Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI reject Lansdowne Road Agreement.

Options
  • 14-10-2015 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

How long before the next vote?

74% NO
    26% YES

31.5% turnout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Absolutely delighted. There should be no agreements until there is equality for new teachers. For a new teacher who is equally qualified and equally experienced to be paid 30%+ less than a colleague for doing the same job is a disgrace. No Union can stand over this. We should not even be asked to vote again until this discrimination is rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted. There should be no agreements until there is equality for new teachers. For a new teacher who is equally qualified and equally experienced to be paid 30%+ less than a colleague for doing the same job is a disgrace. No Union can stand over this. We should not even be asked to vote again until this discrimination is rectified.

I agree.

I also personally want an end to the Croke Park hours.

I'm prepared to do PTMs outside school but that's IT

No doubt Pat King is arranging the ballots for the second vote already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

31% turnout? That's very low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

31% turnout? That's very low!

It is.

A sign that members of the ASTI have disengaged from their union especially in relation to their ballots.

This is what happens when you take the piss and keep running ballots until you get you result you want. . . . People lose faith in the democratic process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I know new PS are on 10% lower scale.

Where is the other 20% from?

No allowances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

31% is a low turnout but it's still a high NO from those members that bothered to vote.

TUI ballot not closed until 5pm (now basically). Wonder will we hear result before tomorrow?

Geuze wrote: »
    I know new PS are on 10% lower scale.

Where is the other 20% from?

No allowances?
    Allowance and starting on pt 1 of scale, instead of pt 3 traditionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

That low turnout is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

doc_17 wrote: »
    That low turnout is a joke

Time for the ASTI to organise votes in the workplace like the TUI. When the school steward hands you a ballot paper and posts it back you will get a higher turnout. Also the union would save a lot of cash on postage, by sending multiple ballots to each school in one large envelope, as opposed to one out to every individual member.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Time for the ASTI to organise votes in the workplace like the TUI. When the school steward hands you a ballot paper and posts it back you will get a higher turnout. Also the union would save a lot of cash on postage, by sending multiple ballots to each school in one large envelope, as opposed to one out to every individual member.

Spot on.
    Such an easy solution.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping Christie turns things on it's head! It's time.

TUI turnout 59 %

Yes 8%
    No 92 %

Now that's what I call a mandate. Ingrid Miley won't be able to pick holes in that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TUI turnout 59 %

Yes 8%
    No 92 %

Now that's what I call a mandate. Ingrid Miley won't be able to pick holes in that result.
    Mother of God!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

TUI turnout 59 %

Yes 8%
    No 92 %

She fairly picked a few holes in the ASTI turnout....

With all the other unions acceptin the LRA, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

There are fempi legislations in place now to impose the LRA on groups like the ASTI & TUI who have rejected the deal.
    Sanctions can be imposed on groups who "repudiate" the deal according to Miley

Makes a mockery of the democratic process really.

Oh, I see you voted against what we wanted, we'll make up legislation to ensure we can do what we want anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

She fairly picked a few holes in the ASTI turnout....

With all the other unions acceptin the LRA, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

There are fempi legislations in place now to impose the LRA on groups like the ASTI & TUI who have rejected the deal.
    Sanctions can be imposed on groups who "repudiate" the deal according to Miley

Makes a mockery of the democratic process really.

Oh, I see you voted against what we wanted, we'll make up legislation to ensure we can do what we want anyway.

fempi legislations won't hold much water soon hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Why are the teachers' unions the last to vote on Lansdowne Road? Design or coincidence? Given that they've delivered two massive 'No' votes to it, it's fortunate for this government that they didn't lead by example before all the other unions voted.

A decent turnout from TUI, and a fantastically high 'No' result - 92%! An abysmal turnout from the ASTI once again - when will the penny drop that they/we have to organise the voting at school level? - but also a resounding 'No' to the attempt by this government to make emergency legislation a permanent feature in our working conditions long after Howlin, Burton and the rest of this "Do as we say, not as we do" government have gone off on their recently-increased ministerial pensions.

I'd love to see them try not to give us back the s&s money.
    If they renege on that one we'll shut the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think we need a standard letter that we all send our TDs about legislation they voted on and the concern they are going back on agreements that ARE in place I.e. Hra

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think we need a standard letter that we all send our TDs about legislation they voted on and the concern they are going back on agreements that ARE in place I.e. Hra

Check out Equal Pay for NQTs on Facebook or Twitter. They have lots of template letters to send.

Great results.

In regards to the ASTI turnout. I did not hear the Government complaining when the INTO voted yes with a turnout of less than 50%

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This could have a direct knock-on affect of the 2,260 new teaching posts announced in this weeks budget.
    To be honest, I would have thought this would be viewed as good news seeing that so many new teachers are being given a job?

The no vote is good news? Damn right it is. There is absolutely nothing in it addressing the disgraceful new conditions of employment that new teachers are being appointed under. It has nothing to do with the reduction in the teacher ratios (long overdue) and should not be mixed up with it.

Similarly I'm already pissed off with the government and media trotting out the "we will withhold S and S payment", that is not part of the new agreement so F off and pay us the money you owe us under the current agreement. We fulfilled our part of the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

jank wrote: »
    This could have a direct knock-on affect of the 2,260 new teaching posts announced in this weeks budget.
    To be honest, I would have thought this would be viewed as good news seeing that so many new teachers are being given a job?

Are these the same teaching jobs which are going to arise due to lowering JC teachers timetables by one 40 min period ????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

solerina wrote: »
    Are these the same teaching jobs which are going to arise due to lowering JC teachers timetables by one 40 min period ????

Or only some of the jobs that have been lost over the past years.

700 second level schools
    3300 primary schools
    less than 2500 jobs isn't really much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I'm a member of dublin south west. I never see any new pay scale teachers at meetings. How do you expect union to take you seriously?? I'm sure you attend branch meetings but your age group rarely do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Spot on.
    Such an easy solution.
    Jesus if They can't see the importance of the ballot then they deserve everything coming to them. I know some teachers didn't vote because they are near retirement and feel they don't want to impose but the rest deserve to be screwed over

Off topic, I just read my earlier reply. Man I was in a bad mood! 3rd year PT meetings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

How do you expect union to take you seriously??

Because a union is meant to look out for the most vulnerable members in its ranks.

• Advertisement

Because a union is meant to look out for the most vulnerable members in its ranks.
    IF they are members, most in our place haven't bothered joining. You can only be represented if you sign up.

Advertisement