Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McVitie's Penguin Bars

Options
  • 14-10-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Got a pack of penguin bars recently and they taste horrible. I'm not sure if its the chocolate that has changed but there is definitely an weird taste from them.
    Anyone else notice it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Horrible might be going a bit far but i agree they definitely dont make them like they used to. The biggest culprit for me is the biscuit is too dry and crunchy which makes it less palatable whereas the old bar had a soft even break off on the bite and there was more cohesiveness on each bite. These new ones can splinter and biscuit crumbs break off elsewhere on the bite.
    There was just more of a moist richness from the old penguins. Eating one was like a nurturing ritual of sorts like tilting a whiskey in a glass but these new ones have no character and are penguin only by name sadly. Just no interest in them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I found the opposite actually.
    I always thought they were boring when I was a kid; dry and bland.
    I had one recently and it was lovely and chocolatey. I would definitely buy these on a regular basis now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've recently tried the Aldi version - Arctic bars.
    Every bit as good!
    Try the mint ones.... fantastic!
    It's like the tasty love-child of a penguin and a viscount!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ I just realised I said Aldi, but I meant Lidl!!
    I think Aldi do have Penguin type bars, but they don't do the amazing mint ones found in Lidl :)

Advertisement