Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my girlfriend selfish or am I over reacting?

• 15-10-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going out with my girlfriend (late 20s/early 30s) almost two years now. I work a very physically demanding job. She works in an IT company, sitting at a desk all day.

Anytime she comes over to mine and we're on the couch watching TV she falls asleep. Every, single, time. She has her little nap on the couch and then when it's time for bed she's wide awake and needs to read etc to go back asleep.

She recently took up running and runs 4/5km to and from work everyday. Last night when she came over after her run she was asleep by 8pm on the couch.

I feel like she might as well not have been there. I watched telly, cooked dinner for myself and got some things done around the house. I felt very lonely.

Is she selfish by doing this or am I over reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You're overreacting.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't think she is selfish, but she has gotten herself into bad sleeping patterns for herself, and as a result, it impacts on your evenings together.

But before you talk to her about potential selfishness or whatever, consider suggesting to her to rule out any medical reasons for her fatigue in the evening - some medications / hormonal changes can have a big effect in terms of tiredness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

You just have different routines. It's no big deal.

Why not try to adjust to her routine a little, maybe go for a snuggly snooze with her for an hour or so? Suggest going to bed for a nap, rather than having her fall asleep on the couch when you know it's going to happen anyways.

Just because a job isn't physically demanding doesn't mean she won't be wrecked after a days work, especially if she's running there and back!

I actually think it's quite nice that she feels comfortable enough in the relationship to do that.

You sound a little over-dependent, saying you're lonely because she's gone for a nap, I mean if she wasn't there you'd be alone anyways! If everything else in the relationship is good, it seems a very minor thing to get upset over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I hear ya op, that would probably wreck my head sometimes. I remember I had a girlfriend once who id go to the cinema with, something we may have been looking forward to for a while, and shed fall asleep after 20 mins!
    But yeah she's not selfish and you are overreacting. Leave her to it and do your own thing, you could be together for a very long time plenty of time to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Overreacting, I work in IT and my wife is a doctor, a surgeon so spends most of her 18-24 hour shifts standing or waiting to stand. 5 minutes on the couch on a Friday evening and I can be napping.

Either you're a napper or you're not. I am she isn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Over reacting OP.
    My fella is a terrible sleeper and would stay up until 3 or 4am. I've always loved my sleep and been an early to bed and early to rise kinda gal. I also have a medical condition which makes me tired.

We work around it. I have a nap if I need to be up late. We go to bed at the same time but I go to sleep and he watches stuff on his phone. I get up early and he has a lie in. I'm sure it could bug him that I want to go to sleep by 10pm much the same as it could bug me when I'm up at 8am on a weekend and he stays in bed until noon but what's the point?

We make sure that between naps and early nights and late mornings, we spend some decent quality time together and it works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You are lonely when your gf takes a nap while in your company? Seriously? You are coming across as either very needy or very controlling. I can't decide which. Let the girl have a snooze if she wants. If it doesn't suit you then don't ask her over. Would hope you would be more understanding if you ever had kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'd be pretty annoyed at that OP. If she's not willing to be good company for you, make your own plans and do something that you'll enjoy, or add value to your life with. Your purpose as a boyfriend isn't to provide a comfortable nap place for her. If that's all you pair do together, then break that cycle and do your own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Work around it and make sure you plan time together when suits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I remember reading a thread on here a while back with a girlfriend/wife (who worked an office job) giving out about her boyfriend/husband (who worked a physical job) lacking any understanding and saying things like "how could you be tired? sure you're only sitting at a desk all day!"

OP, just because a job doesn't involve pulling and dragging at things doesn't mean it isn't stressful and mentally tiring. You should cop yourself on and show a bit of understanding! Perhaps you could go for a run together? Or maybe ask her why she's so tired from work or what's stressing her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Dellnum

I would be offended if my partner fell asleep every time she came to my place. I would take it that she is not interested in my company enough to remain awake. I get it that she is tired but if she cannot organize her time better i.e. forget about the running on the nights she calls to you then I would look elsewhere for a partner. Yes, I do think she is a bit selfish and no I don't think you are over reacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dellnum wrote: »
    I would be offended if my partner fell asleep every time she came to my place. I would take it that she is not interested in my company enough to remain awake. I get it that she is tired but if she cannot organize her time better i.e. forget about the running on the nights she calls to you then I would look elsewhere for a partner. Yes, I do think she is a bit selfish and no I don't think you are over reacting.

My dad and brother both fall alseep watching films and tv no matter what you put on. I've never seen it as being selfish or an insult to the company, some people are just more inclind then others. My dad use to blame it on his age but my mum said he was always like that and my brother is exactly the same. If she falls asleep watching tv then just don't watch tv. Find other activites that are more sitmulating.

Doesn't sound like the OP is doing much to interact with her if he's cooking diner just for himself and cleaning around the house....what exactly is she meant to do while he is doing this? Why aren't they cooking meals together? Why doesn't he go run with her? He says she's very awake after having the nap and he's cooking for himself and cleaning while she's alseep so I'm really not getting the issue? He's claiming he's lonely doing this but again if he's only cooking for himself what exactly does he want her to do? Just sit and talk to him? I'd get that sometimes but if she wants a nap and he's busy why not let her have the nap and she's then more awake after? He if gets lonely when she's sleeping what is he going to do if they ever move in together? She can't spend every spare second entertaining him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

Never mind overreacting, are you reacting at all? Have you actually said anything to her about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OhDearyMe wrote: »
    Never mind overreacting, are you reacting at all? Have you actually said anything to her about it?

Good point, unless you actually talk to her about it then how is she supposed to know you are bothered by this? But whatever you do, don't put forward your thoughts in the way you did in your OP because to be honest as someone who "sits at a desk all day" I'm quite insulted that you think this isn't exhausting. Just because people who work in an office aren't physically active doesn't mean the job isn't tiring. When I went through an incredibly stressful time in my job I used to fall asleep on the couch every evening because I was so stressed I spent half the night awake and worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I could be the OPs girlfriend........ I regularly fall asleep in the middle of a movie. My OH works shifts & I'm a Carer.

However my OH laughs about it & gives me a slagging. Definitely an over reaction.

Have you even spoke to her about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is harsh say the op is overreacting. It's an issue that eventually will lead to problems down the road.
    On a side note,I've had both physical and desk jobs and I can honestly say the desk jobs are mentally draining and I was a lot less energetic when I had one. Coupled with the fact that she's running to and from work seems very exhausting.
    I would have a chat with her op. Just express the need to spend more quality time together and see if there is anyway around this issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Knine wrote:
    However my OH laughs about it & gives me a slagging. Definitely an over reaction.

That's disgraceful!
    He needs a good mouthful with an attitude like that!
    Have you reprimanded him about demeaning your work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

That's disgraceful!

Where in the post did she say her OH's demeaning her job? :confused: I took it as being a light-hearted exchange. I assume you're joking, right?

OP, I don't think your girlfriend's being selfish but I definitely think it's something you should talk about. You could come at it from a concern point of view. Are you feeling OK. Every time you come over to visit you fall asleep on the couch. I'd love to be able to talk to you but you're asleep. Definitely don't mention words like lonely or selfish. See where the conversation takes you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

That's disgraceful!

I mean he laughs about me falling asleep. Believe me he knows how difficult the caring role is. He is a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It sounds pretty unfulfilling but I don't see how it could be viewed as selfish unless there is something outside of your home you would rather be doing and you are stuck watching your girlfriend sleep instead.

When it is time for bed and she is reading are you able to get to sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Women have less red blood cells than men. Factor in fatigue. Actually, don't. There probably are a wealth of other factors. Maybe you're boring the balls off her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

lonelyone wrote: »

Anytime she comes over to mine and we're on the couch watching TV she falls asleep. Every, single, time. She has her little nap on the couch and then when it's time for bed she's wide awake and needs to read etc to go back asleep.

She recently took up running and runs 4/5km to and from work everyday. Last night when she came over after her run she was asleep by 8pm on the couch.

I feel like she might as well not have been there.

Well I dont think you are over reacting OP because that would p*** me off too - why bother coming over to see you at all if she is just going to kip on the couch! Might as well stay at home IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Dovies wrote: »
    Well I dont think you are over reacting OP because that would p*** me off too - why bother coming over to see you at all if she is just going to kip on the couch! Might as well stay at home IMO

But sometimes it's nice to just be comfortable enough with someone that you can just totally relax in their company, even if that involves napping!

It would be different if the OP had other plans for the evening, then she insisted on him cancelling so that she could come over, and then spent the evening asleep.

But if he was doing nothing anyways, I think it's kind of sweet that she'd rather spend the evening with him - even if she was wrecked - rather than both of them being home alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

But sometimes it's nice to just be comfortable enough with someone that you can just totally relax in their company, even if that involves napping!

Yes you are right but every single time she comes over! If someone came to my house and kipped on the couch every time I wouldnt be very impressed - especially then if they wake up to go to bed and read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

lonelyone wrote: »
    I'm going out with my girlfriend (late 20s/early 30s) almost two years now. I work a very physically demanding job. She works in an IT company, sitting at a desk all day.

I feel like she might as well not have been there. I watched telly, cooked dinner for myself and got some things done around the house. I felt very lonely.

Is she selfish by doing this or am I over reacting?

In my opinion, the biggest problem here is why you can't talk about this with her and work it out?

I don't have all the details, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I think it's kind of sweet that she'd rather spend the evening with him - even if she was wrecked - rather than both of them being home alone.

He is essentially home alone except he can't leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@discus - I have removed your post as it was off-topic. Please use the Report Post function if you have an issue with a post or poster.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ok on the one hand I agree that she must be fairly happy and relaxed in your company to got for a snooze on the couch.

I work in an office job 9-5 and I am often exhausted after, and it's more mental tiredness. I hope you don't think that office workers spend their time playing solitaire and browsing facebook. A lot of the work requires concentration, problem solving and can be stressful. Also being in an office the air quality is usually poor and can make you feel fatigued.

However, do you actually plan or do anything when she calls over? I know when I sit down and relax at home after work, I get lazy and I can possibly nap. But if I stay up, and make myself busy, I'm ok.

Maybe if you did things together, went for a walk, cycle, swim, cooked dinner together, ate dinner at a kitchen table, went out to see friends or to the pub, it might keep her awake longer. But if it's a case that she lands over to your house and ye just sit on the sofa all evening watching tv, well it's no wonder she falls asleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Does she fall asleep when you're doing stuff other than watching TV? Maybe she doesn't find TV interesting. Maybe you could try doing something more stimulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

How often does she do it, like 90%+, less than 50% etc of the times she is over? Because it matters how often we are talking about here.
    Best thing to do would be to discuss it. Though I dont think its fair to nap everytime you are together and then shes wide awake later in the night, if it is very frequent. Naps can usually be avoided by keeping yourself a bit active or engaged in something. Maybe she could avoid napping and both of u go to bed a bit earlier and get up earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i don't think you are over reacting , I think she is disrespectful constantly falling asleep on you.

It's like her time with you isn't considered valuable.

Advertisement