Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripadvisor awards 2015.

Options
  • 14-10-2015 8:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Overall Kilkenny has performed badly but there are still loads of positives.

We obviously like our food with two restaurants in the top ten fine dining, Züni at no. 10 and Rinuccini at no. 7. Newlands lodge B&B on the Kells road was second best B&B in Ireland, which is next to impossible to get and just behind them in no.3 was Lawcus farm guest house in Stonyford. The Newpark got no.1 for families. Mount Juliet got 17 in the luxury hotel catagory. Bravo to all there.

As a destination, we were outside the top ten, which I'm surprised at. No hotels featured in the top 25.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Very disappointing but the number of coaches still parked outside the castle is reassuring. Still a couple of good events coming up too with Kilkenomics and savour. (or have I missed one/both of them!?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Very disappointing but the number of coaches still parked outside the castle is reassuring. Still a couple of good events coming up too with Kilkenomics and savour. (or have I missed one/both of them!?)

I think savor is around the October bank holiday and Kilkenomics is in November some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Overall Kilkenny has performed badly but there are still loads of positives.

We obviously like our food with two restaurants in the top ten fine dining, Züni at no. 10 and Rinuccini at no. 7. Newlands lodge B&B on the Kells road was second best B&B in Ireland, which is next to impossible to get and just behind them in no.3 was Lawcus farm guest house in Stonyford. The Newpark got no.1 for families. Mount Juliet got 17 in the luxury hotel catagory. Bravo to all there.

As a destination, we were outside the top ten, which I'm surprised at. No hotels featured in the top 25.

Isn't this based on visitor experience? Not entirely surprised, though I haven't seen the actual results. Kilkenny is generally expensive, hotels in particular and at busy times food/service can leave a bit to be desired in certain places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    Isn't this based on visitor experience? Not entirely surprised, though I haven't seen the actual results. Kilkenny is generally expensive, hotels in particular and at busy times food/service can leave a bit to be desired in certain places.

It is based on feedback yes. Kilkenny is expensive, last year the fourth most expensive on the island of Ireland according to hotels.com. I think though if you shop around you can get good deals if you book far enough in advance or through websites. No matter where you go, there's always going to be bargains and rip-offs to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

It is based on feedback yes. Kilkenny is expensive, last year the fourth most expensive on the island of Ireland according to hotels.com. I think though if you shop around you can get good deals if you book far enough in advance or through websites. No matter where you go, there's always going to be bargains and rip-offs to be had.

I will never understand why Kilkenny is such a rip-off. Until prices are brought down, KK hotels have no chance. There simply is not enough here to warrant such ridiculous prices on par with Dublin. It is ridiculous.

Congrats to Zuni, Rinnicini.... are they still packing people in like sardines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I will never understand why Kilkenny is such a rip-off. Until prices are brought down, KK hotels have no chance. There simply is not enough here to warrant such ridiculous prices on par with Dublin. It is ridiculous.

Congrats to Zuni, Rinnicini.... are they still packing people in like sardines?

I agree. But they're getting the crowds clearly so something must be going right. For people coming out of Dublin for a night away or a weekend, Kilkenny is usually first choice due to location.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Don't forget the hen/stag nights ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Until prices are brought down, KK hotels have no chance.
    I don't understand your statement. It's the hotels who are charging the prices because they can, the demand is there. How are they losing out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Not from Kilkenny but the fact Campagne is not even mentioned would make you question the value of the TripAdvisor's results!

Advertisement