Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Brite - Restoration Logs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That came up well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
    How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »
    Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
    How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

I did a macintosh classic a good few years ago and it's still nice and clean with no re-yellowing.
    But i guess it just depends on the plastic they used in each particular batch of consoles/computers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
    How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Danick wrote: »
    Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
    How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

I used a large cardboard box designed for storing documents, so it has a lid and doesn't let any light in. I then lined the box with tin foil, all sides, bottom, and inside of the lid. This means any UV light is bounced around inside the box, and hits the target from all angles.

I mounted x2 12" Fluoresent UV tubes on the inside of the box lid, so they're emitting light downwards and to the sides, which is then bounced around by the tin foil. I got these from a user here who's name escapes me, I'll give you the make/model of the lights later in the week if I can find the details.

The peroxide came straight from boots, it's a cream called Jerome Russell Bblonde, though I can't find it on their site anymore. It can be got on eBay though, will throw a few links up later in the week or tomorrow if I can. It's very cheap to buy, and goes a long way.

Other than that all you need is an old newspaper to place the console on when you're applying the cream, and some decent rubber gloves as it's very harsh on the skin. Then all you need is time, treatment, wash, treatment, wash, etc. Will reupload the pictures in a day or two

Thanks Inviere for taking the time to reply - I can't wait to see the pics - I'll check boots for that cream tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Apologies for the delay, pics of the light box build process as promised:

20151014_125845.jpg

20151014_132714.jpg

20151014_132755.jpg

20151014_133322.jpg

20151014_133345.jpg

20151014_133411.jpg

20151015_182744.jpg

20151015_184051.jpg

20151015_184527.jpg

20151015_184749.jpg

20151015_184819.jpg

20151017_130555.jpg

20151018_122028.jpg

20151018_122032.jpg

Hi Inviere - thanks so much for posting these pics - I'll start collecting all the necessary equipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement