding the saving, I did ask about the iphone 6, but that was because I didn't think the 6s was readily available yet. Having looked at the apple site, it seems they might be. An unlocked 16 gig 6s in the US is about €570 and over here it's €759. So the saving would be closer to €190 (excluding any customs charges which may be incurred).

You lost me at LTE. I did google before my original post, and every thread I found included confusing talk about LTE bands. It'd really appreciate if someone could dumb it down a bit, and explain if there are likely to be limitations of a US iphone over here as a result of these LTE bands. Anyone?!

Are the prices quoted on apple.com before or after tax?

Things in the states are usually priced before tax and if this is the case then the phone will cost I think 10% more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Are the prices quoted on apple.com before or after tax
    Before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The LTE will work fine it's not as much of an issue with the 6 and 6s as it was with the 5,5c,5s they had so many different models all of which had limited LTE bands the models of the 6 and 6s usually support all LTE bands worldwide.

I went to the USA for 3 months this summer my 5s wouldn't get LTE as it lacked band 4 for T-Mobile and band 17 for AT&T so I only got 3G they label 3G(HSPA) as 4G over there which is annoying as 3G is not 4G even with newer standards of 3G.. Anyway now I have a iPhone 6 which I got in September when I go back I'll get LTE On either AT&T and T-Mobile it also works on 4G/LTE here in Ireland which is good.

Advertisement