Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert french HELP!!

• 14-10-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey has anyone here done higher level french for the leaving cert please I need to know how the exam was like for others sat it. Is it hard???? I'm thinking of dropping but my teacher sais I shouldn't. I'm trying to pass or get at least a C3 for my french l.c exam I've never failed higher but I've been getting mainly D1's what should I do to get a C3 or not fail higher french for my leaving???? Need advice :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 gerard98

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Hey has anyone here done higher level french for the leaving cert please I need to know how the exam was like for others sat it. Is it hard???? I'm thinking of dropping but my teacher sais I shouldn't. I'm trying to pass or get at least a C3 for my french l.c exam I've never failed higher but I've been getting mainly D1's what should I do to get a C3 or not fail higher french for my leaving???? Need advice :(

Asking if the exam is hard is a bit subjective to be fair. You get in what you put out at the end of the day and the people who tell you if the exam is hard or easy won't be doing your exam for you on the day.

If your teacher says you shouldn't drop then you shouldn't or at least talk to your school guidance counselor before making any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 biosci

I sat my leaving last year and at the start of 6th year I decided to bite the bullet and get grinds. I went to a local French school with native French speakers teaching me and the three others in the class. Classes were completely in French and we were encouraged to speak to each other outside of the class in only French. We worked primarily off papers with a major focus on the oral. The pace at which my French improved was absolutely astronomical. So if you have the option of attending extra French lessons absolutely go for it.

I also did a paper once a week from November and gave them to a French teacher in my school to correct (not my own as I found they bumped my marks up idk). She marked harshly and this really helped. For the months of April/May I aimed to do a French paper a day and got them corrected. This really helped to familiarise myself with the exam content.

I also spent a LOT of time on oral work. I wrote everything down in English then translated it all to French, got a teacher to perfect the grammar, etc. then recorded myself reading it until I got the accent perfect (the accent counts for more in the exam than you'd think!) and listened to this back constantly - walking to the bus, getting ready in the morning, I'd even listen to it over the ipod dock in the shower - this really, really helped get the stuff ingrained in my head.

So basically if you put the work in, it is absolutely possible to pull your grades up. And if you get knuckled down now you'd be well able to get higher than a C3 :)

Advertisement