Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Start (was Introducing the New Boards.ie!)

Options
  • 14-10-2015 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Update: 20:15

Hey folks,

Something's gone awry with the cookie for setting the test on and off, so instead of trying to sort it out now, we're going to remove all the notices and chalk this one up as something of a false start.

If any of you are still on the beta version of the site and want to turn it off, the "Turn Off Beta" link definitely works on the home page only, it doesn't seem to be working within the rest of the site.

We'll come at it fresh tomorrow and get some of these issues sorted before pushing the notices out again.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sorry Dav, page not found when you click on the link.....
    (IPhone 5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

404 on touch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭amber2

Refresh page or When you come Out of the page and go back in its working, I'm using touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

404 on touch :pac:

Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Refresh the page or click onto the home page and you should be seeing the new site.

• Advertisement

Got to the beta. No option on touch to check PMs?

Then it wouldn't let me turn it off til I exited boards and manually typed in the address of what I wanted :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Talk about an anticlimax. It doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Straight through on iPad/Chrome from Desktop site.

Put me back onto the beta and won't let me turn it off :( 404 when I try to turn it off, refreshing doesn't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

There isn't a "my forums" tab on the touch version, or am I missing it? That's super handy, not having it would probably drive me away from pone browsing

• Advertisement

Can't turn it off now with the turn beta off
    Option.

How do I quote??

Also not having a go to last post option is awful!

Doesn't seem to be an option to go back to the homepage from a thread either?

Here's a screenshot of the 'no PMs section' I mentioned

Edit: keep getting an error when I try to upload the screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Being completely honest, I don't like it. There's very little uniform and it's very busy, but that could be because of it being squished to the left of the screen. I also don't like how "My Forums" aren't centered, since they don't open up other options, although the whole site is left aligned. The page numbers are also way too big and intruding, but the sizing does seem a bit all over the place. In my own opinion, it's too much, too cluttered/squished and not at all Boards. It would be too annoying to use and would cut my time on Boards considerably (although maybe that's not a bad thing :P ).

Where are the notifications/thanks etc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

None of the Talk To Logos are appearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The My Forums and PMs and all the rest on mobile devices are up here in the top corner, see attached.

365509.jpg

Dav wrote: »
    The My Forums and PMs and all the rest on mobile devices are up here in the top corner, see attached.

Odd. Everything above the banner announcing the change simply isn't showing up on my phone. Web page is starting at the banner.

Managed to get the beta off by refreshing seven times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In beta your attachment doesn't show up. You laugh you lose is just a mess of blank posts.

Odd. Everything above the banner announcing the change simply isn't showing up on my phone. Web page is starting at the banner.

Managed to get the beta off by refreshing seven times :pac:

Mine was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

When I click on a thread I get brought to the first post rather than the last post I read? Am I missing something here?

On Chrome on a laptop.

I think it looks a bit more modern definitely, however some of the changes I'm hoping I'll get used to quickly but don't feel intuitive from the get go

• Advertisement

Also on the home page its showing that I'm subbed to threads I most definitely am not subbed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just had a look at the menu, i definitely like that on chrome, will give it a gander on the phone in a few mins

Unread threads need to be bolded and times should be on the last post, not 'today'. Going to a forum and having to click a thread then click the last page and then scroll down to find you've already read it will be a pain long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

How do i get the old boards back.... im not liking this new set up at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Kind of like it. A few suggestions :-

1. The forum menu that drops down from the top takes up waaaay too much of the screen.

2. Can't see if there's a way to skip to a certain page of a thread (or even the last page) from the forum view

3. I now need to click two things to get to my followed threads. Needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Tried it. Can't be doing with it.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm guessing the reason I have huge wasted space on the right is because I have adblock on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Stickies seem to be gone in all the fora?
    Charter null and void? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Just wondering how long the old site will be kept for before it is switched off. I don't like change generally (good or bad :) )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Don't do it Dav! Don't ruin this site! The Beta version looks disgusting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement