Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Backup Query

• 14-10-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife just upgraded from a 5 to a 6S Plus. Her 5 was only 16GB and therefore she hadn't had the space for the last year or so to upgrade to the latest versions of iOS. Also, she originally synced the 5 with her MacBook but she has the same problem there - her Mac is over 5 years old and is on a really old OS that won't even load up iTunes as it says it needs an update to the OS.

So........we have an iMac. If she were to plug her 5 into it and back it up would it wipe her phone in the process? If not, she could back up the 5 to the iMac and then connect the 6S Plus up afterwards and restore her save. Will this work? She's never connected the 5 to this iMac and I'm not sure how many other devices she may have connected the 5 to over the last 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yes, she can make a backup on iTunes and restore from that, but an iCloud restore would be equally as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Zcott wrote: »
    Yes, she can make a backup on iTunes and restore from that, but an iCloud restore would be equally as good.

Cheers! Just looking at iCloud, 99c a month for 50GB looks pretty good. We also have family sharing. If I upgrade my personal iCloud to 50GB will she benefit from it too? In family sharing, there isn't an option to increase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, iCloud storage can’t be shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

No, iCloud storage can’t be shared.

We both upgraded our iCloud separately. She's now performing a full backup of her 5.

Advertisement