Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion sensor mat

Options
  • 15-10-2015 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We are still using this on our 17 month old. I find it great for piece of mind but she now ends up rolling away from it or changing position allot and the sensor is now going off more and more for the wrong reasons. What age did you stop using it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

detoxkid wrote: »
    We are still using this on our 17 month old. I find it great for piece of mind but she now ends up rolling away from it or changing position allot and the sensor is now going off more and more for the wrong reasons. What age did you stop using it?

Just before the age of 2 when we took the bars off the cot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What age did you stop using it?

When it became impractical. Eldest, lasted til she was about 2 1/2. Smallie, when she was 18 months.

Sounds like you've reached that point already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

4 months. Too many false alarms. I'm surprised people got to toddlerhood using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Same here she started sleeping down the very end of the cot or whatever at around 12 months and generating false alarms so I plugged that cable out and switched it to the ''sound only'' setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

4 months. Too many false alarms. I'm surprised people got to toddlerhood using it.

That's mad, we've had ours for coming up in six months and never a single false alarm! Maybe you got a faulty one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Still using it at 2years five months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

what age did we stop using it?
    For us first baby was about 6 days old!
    It didn't suit our needs at all as she spent most time in my bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The sensitivity can be adjusted as well actually... I forgot to mention that. Our babies never needed to sleep 'on' them, just in the cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I'm also surprised at this. What kind of bed did you have it in though? It has to be used on a solid flat surface. At that age they don't move around in the bed so I'd be surprised if there were false alarms with the Angel care one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ours got passed from the eldest to his new sister when he was 12 months old. I probably would have kept using it with him for another few months otherwise. He was a real wriggler though so we had a good few heart in mouth moments along the way :eek: Getting the sensitivity right is the key. It's great for peace of mind :)

• Advertisement

We had it set up correctly on a flat surface but we had a very wriggly baby who travelled the cot every night from 4 months. I probably could have tinkered with the sensitivity more than I did but I just found it far too stressful so just stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Still using ours now at 6 months, baby moves from top to bottom of the cot but never had a false alarm as yet.
    Just had a normal monitor on our first & the amount of times I woke him checking on him if he slept longer than usual:o love the sensor mat, great piece of mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I probably could have tinkered with the sensitivity more than I did but I couldn't be bothered so just stopped using it.

FYP.

Go to B&Q. For €10 they will get you the correct size and thickness wood, as stated in the instruction manual, and cut it to the exact size.

Our little one is rolling round all over the cot all night and the alarm never goes off.

Set it up properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    FYP.

Go to B&Q. For €10 they will get you the correct size and thickness wood, as stated in the instruction manual, and cut it to the exact size.

Our little one is rolling round all over the cot all night and the alarm never goes off.

Set it up properly.

Jesus you make it sound like they're somehow being irresponsible by not using it!

We considered getting one, decided against it.

And even if we had, I doubt we'd have used it past the first couple of months. If there are issues with breathing problems or sleep apnoea or whatever, chances are they'll be identified within those first couple of months.

Babies have been reared for a very long time without having their breathing and movement monitored while they're asleep! I doubt I'd bother getting one for the next baby, either, to be honest. The stress of potential false alarms would seem to outweigh the benefits, in my opinion, assuming it was a healthy strong baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Jesus you make it sound like they're somehow being irresponsible by not using it.

No I did not. I was highlighting lasiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

No I did not. I was highlighting lasiness.

She didn't say that she stopped using it out of laziness. She said she found it too stressful.

I'd have probably had a heart attack with even one false alarm from one of those yokes. It didn't seem worth the potential stress to me. Especially seeing as - even if there was a genuine problem - I probably wouldn't be sufficiently trained in first aid to save the baby (if that were even a possibility, depending on what was wrong with him.)

Instead, I've just always been very rigid about safe sleep guidelines. I made sure there was never any risk of strangulation or suffocation in his cot. Made sure the room was always an appropriate temperature. Brought him to all his usual health checks etc.

That was enough peace of mind for me, without actually monitoring his breathing. I mean, ill children in hospital generally don't even need that level of monitoring, unless in intensive care etc. Healthy well children should be absolutely fine at home in their cot, with the usual regular checks from their parents.

FYP.

Set it up properly.

I don't know where you got what you posted but you quoted me incorrectly. Fyi - I actually got the boards cut to the exact size by a carpenter. Would you like a hand getting off your high horse?

Thank you Diamond Doll. As a first time mum I thought this was a must have but I found it didn't give me peace of mind at all. In fact quite the opposite...I was on tenterhooks waiting for the alarm to go off. It got to the stage where even the low battery notification on the handset made me jump. This combined with false alarms from baby moving, was enough to make me atop using it.

Advertisement